Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tuning for dummies

Reactions
Does anyone know if PBD is also pausing on new customers as well?
They responded to my inquiry as well and appear to still be tuning. Same with 5-star. PBD only responded to 1 message, however. 5 star has responded to about 15 emails lol.

Reactions
They responded to my inquiry as well and appear to still be tuning. Same with 5-star. PBD only responded to 1 message, however. 5 star has responded to about 15 emails lol.
Thanks. I love the results that others are getting with ZFG, but I’m worried from the sound of it I may have missed my window with them. I’m torn on whether to just go PBD now or wait this thing out

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Have you actually reached out to ZFG? I think I’d talk to Adam and get first hand info.

Reactions
Have you actually reached out to ZFG? I think I’d talk to Adam and get first hand info.
I did - I asked him if what I read on here was true about pausing on taking new customers and he said “For a couple months or less yes, just on tuning not parts and I'll still be supporting all my current customers.”

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #105
So, I loaded the PBD 93R tune this past Saturday. Due to the inclement weather and American football game I haven't had much road time to assess it. Initial thoughts are - car runs, shifts, drives even more smoothly/crisply than the 91-93 tune. The boost seems to kick in much earlier / more quickly. Definitely seems quicker by seat of pants.. Also, loading the tune only took about 6.5 minutes compared to the first tune, which took like 35 mins. (I would have hit the head and grabbed a beverage if I knew, haha)... If / when I ever buy a dragy I'll post some times.

Last edited:
Reactions
So, I loaded the PBD 93R tune this past Saturday. Due to the inclement weather and American football game I haven't had much road time to assess it. Initial thoughts are - car runs, shifts, drives even more smoothly/crisply than the 91-93 tune. The boost seems to kick in much earlier / more quickly. Definitely seems quicker by seat of pants.. Also, loading the tune only took about 6.5 minutes compared to the first tune, which took like 35 mins. (I would have hit the head and grabbed a beverage if I knew, haha)... If / when I ever buy a dragy I'll post some times.
do u had any mods to your st besides the tune?

also is pbd the best option right now in regards to tuning.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #108
Hi, I have no other mods, all stock currently.

I cannot say what the best option is for tuning, I have only tried PBD. I am very happy so far with the product.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #109
first every dragy. I got the device Friday so the weather hasn't been that great. I was more trying to figure the dragy app than try a good run. I had the device just siting in my lap, not so good for a test. I forgot to put it in Sport mode as well. Once I get some better weather I'll try a couple of 'real' runs at a longer 'test area' to get full stats. :)

Attachments

Reactions
Few questions from a noob to this platform/Ethanol tuning

1. Why does E50 perform better than E85 on the ST? Figured higher octane would equate to larger gains
2. I understand running an E50 Tune requires mixing E85 with 91/93, but if running an E85 Tune do you just fill the tank with 100% undiluted E85?
3. Hoping to get a tune with ZFG once he’s back up and running. My research on his site shows I need the MPVI2 with 4 credits to get up and running. Does that lock me in to a single tune (91 Octane for example)? Is there an additional cost for gaining access to E85/E50 tunes? In a perfect world I’d like access to all three (I think).

Thanks for any insight. Hoping Adam gets sorted sooner than later, money burning a hole in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
When running E anything on any vehicle the limit ends up being fuel delivery capabilities... MOST stock fuel systems on DI cars dont seem to be able to run actual E85(they can obviously run it, but they cant take full advantage) because they run out of the ability to deliver fuel. E50 MIGHT be the limit of the stock fuel system on the ST and thus trying to run real E85 is a waste.

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Ortiz Performance is Tuning the Exp ST, they are another reputable Ecboost tuner that follows all the EPA guidelines.
I am working with another tuner that uses SCT. He has some solid Ecoboost performance tunes for other platforms that use the Auto octane adjustment that will advance or retard the timing based off the octane values. More to follow on this later.

