Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whipple intercooler

Reactions
Not to mention that the delivery date can be modified especially if it hasn’t actually been picked up yet. I’m sure Ron will get back to you…just ask him to do that.
I did when I emailed him this morning, and in the message I left this afternoon. Hopefully I'll hear back from him tomorrow.

Reactions
so you note something interesting. in your fedex tracking notification, does it say "label created" or "item ready for pickup"? if all you got was the "label created" notification, all that means is that Whipple put your info into the fedex website and created a tracking/shipping order. your intercooler most likely hasn't even left their factory yet. i wouldn't get stressed or nervous until you actually see "picked up" along with an expected delivery date and if that delivery date is while you are gone. thats most definitely not Ron's fault that Whipple prematurely created your label before they had a box ready to stick it on...

*edit* it is strange though that they wont speak to you about your order. even for drop ship orders they would have a customer record....
It says the label was created. Whipple must know that entering info (if that's what creates a label) triggers a notification they really shouldn't be doing that until the package is ready to go, or at least a day or two from being ready. If I had a business that shipped most items I would make sure my customers aren't getting notifications when a package hasn't actually shipped. That to me just seems like a bad business practice.

I'm not holding Ron at fault for Whipple's shortcomings, however a lack of follow up after saying he would is on him.

Reactions
It says the label was created. Whipple must know that entering info (if that's what creates a label) triggers a notification they really shouldn't be doing that until the package is ready to go, or at least a day or two from being ready. If I had a business that shipped most items I would make sure my customers aren't getting notifications when a package hasn't actually shipped. That to me just seems like a bad business practice.

I'm not holding Ron at fault for Whipple's shortcomings, however a lack of follow up after saying he would is on him.
Almost all companies creat the shipping label right away because it is usually an automated process. I order many items online weekly and run in to this quite often. Just sharing because you are calling people out for something that is probably not their intentions. I doubt if the team at Whipple woke up and said, “Watch this, we are going to piss this person off and not ship their intercooler out”. The same goes for Ron, I don’t know him personally but I highly doubt he said, “screw this customer, I’m not calling back”. Take a deep breathe and go do a few 0-60 pulls! Life is good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I was in a similar boat a few weeks back, waiting for the Thermal exhaust to ship. I will say I was a pest, because I was waiting a few months for a $1600 part. Ron didn't always answer the phone, but when he did he was understanding, great to talk to, and very informative on the situation (every company is going through materials issues right now, there is missing labor as many would rather sit on their butts with the COVID stimmy $$$ instead of actually working, and other platforms are usually a priority over the relative low part sales for Explorers). So understand everyone is going through this, Ron isn't ignoring you but has a busy business to run and has to get to all clients and calls, and Whipple is trying to keep up but is probably going to prioritize high-volume Mustang parts over Explorer parts

Reactions
UPDATE: And not a good one

Until last Friday I was happy with @ron@whooshmotorsports but that's quickly fading. The IC still has yet to ship almost 2 weeks later, I called Whipple and they won't even speak to me since it was an order placed by Whoosh. After finding this out last Friday Morning I called Ron and he was going to get back to me that day letting me know what was going on, I also explained to Ron that if I wasn't going out of town this week (no one will be able to accept the package if it ships) and would be gone for over a week, it wouldn't be as much of a big deal. Even he agreed that at that point it was unacceptable. Friday came and went and heard nothing. This morning I emailed Ron asking if there was any updates, I could hear crickets as nothing came back, I called about 4 hours later and got VM and left a message with hope I would hear something back, yet it's almost 7pm PST (both where Whipple and Ron reside) and no word. I wouldn't be as concerned if this was a $20 or $50 part, but we are talking over $1100 total. This is becoming a huge headache which I really don't need before a long trip, not to mention having to worry about where an expensive part is when I'm not home.
I understand the frustration.
whipple just got back to me this morning with the bracket update as I explained to you on the phone last week. We do not call to update when there is no update to update. The update is that orders pending with missing brackets will ship mid week this week.
There is still time to cancel the order if you wish, I really dislike drop shipping some parts due to these kinds of issues as you and we are at the mercy of them coming through in a timely manner. 95+% of the time things happen as they should.
In this case a label was made for a product then the packer finds out that bracket sets have run out so whipple scrambles to have some more brackets made up and coated. I've never had this happen before this particular order.

Reactions
I understand the frustration.
whipple just got back to me this morning with the bracket update as I explained to you on the phone last week. We do not call to update when there is no update to update. The update is that orders pending with missing brackets will ship mid week this week.
There is still time to cancel the order if you wish, I really dislike drop shipping some parts due to these kinds of issues as you and we are at the mercy of them coming through in a timely manner. 95+% of the time things happen as they should.
In this case a label was made for a product then the packer finds out that bracket sets have run out so whipple scrambles to have some more brackets made up and coated. I've never had this happen before this particular order.
I hadn't had a chance to update this until now, I chatted with @ron@whooshmotorsports this morning and he told me what he outlined above. I also talked to Whipple and although they weren't willing to look up the order I was able to get some info in general about the IC for the Explorer and they expect them to ship late this week.

I would like to thank Ron for understanding, and for being willing to help out with changing the shipping address so I should get it at my Family's house that I will be staying at. Fingers crossed that it ships and the address change gets in before then.

Reactions
This has probably already been covered, but this is certainly not a issue with Whoosh. I ordered a intercooler for our ST through a different vendor and the exact same thing happened.

Hope we get them soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Happy AF I ordered mine in feb. Got it in 3 days. Ordered from Steeda if that helps. Prob not though as it was drop shipped from Whipple. Don’t mean to rub it in. It’s worth the wait tho.

Reactions
I’ve been told mine ships tomorrow.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Levels recently released one as well, but not sure how well it performs

https://levelsperformance.com/colle...9-explorer-st-intercooler-upgrade-coming-soon

(yeah it's odd that they labeled it as 2019 yet says 2020 on the product page, someone messed up on the site)
Ok that is what I thought. I am leaning toward level as based on flow design it seems better. Used to German cars and intercoolers and the end caps are not a hard 90 but instead a curve like I am used to seeing. Order still 6 months out per dealer so be a while LOL.

Reactions
Did my install today after getting it last Friday and wishing it was installed the 720 mile trip home yesterday, lol. I did find that Ford must have changed some things for the 21 year. The biggest is how the bottom of the grill shutters are mounted. They are no longer bolts and riveted in!
Rivets shown below that I had to drill out.
20210628_163627.jpg
So to not need to use rivets again I used rivet nuts (not sure that's the right name, lol). Basically it's like a rivet but you use and insert that allows a screw or bolt to be used, they are awesome!
20210628_163717.jpg
I used some screws with washers to hold everything
20210628_163748.jpg

The install took longer than I thought it would, but I also took my time.

I used Torque Pro to get some data logs of the charge air temps on my drive yesterday, and test drive after the install.

Here I was on the freeway and making a pass, from about 60MPH to 95 here and temps went from 120 (also the ambient temp) to 170 in no time.
AirCharge_Before_WhippleIC001.jpg

Today on the test drive it was like 104 outside and max I saw the charge temps rise were about 5 degrees and I did a few back to back pulls. And these were from low speeds to 80 to really see how it would do.
AirCharge_WhippleIC002.jpg

Overall I'm glad that I did this and the power just feels way more consistent and knowing I'm helping reliability is also huge! Worth it for sure. Sorry for a longer post haha.

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #75
I didn't even use anything after taking out rivets. Seemed to be held in quite well by everything else.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Did my install today after getting it last Friday and wishing it was installed the 720 mile trip home yesterday, lol. I did find that Ford must have changed some things for the 21 year. The biggest is how the bottom of the grill shutters are mounted. They are no longer bolts and riveted in!
Rivets shown below that I had to drill out.
View attachment 6538
So to not need to use rivets again I used rivet nuts (not sure that's the right name, lol). Basically it's like a rivet but you use and insert that allows a screw or bolt to be used, they are awesome!
View attachment 6539
I used some screws with washers to hold everything
View attachment 6540

The install took longer than I thought it would, but I also took my time.

I used Torque Pro to get some data logs of the charge air temps on my drive yesterday, and test drive after the install.

Here I was on the freeway and making a pass, from about 60MPH to 95 here and temps went from 120 (also the ambient temp) to 170 in no time.
View attachment 6541

Today on the test drive it was like 104 outside and max I saw the charge temps rise were about 5 degrees and I did a few back to back pulls. And these were from low speeds to 80 to really see how it would do.
View attachment 6542

Overall I'm glad that I did this and the power just feels way more consistent and knowing I'm helping reliability is also huge! Worth it for sure. Sorry for a longer post haha.
Glad you got yours in! Mine is still “in transit”.

Reactions
Glad you got yours in! Mine is still “in transit”.

Being a couple hours away at the time helped, still took FedEx 2 days lol. Hopefully you'll get yours soon!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Well ford decided to use rivets on the bottom six holes for the shroud on the 2021. Had to cut them out and going to have to find some bolts for it now. Shit

How did that turn out? I don't have rivets or a rivet gun that big so it caused a big headache for me, it would have been much easier to just drill out those rivets if I had replacements. Plus I had to notch the passenger side bracket of the IC, I tried three times to install it before realizing that it was hitting on the A/C condensor. Once I notched it with a sawzall it went smooth, I will buy a larger rivet gun and rivets just in case I need to get in there agin.

Last edited:
OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #79
How did that turn out? I don't have rivets or a rivet gun that big so it caused a big headache for me, it would have been much easier to just drill out those rivets if I had replacements. Plus I had to notch the passenger side bracket of the IC, I tried three times to install it before realizing that it was hitting on the A/C comressor. Once I notched it with a sawzall it went smooth, I will buy a larger rivet gun and rivets just in case I need to get in there agin.
It turned out fine, I haven't had any issues with it. I didn't have to cut any of the brackets on the intercooler.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
It turned out fine, I haven't had any issues with it. I didn't have to cut any of the brackets on the intercooler.

Did you find bolts to replace the rivets or did you just do without them?