Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tuning for dummies

KegsBdry

Reactions
Sounds logical.

Filled up 5 days ago.
87 was $2.15/gal
I paid $2.65 for 93

Today drove by , and 87 was $2.27, so I would assume 93 is $2.77/gal.

At 50 cents a gal more for 20 gal would be $10 more per tank.:rolleyes:

I believe that's only gonna go higher.

Jim
Not to sound like the devil's advocate here, but didn't you buy a high-performance vehicle to drive a high-performance vehicle? You're not going to get that on 87.

When my father bought a 2010 Chevy SS, he said he proudly signed the $2,500 gas-guzzling fee.

What's also funny is there are people buying $100 devices to turn off the auto start-stop (save gas) and start up in sport mode.

I love this forum!

KegsBdry

Reactions
Sounds logical.

Filled up 5 days ago.
87 was $2.15/gal
I paid $2.65 for 93

Today drove by , and 87 was $2.27, so I would assume 93 is $2.77/gal.

At 50 cents a gal more for 20 gal would be $10 more per tank.:rolleyes:

I believe that's only gonna go higher.

Jim
But the manual clearly shows it runs on 87.

I would like to see the avg miles per gallon on the same stretch of road between 87 and 93. :unsure:

Attachments

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Not to sound like the devil's advocate here, but didn't you buy a high-performance vehicle to drive a high-performance vehicle? You're not going to get that on 87.

When my father bought a 2010 Chevy SS, he said he proudly signed the $2,500 gas-guzzling fee.

What's also funny is there are people buying $100 devices to turn off the auto start-stop (save gas) and start up in sport mode.

I love this forum!
Oh yeah , I knew that I was getting a performance vehicle..and it really is not a gas guzzler ,
But,
I'm also frugal with my money .
When I been paying $2/gal for past 3-4 years and all of a sudden that possible, most likely will triple.
That kinda hurts , no matter what you drive.

That's not thrifty.

Not that I can't buy the 93 , just ain't happy paying $25 a tank more .

Jim

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Yes sir I know it will run on 87 .
But,
If all I got is a tune for 93 ,. I can't save $25 a fill up. I understand that it is forbidden to run 87 .

So, if gas ,93, hits $6/gal I would at least like to have the choice.

That's all I'm asking, can I get a switchable tuner?

Jim

Reactions
Yes sir I know it will run on 87 .
But,
If all I got is a tune for 93 ,. I can't save $25 a fill up. I understand that it is forbidden to run 87 .

So, if gas ,93, hits $6/gal I would at least like to have the choice.

That's all I'm asking, can I get a switchable tuner?

Jim
Any tuner should be able to provide multiple tunes for any grade fuel you want to run. Before getting the Explorer I decided to just run the 87 tune on my Edge to save some money on my 700+ mile (one way) trips to CA where 91 (only 91 is avail in AZ and CA sadly) was close to $4/gallon it probably made a $50+ difference for my trips. Also here in AZ there can be a $.60 or $.80 difference between reg and prem, so while I was waiting for Ford to buy it back I decided to save a few bucks. Now I have no intention of running 87 in this as performance takes a hit and MPG was no better and maybe a bit worse since I felt like I had to push the car more.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You are not going to get much gain with 87. If that's what you want to use, why bother with a tune? If you do have a tune and want to run 87 for a fillup or for a while as a temporary measure, don't even worry if they offer an 87 tune, just load up the stock calibration.

FWIW, I would definitely not go with ngauge. Plenty of happy ZFG people on this forum, and ZFG uses HP TUNERS RTD / MPVI2. I am mostly satisfied with Livernois but if I were to do it again, I'd go ZFG.

Edit: I shouldn't say there is no gains with 87 and a tune. A tune could still give you better/faster shifting, displaying gear all the time, disable auto start/stop, etc. that just make driving more satisfying.

Last edited:

Blackssr

Reactions
Can’t agree more about PBD! Service was excellent and responsive, and their tunes, while providing substantial power gains, also improved the drive-ability of the ST.

I chose to go with a Steely mount for more of a “floating“ look for my NGauge. Cables are tucked into the pillar.

