Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whipple intercooler

msota84

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I’ve always felt like it has to have some effect but tons of IC’s come painted so I guess it’s negligible.
LOL, then on a black one, it MUST be painted!!! Just not too heavy!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I would think a light fogging of black paint would net virtually zero negative results. They did this with copper/brass radiators for decades of course it's mostly about aluminum these days. That said, I couldn't prove it and don't know anyone with the setup to do so. If I wanted it blacked out (if I had one I probably would) I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

Reactions
Where have you guys been getting your Whipple intercoolers? I ordered one from Whoosh 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped. Ron said they were waiting on brackets and would ship. Loosing faith
I ordered from Whoosh as well and it's all on Whipple as it's drop shipped. I was in the same boat where I got a shipping notification but it took a couple weeks for it to actually ship due to brackets as well. It may take some time but I'm sure it will ship.

Reactions
Here is the answer to the black intercooler thing:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
As I said, I wouldn't hesitate to make mine black. That said, I watched the video, it is a very small sampling to prove anything one way or the other.

F=MA

Reactions
I painted the front and end tanks flat black but left the backside unpainted.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well, that video is entertaining; like most of the mighty mods videos, but as far as it being an answer...it is NOT. 99% of the cooling of the intercooler is done by the fins between the compressed air channels, and the effectiveness of the intercooler is all about the surface area of those fins. If you think spraying any type of "insulation" is going to increase the emissisivity or radiation (especially an etching primer followed by paint of any color), you aren't thinking about the problem correctly! As long as you contain the paint to the front or back side of the compressed air channels and not to the cooling fins, it probably doesn't make much difference, but keep any insulating material off the fins.

Having said that, there may in fact be some type of coating that one could apply to the fins that might enhance the surface area (think a pebbling effect), while not insulating the fins, but I'm not aware of such. But if you think painting an intercooler black is going to help anything but stylishness, I'm going to disagree.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Actually, I think the silver would be more palatable if they'd leave the Whipple lettering off of it. I don't like someone insisting that I advertise for them. Manufacturers' names on tailpipes get to me too. That's just me. A little carb cleaner would probably cure the Whipple name issue for me.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I really hope the lettering can be removed; I will most certainly find out once it is received :) I don't notice it on @UNBROKEN 's pic. I think it actually looks good, kinda cool in that pic.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine never had their name painted on it to begin with.

Reactions
Actually, I think the silver would be more palatable if they'd leave the Whipple lettering off of it. I don't like someone insisting that I advertise for them. Manufacturers' names on tailpipes get to me too. That's just me. A little carb cleaner would probably cure the Whipple name issue for me.
My Whipple IC does not have the "Whipple" logo on it, nor have any other ones I've seen.

I agree with Tmac as well. Any sort of coating on the fins can impede heat transfer. If you have an hour to kill and want to paint the other parts black then tape off the fins and spray away.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
My Whipple IC does not have the "Whipple" logo on it, nor have any other ones I've seen.

I agree with Tmac as well. Any sort of coating on the fins can impede heat transfer. If you have an hour to kill and want to paint the other parts black then tape off the fins and spray away.
Hell you can’t even see the other parts through the grille…the edge of the weld along the end tank but that’s it.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
i actually think "whipple" being stenciled on the intercooler was for promotional images only. i have not seen a single one in the wild that has that. mine certainly does not.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Good to know. I've probably assumed too much. I know Full Race did this and it wasn't my favorite.

Reactions
Hell you can’t even see the other parts through the grille…the edge of the weld along the end tank but that’s it.
exactly. This isn't an "in your face" front mount intercooler you see on STIs or Hondas. You REALLY have to look for the IC on the ST, Whipple or OEM.

Reactions
GearHead I knew I liked you, I'm the same way. First thing I do when I buy a car, is remove the dealer's name or badging and license plate frame. Didn't pay 60k to be a traveling billboard. IC due next week. I'll try the carb cleaner and report back. Cheers

Reactions
GearHead I knew I liked you, I'm the same way. First thing I do when I buy a car, is remove the dealer's name or badging and license plate frame. Didn't pay 60k to be a traveling billboard. IC due next week. I'll try the carb cleaner and report back. Cheers
You won’t need to, the name isn’t on them.

Attachments

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
With a little luck, you won't need it. Seems others haven't. With respect to the dealer's name on the cars, I've worked with the same dealership/salesman for 20 years. It's understood that when my vehicles arrive they'll deliver them to me in the plastic and untouched.

Reactions
Mine doesn't have the name written either. I was wondering if it was a fake lol.

Reactions
With a little luck, you won't need it. Seems others haven't. With respect to the dealer's name on the cars, I've worked with the same dealership/salesman for 20 years. It's understood that when my vehicles arrive they'll deliver them to me in the plastic and untouched.
I think I remember you saying that a while ago. I didn't know that was a thing. I've never ordered a new vehicle. Just bought new off the lot. Will be buying another car next year, I'll try that.

Explorer ST Posts