Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Ford Explorer Platinum ST

Reactions
That last sentence is what ultimately got me to rethink my plans. Throwing a predator in an Explorer would have been super awesome, but at the end of the day, the entire drivetrain would have had to be replaced which would easily have put the stage 2 part of the build into the 6 figures. I seriously love the Explorer. It's a fantastic platform to be sure and so much fun to drive. The reality is, as everyone said many times over, this platform was never intended to be a 700+ awhp.
One thing I will say, I don't see people saying that they've popped their Nano 2.7's. Though they're not the same engine, there are a lot of similarities. It's not exactly a big brother/little brother relationship. They don't share many parts. My gut tells me these could run around with 100 HP less than you were seeking.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Me too! Initially I wanted the Durango Hellcat, but the interior on the Dodges feel too plastic. We'll see how close we can get performance wise with the Explorer...hopefully without breaking the bank. I hope it'll be a fun long term project :)
I don’t know about the platinum but the ST interior is made with way more creaky cracky plastic than any Dodge I’ve ever been in. The seat is also super noisy around turns as well. The seats offer zero lateral support as well. There is no way new Durango has a cheaper interior, and certainly no way it’s worse than the Explorer even if it were cheaper.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Thread Starter #203
I don’t know about the platinum but the ST interior is made with way more creaky cracky plastic than any Dodge I’ve ever been in. The seat is also super noisy around turns as well. The seats offer zero lateral support as well. There is no way new Durango has a cheaper interior, and certainly no way it’s worse than the Explorer even if it were cheaper.
After having test driven the Durango SRT Hellcat I found the interior to be on a whole nother level from the R/T we had test driven prior to. The Platinum has much more leather and premium materials than the lower Explorer trim levels seem to. The Hellcat appeared to be the same. No complaints on interior materials at all. I will miss the massaging seats until I find someone to remedy that for me, but the seats were comfortable and felt solid/well made. Suade headliner, leather wrapped dash, carbon trim pieces. It's no Platinum, but my initial impression is that it's up there...which one should expect given it's price point.

One thing I will say, I don't see people saying that they've popped their Nano 2.7's. Though they're not the same engine, there are a lot of similarities. It's not exactly a big brother/little brother relationship. They don't share many parts. My gut tells me these could run around with 100 HP less than you were seeking.
That is my impression as well. 550-600awhp and they'd likely be fine for the long haul. This gave me pause to lower my expectations/goals and keep this one, but ultimately I knew I wouldn't be happy. With the Durango SRT Hellcat being released for one "last" year, I figured now was the time to pull the trigger and get everything I wanted rather than buying one used down the road and settling for what was available at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions
Not gonna lie, the interior of the ST is not fantastic. Definitely has a cheaper feel about it. My wife drives MB and I am coming from top of the line trucks and full sized SUV's. It was definitely a step down in interior quality and feel IMO. Not the reason I bought is and as far as the rest of the package goes performance and value and space, I can over look the interior. Cheap interior and all I am really happy with mine so far.

Regarding the suggested limit of the motor for reliability, I would agree. I think 550-600 it tops for long term reliability. Definitely much easier to extract bigger power out of a V8 without punishing the motor. This TTV6 is quite different for me and I am liking it. Just not gonna plan on 700HP like my CTSV. I'm considering a fueling upgrade to get above where I am now but not sure I want to push it that far.

Sorry to hear the project is not continuing. I have been lurking in this thread for quite a while.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Thread Starter #205
Not gonna lie, the interior of the ST is not fantastic. Definitely has a cheaper feel about it. My wife drives MB and I am coming from top of the line trucks and full sized SUV's. It was definitely a step down in interior quality and feel IMO.
Well some lucky duck is in luck! The Platinum ST gives you the best of both worlds. Higher quality interior from the Platinum with the performance and styling of the ST. I'm sure the ST badging could be added for those who really want that look.

I'm curious to see what, if any, speed/acceleration difference there is between the two.

Sorry to hear the project is not continuing. I have been lurking in this thread for quite a while.
Yeah...sorry about that. I'm pretty bummed as well :cry: