Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Downpipes

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ok, I was going for the CVF DPs, catted, 304SS and mandrel bent. The SPD DPs show pretty much the same specs but incorporate the flex pipes and extensions to the crossover section.
The DPs is all I need and the CVFs are priced at $800 cheaper. Although the SPDs claim to subdue the vibration that it says happens on cold starts, acceleration and deacceleration between 1000-1400 rpms,
I'm not experiencing that problem so unless someone can justify me spending the extra $800 for the SPDs, CVFs are what it is. Your thoughts?
Thanks!

Reactions
I have the CVF DP’s and am 100% satisfied with the. No odd vibrations or anything like that either.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I have the CVF DP’s and am 100% satisfied with the. No odd vibrations or anything like that either.
Thanks for the reply THNX SVT!
No CEL or did you have to install defoulers?

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Ok, I was going for the CVF DPs, catted, 304SS and mandrel bent. The SPD DPs show pretty much the same specs but incorporate the flex pipes and extensions to the crossover section.
The DPs is all I need and the CVFs are priced at $800 cheaper. Although the SPDs claim to subdue the vibration that it says happens on cold starts, acceleration and deacceleration between 1000-1400 rpms,
I'm not experiencing that problem so unless someone can justify me spending the extra $800 for the SPDs, CVFs are what it is. Your thoughts?
Thanks!
I bet SPD claims that because their setup replaces the stock exhaust'z flex pipe, but you won't need those with an aftermarket exhaust (if you already have one that connects to factory DPs such as Thermal or AWE).

I've had CVF DPs on my car for a few months now with my 3" Thermal and love it. The defoulers were installed and I had no CEL for the month of driving after they were installed prior to getting my tune.

Another option to look into if you're looking to save even more money are the Whoosh DPs. They seem to be a good alternative to the CVF DPs.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thanks!
The stock flex pipes will rattle at some point, however you can just get Lethals mid pipes when it does. I’d save the money and when the problem arises deal with then and still save money.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I agree I would not worry about the flex pipes for now.I installed a Thermal 2.5 before the downpipes. Eventually got around to Installing the SPD downpipes and I had them ceramic coated for heat. Installing them with the Thermal produced a tad more growl and I like the sound better than just the Thermal. No trouble with the original o2 sensors either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the hits!
I have the stock exhaust system and plan on keeping it. I'm not looking to get louder as I enjoy the quiet ride, especially when listening to music.
I understand it getting a little nasty with upper acceleration but in cruise, I like the stock volume. The stock system will support up to 700HP so the DPs would be all I need for the upgrades I'm looking at.

So, did all of you just add the supplied defoulers when you installed the DPs?

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
I agree I would not worry about the flex pipes for now.I installed a Thermal 2.5 before the downpipes. Eventually got around to Installing the SPD downpipes and I had them ceramic coated for heat. Installing them with the Thermal produced a tad more growl and I like the sound better than just the Thermal. No trouble with the original o2 sensors either.

I thought about ceramic coating. Was it worth it for you?

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
The stock flex pipes will rattle at some point, however you can just get Lethals mid pipes when it does. I’d save the money and when the problem arises deal with then and still save money.
Agreed!
Do the mid pipes have flex in them or does the system do ok without?

Edit: Nevermind. answered my own question. :)

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I thought about ceramic coating. Was it worth it for you?
In my mind, yes. Anything to help with heat management imo. Helps keep the heat away from motor.

And no defoulers needed on the SPD downpipes.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
In my mind, yes. Anything to help with heat management imo. Helps keep the heat away from motor.

And no defoulers needed on the SPD downpipes.

Looking at the Whoosh DPs, they claim having pre-installed heat shielding. Do you think similar results?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Looking at the Whoosh DPs, they claim having pre-installed heat shielding. Do you think similar results?
I believe a good ceramic coating is better than a heat shield. Covers 100% of the outside. Heat shield definitely better than nothing but I think ceramic is better at heat rejection.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sound reasoning. It appears though that the heat shielding gives full coverage. Take a look.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...tted-304-stainless-downpipes-2020-explorer-st
Pretty thorough covering there. Much better than the oem. I’m guessing a coating is marginally better but not by a lot. Coating was not cheap. If those are almost as good and a lot cheaper then it seems like a good option imo.

I know the ceramic tends to keep the heat in the exhaust stream. I’m guessing more heat escapes with the heat shield but the price difference might make up for that.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Same here! Have the CVF and they've been great with no issues.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
Pretty thorough covering there. Much better than the oem. I’m guessing a coating is marginally better but not by a lot. Coating was not cheap. If those are almost as good and a lot cheaper then it seems like a good option imo.

I know the ceramic tends to keep the heat in the exhaust stream. I’m guessing more heat escapes with the heat shield but the price difference might make up for that.

Again, agreed! I'll have to price coating and weigh the differences.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thanks for the hits!
I have the stock exhaust system and plan on keeping it. I'm not looking to get louder as I enjoy the quiet ride, especially when listening to music.
I understand it getting a little nasty with upper acceleration but in cruise, I like the stock volume. The stock system will support up to 700HP so the DPs would be all I need for the upgrades I'm looking at.

So, did all of you just add the supplied defoulers when you installed the DPs?
I'm not trying to spend your money, but just want to offer perspective. I regularly need to actually turn my music down to hear my exhaust and that's with the Thermal 3" and DPs. It's really not as loud as you'd think.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm not trying to spend your money, but just want to offer perspective. I regularly need to actually turn my music down to hear my exhaust and that's with the Thermal 3" and DPs. It's really not as loud as you'd think.
Exhaust is so subjective. 30 years ago the DPs and Thermal would have been perfect for me. Now it’s just a tad loud. I love the sound when I romp on it but it’s a tad loud for driving around town for me. I have a couple Vibrant resonators to weld in one of these days to see if that calms it down a bit. Minor complaint for me.

Again, very subjective topic.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Exhaust is so subjective. 30 years ago the DPs and Thermal would have been perfect for me. Now it’s just a tad loud. I love the sound when I romp on it but it’s a tad loud for driving around town for me. I have a couple Vibrant resonators to weld in one of these days to see if that calms it down a bit. Minor complaint for me.

Again, very subjective topic.

Completely agree. My old Mustang with catless headers, no muffler, and a choppy cam was music to my hears. But for my wife? Way too loud.

I think the Explorer with the 3" thermal and DPs sounds very good for what this engine is, though I wish it were a tad louder. But for my wife? Also still way too loud.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Completely agree. My old Mustang with catless headers, no muffler, and a choppy cam was music to my hears. But for my wife? Way too loud.

I think the Explorer with the 3" thermal and DPs sounds very good for what this engine is, though I wish it were a tad louder. But for my wife? Also still way too loud.
I wish it sounded more like a V8

Now THAT is music to my ears