As for Sadeen’s question, if you search these forums, you’re going to see opinions across the spectrum about tuning, warranty, and dealership reactions. It all comes down to your personal preference, and risk vs. reward.

But I’ll tell you this much, I grin EVERY SINGLE TIME I drive my tuned ST!

Cheers
Do you think dealer would know that I did a tune if I drove into service with that gauge mounted on the pillar? Hahaha. Good Bye warranty.

Blackssr

Reactions
Dummy here again..
Who is Lethal?

I know how PBD is and like what I'm hearing from @sadeen .

I want a tune I can't select 87, 91 , 93 , God only knows where the price of 93 is headed. May be forced to run 87 at $5/gal.

Jim
up nearly .60 per gallon in south Florida when I left for LA.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Another dumb question.....if you buy the tune without the nguage how do you install it?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Another dumb question.....if you buy the tune without the nguage how do you install it?
You can't. That option assumes you already have the device--no doubt that you are using on another vehicle.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I'm not wanting a selectable to for mileage purposes , just the $25 dollar extra cost every week to fill up when gas hits $5-$6 /gal.

Jim

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #72
A few reminders...

The NGuage is on its way out. The company that builds it is E-motion is no longer in business. Between not being able to source parts and COVID they closed at the end of 2020.

Buying an NGuage new now is just a bad idea.

But hey that is just me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi, do you use the HP Tuners MPVI2 or similar ? I understand the e-motion who made the nGauge did close recently, but are still supported (whatever that means) the another company was going to start making them (HPTuners??)?

Maybe that why I got it on sale, haha?

Respectfully.

Reactions
I would never run 87
I tried it once before tuning my 2011 F150 with the 3.5L ECOBOOST & the difference was horrible
I will not even use 87 in lawnmower or string trimmer
As far as I am concerned 87 octane is useless
BTW
Live about 60 miles west of Phoenix
Recently gas rose 30 cents a gallon due to our new presidents policies:mad:
87 octane "CRAP" fuel is $259.9
91 octane is 309.9 or $.50 more than 87
Way worth the difference to me

Reactions
So to chime in on this thread it looks like we're kind of out of options right now;

Both 5StarTuning and PBD both use the nGuage which, as mentioned above, is discontinued so those are out the window.

I've been speaking with ZFG all day and they are going on hold and not accepting any new tuning customers for the next 3-6 months minimum. Something about new policies...no idea.

I'm at the point where I just got the Whipple iC installed & drop-in filter and am foaming at the mouth for my ZFG tune. My balloon has officially been popped.

Last edited:
Reactions
Just ordered a tuner from 5Star. I ordered the Bully Dog tuner and not the nGauge. we will see how it goes.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I've been speaking with ZFG all day and they are going on hold and not accepting any new tuning customers for the next 3-6 months minimum. Something about new policies...no idea.
There are some new EPA policies out. People like ZFG are being smart. They are making sure all their ducks are in a row.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
There are some new EPA policies out. People like ZFG are being smart. They are making sure all their ducks are in a row.

I looked through the Federal Register and didn't see anything... is this related to the diesel emissions defeat devices crackdown that happened last year?

Reactions

Man that really sucks - my IC will be here any day and that was the last piece before my tune

Reactions
Man that really sucks - my IC will be here any day and that was the last piece before my tune
Same here. Just installed mine this past wknd. Im super disappointed.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I looked through the Federal Register and didn't see anything... is this related to the diesel emissions defeat devices crackdown that happened last year?
I will see if I can find the doc.

The issue is in general the EPA is following the same playbook they did when they went after those Diesel tuners that were doing the DPF deletes.

As a person who was involved with diesels at the time, this is NOT good. People lost their shops and were forced out of business because of it. They made bad decisions, and thought, “they will never come after me”.

The other issue, is we have ST vendors moving forward with Catless options and advertising them. That is like turning on the bright light and saying look at me! Any tuner tuning a vehicle without Cats that drives on the Street is illegal, and always has been.

Many tuners and companies are rethinking their tuning and process. Smaller shops have to be WAY more careful. One fine and they are done.

This is not going away...not anytime soon.

Explorer ST Posts