Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

UNBROKEN’s Iconic Silver ST build

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I'm assuming you used OEM PIU shocks? I'll be doing shocks here pretty soon and want to use the PIU shocks. I want to do the adjustable toe links and the vertical link braces at the same time.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #1,082
This is the 2nd longest love affair I’ve ever had with a car…with no end in sight. IMG_2134.jpeg IMG_2145.jpeg IMG_2149.jpeg

ogbad67

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #1,084
Iconic is certainly the best way to describe the build brotha! Did you do a roof rack delete? Or just left it off from factory?
All 2020’s came with them so I had to delete them myself. I wish it had been an option back then.

Excalibur

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
PIU shock and strut update. First…I replaced 81K mile oem ST parts…obviously they were worn. I could collapse the shocks by hand where I had to sit on the new ones to compress them. Until someone has ST and PIU parts on a shock dyno it’s all just a guess but I will say I do like them. Firmer at lower speeds in my neighborhood and pretty damn legit on the highway. I was just driving minding my own business when I ran into Travis Ellisor so now I can also say they’re nice and composed up to about 125mph. lol
Would I do it again? Absolutely…the car feels fantastic again.

Also installed the Steeda parts…the bushing brace kit dropped right in…took 20 minutes tops after the wheels were off. The vertical link brace fits perfectly but the top nut on each side is a pain to get to. That’s not Steedas fault…they’re very nice parts.
Would you by chance have the part numbers to the PIU Shocks F/R, or a good link?

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #1,087
May I ask, what was the first love affair?
I’ve built many cars and trucks…most only last a year or so but my 2004 F250 that I had for 8-9 years was my longest love affair. 1000+ wheel HP Cummins swap and it was a blast to drive. IMG_0675.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Gorgeous ride. Thank you for sharing.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #1,089
I’m having rear diff issues so this time it’s a forced upgrade. After some research the Lincoln Aviator uses the same 8.8 Torsen rear diff as the Timberline with the same 3:58 gear we have…and they’re stupid cheap on the used market. I paid $358 shipped for one with 22K miles on it. I’ll have my buddy that does rear diffs for a living take a look inside and give it a clean bill of health before it’s slapped in.
IMG_2236.jpeg IMG_2235.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Interesting news. While you didn’t show it in the picture, I’m assuming it has the same rear cover as the ST does.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks. So any Idea on if this will also require additional modifications (I’m wondering specifically about the traction control system) to address the change in the differential or is it just a simple swap?

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #1,093
If it all checks out it’s a drop in swap like the timberline diff.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just found the other two threads where this is being discussed and where my earlier question was asked and answered. So thanks for putting up with duplicate questions. Hope that the differential is what you were expecting it to be and it is plug and play. Look forward to hearing about the progress/process in one or more of those threads.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #1,095
Correction to be made…the Aviator diff is open like the ST…not Torsen like the Timberline. The guys that said it was Torsen made a mistake.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Correction to be made…the Aviator diff is open like the ST…not Torsen like the Timberline. The guys that said it was Torsen made a mistake.
No shit. What part # is the correct one?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The man just can’t stop. Kudos to the most modded ST I’ve heard of. Enjoying watching for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #1,099
Parts are prepped and ready…gonna try to get them fit and bonded in tomorrow or Sat then it’s gonna be ugly for a while. Never used panel bond before so I’m gonna drive with it a while in primer to make sure nothing cracks.

Attachments

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Panel adhesive is good stuff imo. I’ve wrecked metal trying to separate panels glued together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk