Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whipple intercooler

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I think I remember you saying that a while ago. I didn't know that was a thing. I've never ordered a new vehicle. Just bought new off the lot. Will be buying another car next year, I'll try that.

I have mentioned this before and I'm twice lucky. I know the person that sells me the vehicle, I can sell or trade-in my car/truck and he'll loan me a vehicle until mine shows up. The last time it was a full 3 months.

There is no guarantee that a vehicle you order will be any more perfect than one off of the lot. I'd buy one off the lot if they ever had one that was exactly what I wanted. I'm too set in my ways to get something that is simply close enough. I don't want one that they have to go to the next state to get. I want a vehicle that is as unfutzed as I can get it. I polish and seal them as soon as I get them.

I will say that I do notice a marked difference in paint finish and spider webbing when ordering a vehicle as opposed to one that the lot workers have been over several times with who knows what hiding in their washcloths. It usually makes the initial polish very easy.

Reactions
I have mentioned this before and I'm twice lucky. I know the person that sells me the vehicle, I can sell or trade-in my car/truck and he'll loan me a vehicle until mine shows up. The last time it was a full 3 months.

There is no guarantee that a vehicle you order will be any more perfect than one off of the lot. I'd buy one off the lot if they ever had one that was exactly what I wanted. I'm too set in my ways to get something that is simply close enough. I don't want one that they have to go to the next state to get. I want a vehicle that is as unfutzed as I can get it. I polish and seal them as soon as I get them.

I will say that I do notice a marked difference in paint finish and spider webbing when ordering a vehicle as opposed to one that the lot workers have been over several times with who knows what hiding in their washcloths. It usually makes the initial polish very easy.
Makes sense. My biggest beef is the mileage on the car. Your way will keep it at a minimum. I worry about who and how it was driven before I bought it. Nice to have a dealership relationship as well.. thanks for the tip.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Resurrected this thread to ask if 2020 has bolts or rivets? Getting research done prior to Ultimate Performance IC install.

Reactions
Resurrected this thread to ask if 2020 has bolts or rivets? Getting research done prior to Ultimate Performance IC install.
Bolts on my March 2020 build

Reactions
Anyone know where I can find written directions for the install on a 2021?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Anyone know where I can find written directions for the install on a 2021?

The Whipple comes with instructions and the youtube videos are pretty good too, but on the '21 be prepared to drill out the rivets at the bottom bracket/support and replace them with new rivets and it won't be too bad.

Reactions
The Whipple comes with instructions and the youtube videos are pretty good too, but on the '21 be prepared to drill out the rivets at the bottom bracket/support and replace them with new rivets and it won't be too bad.
Thanks! Any particular size on the replacement rivets or does Whipple supply them?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Here's a good video I watched before doing mine. I drilled out the rivets, super easy. I did not replace the rivets with anything as is seemed tight.

JRizzle

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I just installed mine last night and did not have to drill out any rivets. I was a little frustrated at this find in the middle of the project but a little finesse and some help we were able to mount the posts from the bottom and get it mounted back up. Needless to say we had a good laugh at the 2.5 hr install time.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I just installed mine last night and did not have to drill out any rivets. I was a little frustrated at this find in the middle of the project but a little finesse and some help we were able to mount the posts from the bottom and get it mounted back up. Needless to say we had a good laugh at the 2.5 hr install time.
I ddin't drill out the rivets either, but I think it would have made it easier. I took the radiator/condensor support breaket loose which was more difficult to line up and replace, especially by myself. So I used a floor jack and that worked, but definately took me longer than expected. And it was 100 deg outside here in Sacramento when I did it! Good thing my wife was bringing me water or I probably would have passed out lol!!
How does it run now?

JRizzle

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I ddin't drill out the rivets either, but I think it would have made it easier. I took the radiator/condensor support breaket loose which was more difficult to line up and replace, especially by myself. So I used a floor jack and that worked, but definately took me longer than expected. And it was 100 deg outside here in Sacramento when I did it! Good thing my wife was bringing me water or I probably would have passed out lol!!
How does it run now?
I agree in that it would've made it easier. Maybe Ford not replacing easy to remove bolts and replacing them with dumbass rivets would be awesome too. I'm not at all worried about Fords pocketbooks. As far as improvements there's no power gain obviously but what is noticeable is there isn't any power draw running through the gears at WOT. I do wish I had done more research on the 21 model install as it did catch me by surprise. No regrets on the purchase and I do plan on adding more mods in the near future to compliment this upgrade even more.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
5star said they should be shipping out at the end of the month. We will see. I'm not looking forward to the install

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
You running a 5star tune? If so any good?

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #133
You running a 5star tune? If so any good?
Started out with 5star but ended up with zfg 93 octane tune. 5 star was a waste of money.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Started out with 5star but ended up with zfg 93 octane tune. 5 star was a waste of money.

Good to know thank you

Reactions
I did drill my rivets, but I did not replace them. There are so many other bolts holding that piece on, once the bumper bar is bolted in place nothing on there can move. At least that's my deductive reasoning.

Cajun Heat

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have the Whipple intercooler and will be doing the install soon, but mine is a 22 model. Assuming it will be the same as the 21.

Kapster55

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Have a 2021 and watched the you tube vids a couple of times. Took 2-1/2 hours to get this done. It really helps to have a lift to get car off the ground and a 2nd person but its not a difficult task at all. Makes a noticeable difference also.