Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tuning for dummies

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I test my local station once a week...fill up there 2-3 times a week. Never seen lower than 85 and have seen as high as 92.

Reactions
I test my local station once a week...fill up there 2-3 times a week. Never seen lower than 85 and have seen as high as 92.
Interesting... I have never gotten into E85 but a bunch of my corvette buddies run it and they all say a lot of the pump is usually in the 60's... and shockingly Kroger usually has the best E85 around.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Interesting... I have never gotten into E85 but a bunch of my corvette buddies run it and they all say a lot of the pump is usually in the 60's... and shockingly Kroger usually has the best E85 around.
In the Winter in Cooler states, 60ish is normal. In warmer it doesn’t typically change. It is good to test regularly if you are running EXX tunes.

Like @UNBROKEN my local station typically runs around 83, seen as low as 72, and as high as 87.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
I cant speak to what those guys call their tunes, but most tuners I believe will build an ethanol tune that is based on up to E85 and the tune has tables for lower levels of ethanol in the fuel... Most pump E85 is no where near 85% ethanol.

This kind of stuff is a big reason why the "flex fuel" sensors are the hot ticket for this kind of stuff... Run basically whatever from 87-93-e30-e50-e85... I dont think anybody has a flex fuel sensor kit out for us yet, hopefully though.
Check out the Fuel It blue tooth sensor. You don’t need some vehicle specific kit for it. I have one on my SHO and works great!

Reactions
Check out the Fuel It blue tooth sensor. You don’t need some vehicle specific kit for it. I have one on my SHO and works great!
I'm 99% certain these explorers dont have a flex fuel sensor, but maybe they do.

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
I'm 99% certain these explorers dont have a flex fuel sensor, but maybe they do.
The Fuel It ethanol sensor is for just seeing what ethanol levels you have in real time. I was having issues getting my e30 mixtures consistent until I got one of these sensors. I think this was due to the ethanol percentage in the 93 not being consistent. It’s definitely something good to have if you run any blend of e85 with 93 imo.

Reactions
The Fuel It ethanol sensor is for just seeing what ethanol levels you have in real time. I was having issues getting my e30 mixtures consistent until I got one of these sensors. I think this was due to the ethanol percentage in the 93 not being consistent. It’s definitely something good to have if you run any blend of e85 with 93 imo.
You would have to add a sensor to the explorer fuel system. That companies web page looks like it is designed to plug into an existing flex fuel sensor in between the sensor and your wiring harness.

LokiWolf

Reactions
You would have to add a sensor to the explorer fuel system. That companies web page looks like it is designed to plug into an existing flex fuel sensor in between the sensor and your wiring harness.
They have generic sensor kits. There are a couple ST’s out there that have installed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Reactions
UNBROKEN, remind me what tune you’re running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZFG. As am I.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
They have generic sensor kits. There are a couple ST’s out there that have installed them.

I’m about to add the sensor to mine. My P3 Gauge is already set up to display the content so no external gauge needed.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I’m about to add the sensor to mine. My P3 Gauge is already set up to display the content so no external gauge needed.
That is awesome!

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
This IS the sensor, I have one installed in my car lol. It comes with a Continental ethanol sensor, then plugs into the blue device that has a harness which goes to your battery.

F3EDC974-3D9E-4493-804A-B4DEBC4EA36E.jpeg

Reactions
This IS the sensor, I have one installed in my car lol. It comes with a Continental ethanol sensor, then plugs into the blue device that has a harness which goes to your battery.
You said "check out the Fuel-It Bluetooth sensor" so I plugged into the ol Google "fuel it bluetooth" and this is the website that comes up....

https://www.fuel-it.com/bluetooth-flex-fuel-analyzer/

Which appears to be the bluetooth transmission module that plugs into a flex-fuel sensor...It does not come with one unless you add one to the package for an extra $100.

Hence my confusion of why you would recommend a blue tooth add on for a flex fuel sensor that is non-existent on our cars.

LokiWolf

Reactions

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Whoosh doesn’t tune the Explorer. Those are canned tunes from SCT. They will be CRAP!

Thanks , I was kinda thinking that was the case.

Jim

Reactions
Waiting for ZFG but thought I’d ask a pricing question for anyone in the know. Would ideally like to have both 93 (only 91 available locally) and E50 tunes to alternate between. Anyone know how cost works? Know will need the HP Tuner MPVI2 with at least 4 credits. Somehow had the cost listed at $825 when I researched earlier but cant’t figure how I got there. Not sure how credits work but do I need 4 for each tune? Basically just looking for a ballpark figure (realize pricing could change) for the 93/E50 options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: