Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tuning for dummies

LokiWolf

Reactions
Waiting for ZFG but thought I’d ask a pricing question for anyone in the know. Would ideally like to have both 93 (only 91 available locally) and E50 tunes to alternate between. Anyone know how cost works? Know will need the HP Tuner MPVI2 with at least 4 credits. Somehow had the cost listed at $825 when I researched earlier but figure how I got there. Not sure how credits work but do I need 4 for each tune? Basically just looking for a ballpark figure (realize pricing could change) for the 93/E50 options.
4 credits allows that device to work with that vehicle now matter the tuner or number of tunes. You buy credits once per vehicle. You could get tunes from any company that supports the RTD/MPVI2. You really should consider the RTD if you don't plan on doing any tuning yourself.

$825 sounds about right with the old pricing scheme, but I would have to look closer. I expect the cost for all tuning to go up. The investment to meet the EPA requirements is not small. All companies are going to have to most likely bump up their costs a bit.

Reactions
4 credits allows that device to work with that vehicle now matter the tuner or number of tunes. You buy credits once per vehicle. You could get tunes from any company that supports the RTD/MPVI2. You really should consider the RTD if you don't plan on doing any tuning yourself.

$825 sounds about right with the old pricing scheme, but I would have to look closer. I expect the cost for all tuning to go up. The investment to meet the EPA requirements is not small. All companies are going to have to most likely bump up their costs a bit.
Thanks. Will look into RTD. Know the credit table shows the MPVI2 is required for our vehicle so figured that was all I needed. Good to know I’m in the ballpark cost wise (pre-waitlist anyway), hoping any spikes aren’t too aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
The wait will be worth it. I have been thoroughly impressed with my ZFG 93 tune......shockingly impressed.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Credits go to the vehicle. Once you have those and a device to work with it’s just the individual cost of the tunes...even if you use multiple people.

BT21ST

Reactions
HP Tuners is the way to go. Especially if you ever plan to do anything else or any other cars in the future. HP Tuners supports a lot of vehicles.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Noob question: I heard tuners can program different tunes to the various drive modes so the sport mode can be an E50 tune and another mode could be a 93 tune. Is this accurate, or do you physically have to load each tune when you want to run that specific tune? I'd love to run E50 most of the time, but occasionally take road trips where e85 isn't really available. How would that work?

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
To my knowledge that is incorrect. 1 tune applies to all the drive modes. The drive modes only effect throttle position in relation to the peddle and change up traction and shifting. In order to change tunes, you'd just keep your RTD or whatever tuner you have in the car and load the specific tune you want when you want it. That would be great if you could program different tunes on the different drive modes though.

Reactions
Vehicle
That's a bummer. Maybe someone will figure out how to make that happen. Until then, I guess I'll just change it manually :)

Thanks for your feedback!

LokiWolf

Reactions
That's a bummer. Maybe someone will figure out how to make that happen. Until then, I guess I'll just change it manually :)

Thanks for your feedback!
There is no figuring. The tables aren’t there. Tables have to exist to be written to.

Use your RTD+ and the TDN app. Many of us still do it with a laptop because we have the MPVI2 not the +.

Reactions
Vehicle
There is no figuring. The tables aren’t there. Tables have to exist to be written to.

Use your RTD+ and the TDN app. Many of us still do it with a laptop because we have the MPVI2 not the +.

Are you able to have multiple tunes on your phone and swap them at will wtih the RTD+ at will?

Also, side question, is there a recommended number of miles you want to put on the vehicle before getting into tunes, or makes no difference?

LokiWolf

Reactions
Are you able to have multiple tunes on your phone and swap them at will wtih the RTD+ at will?

Also, side question, is there a recommended number of miles you want to put on the vehicle before getting into tunes, or makes no difference?
The simple answer is yes. The phone is used to send the tune to the RTD+, and the RTD+ stores it for upload to the car.

Many people will recommend several thousand miles to 10K. I did mine at about 600? I said I was going to wait longer but that didn’t happen. I traded my ST with 15K, 14K of which tuned, and 10K of that on E50. Loved it! Would still have it, but needed the versatility of a Truck. So 21 PowerBoost now.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Noob question: I heard tuners can program different tunes to the various drive modes so the sport mode can be an E50 tune and another mode could be a 93 tune. Is this accurate, or do you physically have to load each tune when you want to run that specific tune? I'd love to run E50 most of the time, but occasionally take road trips where e85 isn't really available. How would that work?
I was thinking this same thing on the way into work today. I just ordered up my RDT and ZFG tune and waiting on delivery.
I have had EFI Live on my Duramax for about 12 years and love it because I have 5 on-the-fly tunes depending on what I am doing. Yes it's typically on the performance tune but able to switch on the fly to Tow when in need (which happens alot) and Economy or Race should I want.
Why is this not possible on the Ford Platform? Why can it not be programmed into the drive mode(s) for other mapping?

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
I'm sure this is going to sound like a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway lol.

So pretty much every vehicle I have ever had has been tuned, but I have never had a vehicle with selectable drive modes. I assume that the drive modes remain useable with the tune correct? Is there still variances in the different modes when each is selected when tuned?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm sure this is going to sound like a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway lol.

So pretty much every vehicle I have ever had has been tuned, but I have never had a vehicle with selectable drive modes. I assume that the drive modes remain useable with the tune correct? Is there still variances in the different modes when each is selected when tuned?
Drive modes will still function as intended.

KegsBdry

Reactions
We have dealt with several recalls on the 2020 Ford Explorer ST. And I'm currently at 50,000 miles. But there seems to be something broken every other visit (heated seat, crack in the exhaust, trunk lift gate not functional, battery cap replacement, etc) when I bring it in for an oil change.

How are these vehicles with a tune if I want to drive it for 100,000 miles?

With as many warranty items as I've had, I get the feeling my local Ford is looking to get money back on all these warranty items. I get the notion they're not going to like working on a tuned vehicle. Meaning if anything's wrong with the engine, they're going to have me pay out of pocket. Since I'm at 50,000 miles, my biggest concern was the transmission. But I haven't had any of the issues everyone else has been dealing with.

Reactions
We have dealt with several recalls on the 2020 Ford Explorer ST. And I'm currently at 50,000 miles. But there seems to be something broken every other visit (heated seat, crack in the exhaust, trunk lift gate not functional, battery cap replacement, etc) when I bring it in for an oil change.

How are these vehicles with a tune if I want to drive it for 100,000 miles?

With as many warranty items as I've had, I get the feeling my local Ford is looking to get money back on all these warranty items. I get the notion they're not going to like working on a tuned vehicle. Meaning if anything's wrong with the engine, they're going to have me pay out of pocket. Since I'm at 50,000 miles, my biggest concern was the transmission. But I haven't had any of the issues everyone else has been dealing with.
Hey KegsBdry, hope all is well. You and I are at about the same milestone . My 2020 is in the low 50s and from time to time I need service done beyond oil changes. I've been ZFG tuned snce 36k with 0.0 issues. When it goes in for service or warranty repairs I leave it tuned. If I know or suspect them to test drive it I'll flash back to stock. While there are no outward indications it's tuned (gears are not displayed in normal mode and the auto start/stop is not disabled) even a novice service tech would know it's tuned if they drove it like they stole it. After that they'll hook it up and know it's been tuned regardless. As far as long term on a tune, I'm thinking it is more up to the driver and the tune. As I've often said, I don't race it, or compete for drag slips or draggy bragging rights. I've never done a 2500 rpm power brake launch, but I have hit the rev limiter a couple of times. Given how I drive and the tune I have, I feel tuned or not the drive train will last as long as it is going to last. From what I've read here there a some tuns that may add stress to the drive train, so there's that to be considered. Just my .02 worth. Cheers

KegsBdry

Reactions
Hey KegsBdry, hope all is well. You and I are at about the same milestone . My 2020 is in the low 50s and from time to time I need service done beyond oil changes. I've been ZFG tuned snce 36k with 0.0 issues. When it goes in for service or warranty repairs I leave it tuned. If I know or suspect them to test drive it I'll flash back to stock. While there are no outward indications it's tuned (gears are not displayed in normal mode and the auto start/stop is not disabled) even a novice service tech would know it's tuned if they drove it like they stole it. After that they'll hook it up and know it's been tuned regardless. As far as long term on a tune, I'm thinking it is more up to the driver and the tune. As I've often said, I don't race it, or compete for drag slips or draggy bragging rights. I've never done a 2500 rpm power brake launch, but I have hit the rev limiter a couple of times. Given how I drive and the tune I have, I feel tuned or not the drive train will last as long as it is going to last. From what I've read here there a some tuns that may add stress to the drive train, so there's that to be considered. Just my .02 worth. Cheers
This is good advice. I've heard nothing but good things about ZFG. After these two recalls are complete, I'll use my tax return money to get a tune. Thanks.