Few questions from a noob to this platform/Ethanol tuning

1. Why does E50 perform better than E85 on the ST? Figured higher octane would equate to larger gains
2. I understand running an E50 Tune requires mixing E85 with 91/93, but if running an E85 Tune do you just fill the tank with 100% undiluted E85?
3. Hoping to get a tune with ZFG once he’s back up and running. My research on his site shows I need the MPVI2 with 4 credits to get up and running. Does that lock me in to a single tune (91 Octane for example)? Is there an additional cost for gaining access to E85/E50 tunes? In a perfect world I’d like access to all three (I think).

Thanks for any insight. Hoping Adam gets sorted sooner than later, money burning a hole in my pocket.

E85 from regular gas stations is blended with 87 octane . So running regular E85 without 93 won’t better than than 93 mixed with E85. You can get E85 that is blended with 93 or higher from performance venues but it was 5$-6$ per gallon before the pipeline was shutdown.

Reactions
When running E anything on any vehicle the limit ends up being fuel delivery capabilities... MOST stock fuel systems on DI cars dont seem to be able to run actual E85(they can obviously run it, but they cant take full advantage) because they run out of the ability to deliver fuel. E50 MIGHT be the limit of the stock fuel system on the ST and thus trying to run real E85 is a waste.
Thanks. Wondering why ZFG and other tuners offer an E85 tune instead of just E50

Reactions
Forgot to add the link https://www.ortizperformance.com/
Lee, who runs Ortiz is also a great Ford parts guy, answers emails very quickly, ships parts quickly. All around great company for w/e it’s worth.
Cool. Will definitely check them out

Reactions
I did - I asked him if what I read on here was true about pausing on taking new customers and he said “For a couple months or less yes, just on tuning not parts and I'll still be supporting all my current customers.”
Adam told me mid to late summer....that's more than a couple of months. Talked to him first hand as well. Getting mixed opinions on this....

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks. Wondering why ZFG and other tuners offer an E85 tune instead of just E50

Because people swap HPFP’s and can run E85 without mixing...it still won’t make any more power than E50 due to other limitations. Adam has posted results from all fuels on here somewhere

LokiWolf

Reactions
Order of Power on the ST most to least on different fuels using ZFG as the tuning source:

E85(Aftermarket Pump like XDI) - otherwise Stock
E50(Stock Pump) - slightly slower 0-60, maybe a 10th, but several 10ths in the 1/4, due to cooling.
E85(Stock Pump) - few 100ths faster than a 93 tune 0-60, but a little more than a 10th in the 1/4
93 Tuned
93 Stock(There is 10-15 HP to be had running 93 over 87 on the Stock Tune)
87 Stock

Also the 87-93 Gas is assuming E10. E0 will make even less power regardless of what grandpa says!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Reactions
Order of Power on the ST most to least on different fuels using ZFG as the tuning source:

E85(Aftermarket Pump like XDI) - otherwise Stock
E50(Stock Pump) - slightly slower 0-60, maybe a 10th, but several 10ths in the 1/4, due to cooling.
E85(Stock Pump) - few 100ths faster than a 93 tune 0-60, but a little more than a 10th in the 1/4
93 Tuned
93 Stock(There is 10-15 HP to be had running 93 over 87 on the Stock Tune)
87 Stock

Also the 87-93 Gas is assuming E10. E0 will make even less power regardless of what grandpa says!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This=Very helpful. Thx!

P.s. is Adam back yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions
I cant speak to what those guys call their tunes, but most tuners I believe will build an ethanol tune that is based on up to E85 and the tune has tables for lower levels of ethanol in the fuel... Most pump E85 is no where near 85% ethanol.

This kind of stuff is a big reason why the "flex fuel" sensors are the hot ticket for this kind of stuff... Run basically whatever from 87-93-e30-e50-e85... I dont think anybody has a flex fuel sensor kit out for us yet, hopefully though.