Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wireless CarPlay

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm testing this one now but it does not pass through media info. I'm trying to get the developer to address. It supports wireless android auto and carplay and also has an android UI for chromecast/airplay when connected to wifi. Sadly, iPhone hotspot does not let you airplay from the same phone that is providing the personal hotspot blah... you need a second phone connected to the hotspot to do the casting or use a standalone hotspot/wifi network). It would be nice if they can get the media metadata working for our cars for it:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Android-Navigation-Mirroring-YouTube/dp/B09TZZRZPH/ref=sr_1_13?crid=3HVA4OMMGXNXA&keywords=carplay+dongle&qid=1649113062&sprefix=carplay+dongle,aps,81&sr=8-13
Besides the casting feature, you can still use Netflix, YouTube etc through the device? Only devices I’ve seen do that cost over $200.

Reactions
Besides the casting feature, you can still use Netflix, YouTube etc through the device? Only devices I’ve seen do that cost over $200.
No this device is a minimal Andriod OS. No google play store or ability to side load APKs. It only supports casting when in the android OS of this box. This is not a full AI box like you are describing.

Here is a full ai box for less than $ 200 I've tested and it works but again no media info pass through: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Android-Adapter-YouTube-CarPlay/dp/B09HJCB3M5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1INEK6RD1GT0Z&keywords=CarPlay+ai+box&qid=1649122497&sprefix=carplay+ai+box,aps,59&sr=8-4&th=1

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No this device is a minimal Andriod OS. No google play store or ability to side load APKs. It only supports casting when in the android OS of this box. This is not a full AI box like you are describing.

Here is a full ai box for less than $ 200 I've tested and it works but again no media info pass through: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Android-Adapter-YouTube-CarPlay/dp/B09HJCB3M5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1INEK6RD1GT0Z&keywords=CarPlay+ai+box&qid=1649122497&sprefix=carplay+ai+box,aps,59&sr=8-4&th=1
Thanks for info.

I think I’m finally getting annoyed at the incorrect song and artist info. What is the best device at this point? Not looking to spend much since eventually I’ll get a full android box but overall I think they are still too expensive for as little as I may use it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I was pretty bummed out that my 22 ST didn't have wireless Apple CarPlay but I don't mind plugging my phone in. Charges it while I'm driving and a hard-wired connection will always be better than wireless most of the time anyways.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Okay so I bought the KAVIMN CarPlay device….wow! I only used it a couple times but the connection speed is worlds better than my carlinkit 3.0 mini. In fact I think I took 2 seconds if that. I couldn’t believe it. For $50 or so, absolutely worth it.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So I seem to be having a weird bug where it’s renaming my iPhone. Like I’ll have a number in parentheses after my iPhone. Has never happened until I started using this device. I fixed the name yesterday and now it’s doing it again. Nothing else is different.

Reactions
So I seem to be having a weird bug where it’s renaming my iPhone. Like I’ll have a number in parentheses after my iPhone. Has never happened until I started using this device. I fixed the name yesterday and now it’s doing it again. Nothing else is different.
Ah so you are the guy in the Facebook group :cool: that is so strange about the phone name issue.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Ah so you are the guy in the Facebook group :cool: that is so strange about the phone name issue.
Haha yeah that’s me. I’m gonna see how it behaves this week. It’s weird and I don’t get it. I’m hoping it was some other issue.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well I’m returning the kavimn one. Completely stopped connecting. The boot screen would pop up but it wouldn’t connect. Tried unplugging and plugging back in, no go. Tried unpairing for Bluetooth and WiFi. Now it won’t even pair at all.

Back to using my carlinkit. I got use to seeing the correct music display on the screen but I also need it to launch.

EDIT: just for the heck of it, I tried the usb cable from my carlinkit adapter with the kavimn. It worked. Bad cable I guess? So I will keep trying it. Does anyone know how to update the firmware for that one though? I tried the 192. Address like you do the carlinkit it but nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions
Well I’m returning the kavimn one. Completely stopped connecting. The boot screen would pop up but it wouldn’t connect. Tried unplugging and plugging back in, no go. Tried unpairing for Bluetooth and WiFi. Now it won’t even pair at all.

Back to using my carlinkit. I got use to seeing the correct music display on the screen but I also need it to launch.

EDIT: just for the heck of it, I tried the usb cable from my carlinkit adapter with the kavimn. It worked. Bad cable I guess? So I will keep trying it. Does anyone know how to update the firmware for that one though? I tried the 192. Address like you do the carlinkit it but nothing.
Should be 192.168.2.1 for the kavmin.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks that worked. Although when I try to do the update it gets stuck on the APP update. Stays at 1%.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Any luck trying to install the newest app firmware 3.6.2 for the KAVMIN? It'll download but when it reboots, doesn't seem to want to install the new package.

Reactions
Any luck trying to install the newest app firmware 3.6.2 for the KAVMIN? It'll download but when it reboots, doesn't seem to want to install the new package.
Negative. Does not install after downloading. Guess we’ll have to wait for another version.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Any updates or recommendations? I just returned the autobox because the connection is just so labile and at times it just won’t ever connect. My carlinkit 3 mini is still hands down the most dependable device I’ve used. Just the music doesn’t always sync properly.

returned the Ankeway 1006 as well for similar issues as well as kavimn. Although the latter worked actually well but I got stuck at the intro screen and couldn’t get it to go away.

Reactions
Anyone tried the Magic Link wireless adapter? I’ve been seeing this thing pop up everywhere on social media. That could tell me all I need to know lol

https://trymagicbox.com/products/the-magic-link
its literally a rebranded carlinkit 3.0 dongle. They are just a third party distributor based on review of their products.

Reactions
Is there anything new out there? My Anker just quit working

corbin98

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I’m not sure about anything new, but just to throw it out there my car linkit 3.0 has been working flawlessly since I purchased it.

Reactions
I’m not sure about anything new, but just to throw it out there my car linkit 3.0 has been working flawlessly since I purchased it.
Do you have any issues with the correct song being displayed? I had one of those (not the 3.0) and it would always display the wrong track info.