Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wireless CarPlay

Reactions
No issues on my 14 pro with 16.0.3 and wireless CarPlay. Currently using the awesafe adapter.
Is this the one you have ?

Link

Reactions
https://www.amazon.com/AutoSky-Wireless-CarPlay-Adapter-Factory/dp/B09WTTSXMQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

or

https://www.amazon.com/AWESAFE-Wireless-CarPlay-Adapter-Factory/dp/B09P2ZQ8QJ/ref=sr_1_31?crid=38ERYNUS7Z8R5&keywords=kavmin+carplay&qid=1670102509&sprefix=kavmin+carplay,aps,50&sr=8-31&th=1

These have been working well for me in my Ford and VW.

Note: to install update on these types

1.) Shut off bluetooth on your iPhone
2.) Plug the dongle into a USB power source (NOT THE CARPLAY PORT ON CAR)
3.) Connect to the dongle's WiFi using pw: 88888888
4.) Visit 192.168.2.1
5.) Upgrade or rollback at the bottom of the menu.
6.) Once complete it will ask you to unplug the dongle and you can turn on your iPhone's bluetooth and move the dongle back to your CarPlay USB port.
7.) Once your wireless CarPlay connection is established you can check that the update took or change any dongle settings available by going back to 192.168.2.1

Hope that helps!

Reactions
Any luck trying to install the newest app firmware 3.6.2 for the KAVMIN? It'll download but when it reboots, doesn't seem to want to install the new package.
See my post above, finally figured it out...

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Seconded on the awesafe. Thing has been very solid for me. In fact I don’t even want to update the firmware. Unless it adds features or something. Would hate to screw up the stability of it right now.

Reactions
Seconded on the awesafe. Thing has been very solid for me. In fact I don’t even want to update the firmware. Unless it adds features or something. Would hate to screw up the stability of it right now.
I did the update and saw no ill affect, might actually load up a little faster. Boot screen is simplified. You can also roll back to any previous version if you need to right in the update section.

Last edited:

Greyghost

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Still cannot believe a 2020+ $50k SUV does not have wireless carplay....
You and me both! Took mine to the dealer to hear it from the horses mouth. 2020 does NOT have wireless CarPlay...womp womp

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not sure why my experience with KAVIMN and Autosky are not as positive as other members here. For me, very often they will just not connect. After rebooting iphone, rebooting SYNC, resetting network settings on phone, if it still doesn't work, I have to delete the bluetooth/wifi profiles and re-pair the device from scratch. Oh, and only the older firmware works not the newer ones.

This Smartbox unit seems to work much better after having it a week now. Very consistent in connecting. Passes the song title to the cluster and console correctly. A joy to use.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYNG8TNG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

But I also bought the Etsy key-pocket hardwired phone mount to use when and if the wireless acts up and I don't want to deal with it. Really good quality design and fits great.
ford-explorer-2020-iphone-charger-holder

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not sure why my experience with KAVIMN and Autosky are not as positive as other members here. For me, very often they will just not connect. After rebooting iphone, rebooting SYNC, resetting network settings on phone, if it still doesn't work, I have to delete the bluetooth/wifi profiles and repair the device from scratch. Oh, and only the older firmware works not the newer ones.

This Smartbox unit seems to work much better after having it a week now. Very consistent in connecting. Passes the song title to the cluster and console correctly. A joy to use.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYNG8TNG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

But I also bought the Etsy key-pocket hardwired phone mount to use when and if the wireless acts up and I don't want to deal with it. Really good quality design and fits great.
ford-explorer-2020-iphone-charger-holder
My experience has been these adapters tend to lose there effectiveness over time. Sorta seems that but I can’t confirm that. My awesafe adapter works maybe 95% of the time. It use to be like 98%. So it’s still hanging in there and doesn’t bother me as much but I’ve noticed me having repair the Bluetooth connection more often.

This morning it actually happened. I just said screw it and unplugged it. My work commute is only 10 min. On way home from work, it fired right up. Think they can just have their glitches sometimes.

I wish a reputable brand would come out with one like Moto did for AA.

Reactions
I’m still having good luck with all the autosky brand adapters on Amazon with the latest update on them. They are the same firmware as the kavmin adapter I posted earlier in here so if you already have that one just run and update on it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Decided to drop $150 on a PAIRR Android box. As suspected, despite there being Netflix and Youtube, the latest SYNC update cannot handle mirroring features without bugging out. Seems the device being an Android can’t seem to communicate song titles to SYNC.

The device itself has poor heat management. Tbh Ford isn’t going to remedy this any time soon.

Reactions
Decided to drop $150 on a PAIRR Android box. As suspected, despite there being Netflix and Youtube, the latest SYNC update cannot handle mirroring features without bugging out. Seems the device being an Android can’t seem to communicate song titles to SYNC.

The device itself has poor heat management. Tbh Ford isn’t going to remedy this any time soon.
Yea all the AI boxes are pretty much the same

There are only a few that pass media info while using them for wireless carplay/AA but not for the android host OS.

Reactions

FYI the carlinkit T box is passing along media info from android OS as well as wireless CarPlay perfectly after the latest update.

It was listed in the change log that they got it working and I just tested it and it’s functioning perfectly. 5/4/2023 version of OS can be found here:

https://www.carlinkit.com/download.html

Unzip file password is “chel” You have to unzip the zip file within the first zip (even though it tells you you don’t)

image.jpg
image.jpg

AdamJ132

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just a heads up for those that are looking for a wireless CarPlay solution, I just received my CarPlay2Air unit (carplay2air.com). Bottom line is that it works well in the ST, but didn’t work correctly out of the box. It kept attempting to make an initial connection, never displayed anything cleanly on the screen (a bunch of artifacting and gibberish), then disconnected. I was getting ready to pack it back up and ask for a refund, but gave the software update process a shot, and it worked!

If anyone else purchases the CarPlay2Air, just know that you’ll need to follow the instructions for upgrading to get it to work correctly. One last thing, I emailed them before I purchased to ask about any discounts, and the guy sent me back 10% off - use code 10NOW when you checkout.
I’m going to try 50NOW…

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Since this thread was just awaken, anyone stumble on any new good wireless CarPlay android boxes? Looks like they’ve really come down in prices but all these listings on Amazon, have me skeptical.

Reactions
Since this thread was just awaken, anyone stumble on any new good wireless CarPlay android boxes? Looks like they’ve really come down in prices but all these listings on Amazon, have me skeptical.
the android boxes are all the same for the most part. If you have a lot of time to tinker they are cool toys but totally impractical to use while driving.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
the android boxes are all the same for the most part. If you have a lot of time to tinker they are cool toys but totally impractical to use while driving.
Gotcha. That's why I never wanted to jump in at $200-300. But at <$100, it's tempting.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
I just got The Magic Box 2 today. It connects pretty quickly, not quite as quickly as the native system in the Hellrango, but still very consistent. I haven't had time to play with the streaming portion, but seems pretty cool. I'm not super keen on the screen layout, but I'm guessing that is the drawback of the Sync3 system with a portrait screen. Haven't played around with it to see if there is any room for reconfiguring via the Magic Box settings.