Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What would you have purchased if there were no Explorer ST?

Buckles

Reactions
4Runner.
Came from a Tacoma so it would make sense.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm coming from a '12 Jaguar XF and have owned many high performance vehicles. With a new grandchild, I was looking for a bit more room for family trips while still not settling into a "mini-van". The only SUV I've ever had was a '93 Typhoon which, while somewhat primitive, has pretty good handling and was very quick. I researched most of the "higher performance" SUVs, under $50k so I didn't even know about the Explorer ST. Tossed out the F-Pace, the Macan, X5-M due to price. Drove the new Escape (2.0 turbo), the Mazda (2.5 turbo), the Edge ST, the Audi and the Acura RDX. Of all of them, I liked the new RDX best and was nearly ready to buy one but my experience with the sales rep was so disappointing that I just didn't want to deal with him. I went back to Ford to sample the Corsair with the 2.3 turbo, but honestly still felt the RDX was nicer looking (and has a great interior). Then the Ford rep pointed out the Explorer ST. After spending a weekend looking at the specs and getting an extended test drive I decided based on RWD biased platform, handling, etc it was probably worth it to plunk down an extra $8k to get it. I have owned over 50 vehicles in my life and this is my first Ford. Since no one else in the thread mentioned the RDX, I'm surprised- the interior is IMHO better than all the rest, but I'm really liking the ST.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Was looking at a Dodge Durango SRT. But too expensive & less features.

Last edited:
Reactions
Explorer Platinum, then new wheels n tires, Borla or Manaflow exhaust and a tuner
Ditto. I had to move up from my Escapes, wanted Ford, didn't like Edge, needed 5,600 lb tow. Explorer, if no Explorer...I'd have to do the research, but after having had so much fun [driving] - it would have to perform!

Reactions
i was waiting on the durango hellcat.. previously leased a range rover sport.. waited almost two years before getting into a new vehicle.. couldn’t wait any longer for the hellcat.. and i couldn’t let my kids wait for a more comfortable ride.. so i went with the st.. very happy with it.. let’s see what the durango will be like if it ever debuts.

KegsBdry

Reactions
i was waiting on the durango hellcat.. previously leased a range rover sport.. waited almost two years before getting into a new vehicle.. couldn’t wait any longer for the hellcat.. and i couldn’t let my kids wait for a more comfortable ride.. so i went with the st.. very happy with it.. let’s see what the durango will be like if it ever debuts.
Almost double the price too! That Durango Hellcat does look sick though.

Reactions
Probably a Palisade. Not exactly sporty but a nice ride. Once I learned Hyundai dealers would laugh at selling below sticker, and an ST was just a couple grand more, it was a no-brainer.

Reactions
Probably a Palisade. Not exactly sporty but a nice ride. Once I learned Hyundai dealers would laugh at selling below sticker, and an ST was just a couple grand more, it was a no-brainer.
I test drove one and was offered about 2500 below msrp on a 45k unit. It was OK, but I liked the new caddy way better. Front wheel drive a turn off on both.

Last edited:

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I test drove one and was offered about 2500 below msrp on a 45k unit. It was OK, but I liked the new caddy way better. Front wheel drive a turn off on both.
The local Cadillac dealer gave me an XT6 to use for a day. It's a nice vehicle, but once I drove the ST it was an easy decision. The RWD platform just feels better, and the ST had so much more power.

Reactions
we were looking at the 2018 Explorer Sport.
when we went in June, i told the salesman I really wanted to see what the hype about the ST was, and he said they weren't getting them until September or October. dude called me back the next morning and said they just got one on the lot. went for a test drive and was sold on the ST.

DKOV

Reactions
I was almost sold on the Audi Q8 but there were a few small things like larger console space and not coming standard with remote start that just bugged me. Not to mention the price point was much more than the ST. My dad's buddy works at a ford dealership and he told me to take a look at the ST. I was sold immediately

LokiWolf

Reactions
Stinger GT2. But I would have missed the space!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
I probably wouldn’t have bought a new ride. I came from a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X, with coilovers and remote reservoir shocks. My wife and I need the cargo space for two manual wheelchairs. No other SUV on the market is short enough to jump into from a wheelchair, while simultaneously being large enough to store two of them inside without taking them apart. The final stipulation of a new ride was that it had to be fun to drive, because I could take bumps at speed in the truck. With all things considered, this ST was the only choice. Now I get about the same mpg, about 120 more hp, but our chairs are inside the ac instead of in the open bed.

Last edited:
Reactions
I was looking at CPO Durango Srt's. Also drove a Pilot Black edition.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sean R.

Reactions
I would ha e kept my cayenne s, instead of letting my wife take it (she loves it) and trading her nautilus 2.7 for the ST....

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Was also cross-shopping a CPO RR Sport, GC SRT, and a CPO Cayenne GTS. COVID happened, and my Ford salesman called me and practically begged me to come take the ST. Thanks to a little help from ZFG, I'm VERY happy with the decision so far. 500hp sleeper SUVs are just sick in so many ways. I knew that of the cars listed above (GC SRT not included), the ST would be the easiest to work on and customize myself. Then out of any of the cars listed would be the cheapest to own long term -- I keep my rigs for at least 5-7 years. Haven't looked back.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I had also tried out a 2021 VW Atlas SE R-Line. I would have gotten it if the ST was not available. Actually I had spoken to the Ford salesperson several times about a 2020 ST, which I knew it was time for the 2021's to arrive, but they were way too high on the price, plus I was trading in a 2017 XLT with 63,000 miles. The week I was settled on getting the VW Atlas, the Ford dealer called me and said to come get the ST, we are at your price. So I did, of course.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Ok, I've been shopping for a few months , and just got serious lately , been Driving a loaded MKC 2 years. The technology has spoiled me, gotta have it now.

So I almost pulled the trigger on XT 5 Caddy, just couldn't get completely decided. I liked the BMW x5 , but seats are like concrete.

The only dealers in my area are Caddy, Chevy , Ford and BMW.

So I started looking at the ST which was only by Internet, as there have not been any in my area.
Then 2 weeks ago , ONE came in exactly the color and packs I wanted.

Drove it today... everything else don't even come close.

Still trying to make it happen.

Jim

Reactions
About 1 year ago, I was down to the Explorer ST and a 2018 Dodge Durango SRT. It was really close between those 2, but the ST won on more of the little things even though the SRT had a slight edge on the power train.

I miss the rumble of that bad ass 6.4L, but I enjoy the 21 MPG and the 360 camera, even if Sync 3 executes them poorly.

I'm at peace with the decision. Now it's saving money for some mods