Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wireless CarPlay

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Interesting!

I wonder how long it'll be before it's carried by Amazon. I noticed some of their Amazon listing now list Carlinkit 3.0 instead of 2.0. Looks the same but appears to be a thinner device. Likely the innards are different but running the same software.

Reactions
Interesting!

I wonder how long it'll be before it's carried by Amazon. I noticed some of their Amazon listing now list Carlinkit 3.0 instead of 2.0. Looks the same but appears to be a thinner device. Likely the innards are different but running the same software.
well it came in the mail today and it’s on the latest firmware and working great so far!

better audio quality I’m noticing than the carlinkit 2.0 as well. Made a quick unboxing vid don’t kill me not a YouTuber just trying to help people interested in the dongle! Lol

def recommend this since it’s cheaper and faster!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks for the review. So you think it connects faster? If so, that plus better audio would be worth the upgrade.

Reactions
Thanks for the review. So you think it connects faster? If so, that plus better audio would be worth the upgrade.
yea it’s definitely a new chipset audio sounds clearer to me. I haven’t tried making a call yet but will at some point today.

Reactions
Nothing bad to report. Connection has been stable and functional. I’m hoping for a hot day to come so I can see if heat affects it like the Carlinkit 2.0.

yea it’s definitely a new chipset audio sounds clearer to me. I haven’t tried making a call yet but will at some point today.

Reactions
So its definitely more stable.

Only time I ever have an issue is when I run waze (in the app not the shared nav, search, & media carplay homescreen) and its 90 degress outside and the car was baking so the dongle gets hot. This one deals with it slightly better than the old 2.0 but still occurs. I believe Waze is not very well optimized for Carplay. I'll have to try apple maps since that very well may work fine in the heat as it likely uses less resources and is coded properly for wireless carplay.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah, Waze sometimes is frozen on my previous location and won't change. I have to go to the phone and shut down Waze, then re-launch it. Apple Maps is definitely less buggy with Carplay but the new user reports feature introduced with iOS14.5...seems like no one except me uses. Have never had ANY accident or police reports using it around town and on a trip. Too bad too because you submit user reports using your voice. I gave up and went back to Waze.

Reactions
Yeah, Waze sometimes is frozen on my previous location and won't change. I have to go to the phone and shut down Waze, then re-launch it. Apple Maps is definitely less buggy with Carplay but the new user reports feature introduced with iOS14.5...seems like no one except me uses. Have never had ANY accident or police reports using it around town and on a trip. Too bad too because you submit user reports using your voice. I gave up and went back to Waze.
New update came out today for the wireless carplay dongles. I can confirm it’s working fine so go ahead and update to version 8302021. If you get a discolored screen after it installs on first bootup just disconnect the dongle and reboot it and it clears up.

GBVx

Reactions
An Amazon search reveals lots of different options - if you dont mind, can you see if you can figure out which one is the most recent version on Amazon and link to it?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
An Amazon search reveals lots of different options - if you dont mind, can you see if you can figure out which one is the most recent version on Amazon and link to it?
This is the listing I ordered back in May. Looks like they changed the title to Audi Porsche VW Hyundai. But my review is there. I highly recommend updating to the latest firmware on delivery. Everything works with very few issues. Areas that have high powered 2.4Ghz signals (jails/police stations) can distort your connection but once you pass far enough it’ll reconnect.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086HLD3LD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_VXHXo5jp3RKCM

Reactions

Carlinkit Mini Wireless CarPlay Adapter for Factory Wired Apple CarPlay Cars, Wired to Wireless CarPlay for Enjoy Intelligent Life,Fit The car from 2017 to 2021,for iPhone with iOS Version https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CGGRGQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z1EDP0K8KEK8R2NHMPYM

Or

CarlinKit 3.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter USB for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars (Model Year: 2019 to 2020), Wireless CarPlay Dongle Convert Wired to Wireless CarPlay https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P1GWQDB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dl_HWDFE49G3G09W57D00FS?psc=1

These are the most current listings on Amazon. The mini is the newest release.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I really can't tell if the Mini is any faster or sounds any better. It does suffer from the same heat issues as the larger Carlinkit--when used on long trips or if you park you car outside on a hot sunny day. Still, most of the time, the mini or the regular Carlinkit works fine and I'm pleased with it.

Reactions
I really can't tell if the Mini is any faster or sounds any better. It does suffer from the same heat issues as the larger Carlinkit--when used on long trips or if you park you car outside on a hot sunny day. Still, most of the time, the mini or the regular Carlinkit works fine and I'm pleased with it.
The update they released at the end of august helped with overheating although it also cooled down now so I won't know until next summer how much it truly helped!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The update they released at the end of august helped with overheating although it also cooled down now so I won't know until next summer how much it truly helped!
Pretty sure I'm up to date. Have had a handful of times it would not connect after car sitting outside in the sun when it was only in the 80s. Have also taken a trip recently and after a few hours of driving, the thing is hot and just shuts down.

Reactions
Pretty sure I'm up to date. Have had a handful of times it would not connect after car sitting outside in the sun when it was only in the 80s. Have also taken a trip recently and after a few hours of driving, the thing is hot and just shuts down.
I got a longer USB C cable for it and have it outside of the storage cubby. Seems to help tremendously with the heat.

Reactions
Found a cheap wireless CarPlay dongle that actually works and passes through media/track info consistently to the car!

It’s on sale for $59 right now too. The AW1006 also support airplay mirroring.

Way better than my carlinkit and ottocast adapters so I thought I would share!

ANKEWAY Wireless CarPlay Adapter for The Cars with The Factory Original Wired CarPlay (Model Year: 2017 to 2021), Wireless CarPlay Dongle Convert Wired CarPlay to Wireless CarPlay (AW1006) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q8B2D9...t_i_P1KT5AW42JET3H44J410?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Found a cheap wireless CarPlay dongle that actually works and passes through media/track info consistently to the car!

It’s on sale for $59 right now too. I’ve tried both the AW1006 and AW1008 both perform the same just one has a detachable cable and the other is fixed. They also support airplay mirroring.

Way better than my carlinkit and ottocast adapters so I thought I would share!

ANKEWAY Wireless CarPlay Adapter for The Cars with The Factory Original Wired CarPlay (Model Year: 2017 to 2021), Wireless CarPlay Dongle Convert Wired CarPlay to Wireless CarPlay (AW1006) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q8B2D9...t_i_P1KT5AW42JET3H44J410?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
What do you get with the airplay mirroring?
My carlinkit works great.

Reactions
What do you get with the airplay mirroring?
My carlinkit works great.
ability to cast video from apps using airplay or mirror your phone screen on the radio. But you can’t use wireless carplay and airplay mirroring at the same time. The dongle needs to be restarted to switch between the modes.

Reactions
New update out today for the carlinkit dongles. New settings menu now so it’s a big feature update

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
New update out today for the carlinkit dongles. New settings menu now so it’s a big feature update
What does those new setting menus offer you? Any other changes especially connection related?

we just update those by going to to that 192..etc address right?