Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG Launch Strategy

Reactions
I'm seeing a trend in data logs so I want to revisit the launch strategy (not the trans brake) . All new tunes have the launch strategy update. To use it do the following

-pump the brakes
-push brake pedal all the to the floor
-go directly to 100% pedal position

It's important that you don't hesitate getting that pedal to floor, there are processes that need to happen that a driven of pedal position. If you bring it up slow or don't get to 100% on the pedal you have a higher chance of spinning.

That being said the default setting when you get my tune is going to be high, pretty much as much as the brakes will hold. Right at the 3000 rpm in first and 3500 ish in second. If you need it turned down just aks for it in a change request. Also remember those second gear launches are more consistent on crappy surfaces!

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/0Y0PL4...DdblBw5w9gh-Jlb0Rs8MUU6ktj2_NTEPjlTAoUXTDTkrc

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
When you say “new” tunes have the new strategy, what start date does that mean?

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
When you say “new” tunes have the new strategy, what start date does that mean?
Everything after April last year.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
How much to update an older tune to include the new launch strategy?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm not sure of today's technology by comparison but in the past, brake launching (what we used to call power braking) wreaked havoc on the converter. In fact, I had blown a front seal on the tranny. I rarely had done it so it wasn't previously abused. Are today's converters and transmissions up to the task of repeated launches in this technique?

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I'm not sure of today's technology by comparison but in the past, brake launching (what we used to call power braking) wreaked havoc on the converter. In fact, I had blown a front seal on the tranny. I rarely had done it so it wasn't previously abused. Are today's converters and transmissions up to the task of repeated launches in this technique?
Totally different ball game these days. As long as you don't over heat your transmission you're good to go. It's also the only way to launch.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Totally different ball game these days. As long as you don't over heat your transmission you're good to go. It's also the only way to launch.

Ok, thanks for your thoughts on this.
In your opinion, what would it take to overheat the transmission? I would think a prolonged uphill pull with excess weight. Launching is such a short duration it wouldn't seem like that would apply.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Pulling on a hill with the converter locked is not too bad. But an unlocked converter generates lots of heat over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I'm seeing a trend in data logs so I want to revisit the launch strategy (not the trans brake) . All new tunes have the launch strategy update. To use it do the following

-pump the brakes
-push brake pedal all the to the floor
-go directly to 100% pedal position

It's important that you don't hesitate getting that pedal to floor, there are processes that need to happen that a driven of pedal position. If you bring it up slow or don't get to 100% on the pedal you have a higher chance of spinning.
Sorry from a laymen perspective can you explain a little more? So pump the brakes a few times and then push the brake pedal to the floor I get..but the go directly to 100% pedal position lost me. Assume that means the accelerator right? So pump brakes with left foot and then push to the floor. Then accelerator with right all the way to the floor? And that will hold the revs for launch then just let go of the brakes to go right?

Explorer ST Posts