Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whipple intercooler

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
After I put everything back in I didn't even need the bolts down there. Fits tight as is.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
Intercooler in and it wasn't too bad to install other than a couple small obstacles. So I'm running a 5star 93 octane tune with a borla s type. My 0-60 times before the intercooler were 4.8 seconds and with the intercooler nothing changed. I sure hope 5star can tweak this tune. My 2019 raptor with a cobb tune tune intercooler ran 4.5 seconds. How the hell can a raptor be faster than this?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Get rid of 5Star....that’s 1/2 your problem. A good 93 tune should be running low 4’s unless your in Denver or somewhere...in which case still get rid of 5Star. lol
And honestly the benefits from the IC are just starting to show up around 60mph. That’s about when it’ll start pulling timing with the stock IC. Compare 1/4 mile runs and you should see the benefit.

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #24
Kinda figured that. When I put the intercooler on my raptor cobb sent me a stage 2 tune which gave the truck power throughout every gear. I could feel a huge difference between the two. Is palm beach dyno a good choice? I really don't feel like having a laptop in the car. I guess I just don't know enough about it.
Thanks for yer help

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
PBD would be the best of the currently available options. Hopefully Adam at ZFG will be back at it soon in which case going with his tuning should be a no brainer. I was running 3.90’s 0-60 on his 93 tune.

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #26
3.9 seconds, yeah I got screwed by 5star. Is it that involved to use zfg tunes with a laptop? He's not tuning at the moment?

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
so i noticed a few weeks after i got the car that it was missing a door lock on the rear door. today i noticed that i didnt get the washer fluid hose for the front camera wtf. if i tell them they will see i have added the intercooler. jeez

Reactions
so i noticed a few weeks after i got the car that it was missing a door lock on the rear door. today i noticed that i didnt get the washer fluid hose for the front camera wtf. if i tell them they will see i have added the intercooler. jeez
What year do you have? Is the actual nozzle there? For the 21 model they removed the front camera washer (although there is the spot for it still).

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #29
Oh ok I have a 21. It made the intercooler install easier. Thanks man

Reactions
Oh ok I have a 21. It made the intercooler install easier. Thanks man

You're welcome, I plan on ordering the intercooler this weekend. When I had my Focus ST the intercooler was one of the best upgrades because the stock one got heat soak so bad! Didn't add much power, but the power was consistent and didn't feel like it was falling on it's face after a short acceleration.

OP
edeyoung2
Reactions
Thread Starter #33
Yeah we really don't need any of this shit, but it's fun and gives us something to waste our money on.

Reactions
I would say that "need" depends on the person. Living in AZ where it gets 120 in the summer, the factory intercooler will probably allow charge air temps close to 200 then on a short acceleration. This can cause timing to be pulled, pre-detonation and other bad things to happen. So not only is it for performance reasons that I want to do it, it's also for reliability in the long run.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I would say that "need" depends on the person. Living in AZ where it gets 120 in the summer, the factory intercooler will probably allow charge air temps close to 200 then on a short acceleration. This can cause timing to be pulled, pre-detonation and other bad things to happen. So not only is it for performance reasons that I want to do it, it's also for reliability in the long run.
Having spent 10 years in Scottsdale and Tucson, I would also be looking at a bigger intercooler, although a temperature activated intercooler spray bar would also work for a lot less $. Of course, you have to refill the dang thing.

Reactions
Don't even know when I ordered at this point, but FedEx says its too be delivered tomorrow.

Reactions
Yep. For me it’s about efficiency and reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I got my Whipple intercooler last week and it was installed today at a local Ford performance shop (Paramount Speed). Also going to one step colder plugs gapped at 28.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Is the Whipple your only performance mod to this point? If by chance it is I think I'd leave the heat range on the plugs OE until you're tuned.

Reactions
Is the Whipple your only performance mod to this point? If by chance it is I think I'd leave the heat range on the plugs OE until you're tuned.
Nah, I have an AFE air filter, exhaust and I'm running Palm Beach Dyno E50 and 93R maps. Once I get a fuel pump I'll run E85 on the weekends...

I'll get updated maps this week.