Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whipple intercooler

Reactions
I ordered the Whipple IC about a week and a half ago and got a shipping email yesterday, hopefully should be here Saturday. If it arrives I plan to do the install Sunday which will be good before a 700+ mile (one way) trip I'll be doing in 2 weeks.

Reactions
Question for those that have received the IC, I'm assuming it ships directly from Whipple, I got the label created email Wed and it's still showing that FedEx is waiting for the package which is a little odd. I figured it would get updated yesterday. Did it take several days just to get picked up?

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #45
I got mine in about three days from whipple and I live in georgia.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
It depends on a place's inventory. Some drop ship and some carry in-stock inventory. Ron had posted here a long time ago about not carrying these in stock and he put the ones he had in inventory on sale, so if you only ordered from whoosh less than two weeks ago, at that point Whipple was telling people like 5 weeks backorder so I say give it some more time to get fulfilled. You may have gotten really lucky and they are waiting for a bigger shipment in order to send out a bunch of stuff together. I have ordered from Lethal before and had something sit waiting to be picked up for over a week, so a couple days isn't unheard of IMO

Reactions
Since it's been about a week since I got the notification that the label was created I reached out to Ron to get his thoughts. He said it wasn't normal and got in contact with Whipple and it seems that several did go out but they had some brackets that weren't ready for a few and they are waiting on those. So hopefully it should actually ship any day now. Thanks to Ron at Whoosh for a quick response as well.

Reactions
It's not just materials that are a problem, transportation is a big issue as well, especially if it's coming from overseas. Trying to get a container booked on a ship is a nightmare. Then you have several US ports under construction so their capacity is down and ships are lined up trying to get docked. Add in the shortage of truck drivers and you add a couple more weeks at least. I'm glad I don't work in logistics, lol.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Since it's been about a week since I got the notification that the label was created I reached out to Ron to get his thoughts. He said it wasn't normal and got in contact with Whipple and it seems that several did go out but they had some brackets that weren't ready for a few and they are waiting on those. So hopefully it should actually ship any day now. Thanks to Ron at Whoosh for a quick response as well.
Rad. @ron@whooshmotorsports really is a rockstar and I'm thankful to have a company like that in our community.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Is there only 2 options for intercoolers for the ST?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Is there only 2 options for intercoolers for the ST?
There is only one to my knowledge. A couple guys have done one-off custom jobs and Ron with Whoosh is in the process of developing his but the Whipple is the only commercially available unit that I'm aware of.

Reactions
UPDATE: And not a good one

Until last Friday I was happy with @ron@whooshmotorsports but that's quickly fading. The IC still has yet to ship almost 2 weeks later, I called Whipple and they won't even speak to me since it was an order placed by Whoosh. After finding this out last Friday Morning I called Ron and he was going to get back to me that day letting me know what was going on, I also explained to Ron that if I wasn't going out of town this week (no one will be able to accept the package if it ships) and would be gone for over a week, it wouldn't be as much of a big deal. Even he agreed that at that point it was unacceptable. Friday came and went and heard nothing. This morning I emailed Ron asking if there was any updates, I could hear crickets as nothing came back, I called about 4 hours later and got VM and left a message with hope I would hear something back, yet it's almost 7pm PST (both where Whipple and Ron reside) and no word. I wouldn't be as concerned if this was a $20 or $50 part, but we are talking over $1100 total. This is becoming a huge headache which I really don't need before a long trip, not to mention having to worry about where an expensive part is when I'm not home.

Reactions
There is only one to my knowledge. A couple guys have done one-off custom jobs and Ron with Whoosh is in the process of developing his but the Whipple is the only commercially available unit that I'm aware of.
Levels recently released one as well, but not sure how well it performs

https://levelsperformance.com/colle...9-explorer-st-intercooler-upgrade-coming-soon

(yeah it's odd that they labeled it as 2019 yet says 2020 on the product page, someone messed up on the site)

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #54
I don't know what to tell ya man. I ordered mine in April through five star and got it at the end of May. They must be out of stock right now at whipple. Whipple told me when they would be sending out the next batch. How long ago did you order it?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If Whipple doesn’t have them they can’t ship them. Everything is backordered right now and if you think the wait for a Whipple is bad…go ahead and order that Levels.
As far as a call back immediately…man I have customers with multi-million dollar contracts that I can’t get back to for days sometimes. It’s like that from time to time.

Reactions
I don't know what to tell ya man. I ordered mine in April through five star and got it at the end of May. They must be out of stock right now at whipple. Whipple told me when they would be sending out the next batch. How long ago did you order it?

May 21st was when I ordered, and early last week Whipple stated that they were just waiting on some brackets to be powder coated

Last edited:
OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #57
Yer not too far out. I got mine earlier than they told me. You'll have it before too long.

Reactions
If Whipple doesn’t have them they can’t ship them. Everything is backordered right now and if you think the wait for a Whipple is bad…go ahead and order that Levels.
As far as a call back immediately…man I have customers with multi-million dollar contracts that I can’t get back to for days sometimes. It’s like that from time to time.
I understand what you are getting at, and if it wasn't for having something say that it was shipped 2 weeks ago (label created) and then early last week an update saying just a couple more days I wouldn't be as concerned. But now I'm leaving to head out of town in a couple days and I live alone, so there is no way it could be accepted when/if it ships. And almost adding insult to injury, when I head home at the end of the month I'll pretty much drive by where Whipple is in CA and wave to it.

I deal with customers on large deals as well (pre-sales for software), and always try to set expectations when I will be getting back to someone. Things happen and I get that. I hope Ron will get back to me soon. I'm not trying to say I'm not a pain in the @$$ sometimes, I totally am. At the same time I appreciate when someone keeps to what they have said.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I understand what you are getting at, and if it wasn't for having something say that it was shipped 2 weeks ago (label created) and then early last week an update saying just a couple more days I wouldn't be as concerned. But now I'm leaving to head out of town in a couple days and I live alone, so there is no way it could be accepted when/if it ships. And almost adding insult to injury, when I head home at the end of the month I'll pretty much drive by where Whipple is in CA and wave to it.

I deal with customers on large deals as well (pre-sales for software), and always try to set expectations when I will be getting back to someone. Things happen and I get that. I hope Ron will get back to me soon. I'm not trying to say I'm not a pain in the @$$ sometimes, I totally am. At the same time I appreciate when someone keeps to what they have said.
so you note something interesting. in your fedex tracking notification, does it say "label created" or "item ready for pickup"? if all you got was the "label created" notification, all that means is that Whipple put your info into the fedex website and created a tracking/shipping order. your intercooler most likely hasn't even left their factory yet. i wouldn't get stressed or nervous until you actually see "picked up" along with an expected delivery date and if that delivery date is while you are gone. thats most definitely not Ron's fault that Whipple prematurely created your label before they had a box ready to stick it on...

*edit* it is strange though that they wont speak to you about your order. even for drop ship orders they would have a customer record....

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Not to mention that the delivery date can be modified especially if it hasn’t actually been picked up yet. I’m sure Ron will get back to you…just ask him to do that.