Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tow to the dealer....

Reactions
So we were taking the ST to the dealer on Tuesday the 31st for a service and some recall inspections when it went south. I was following my wife (me in my truck, her in the ST) driving down the hwy when all of sudden she jumps on to the shoulder with a quickness. The car was overheating, like pegged out hot. Had it towed to the dealer, as we were going there anyway. What we know so far...
1. We have a bad thermostat (faulty from factory as it shouldn’t go bad in 8700 miles).
2. Our front passenger heated seat just had a loose connection. So that’s fixed.
3. Recall issues and servicing (oil change, basics, etc.) are taken care of.
4. Had to wait til today or tomorrow (Thursday Jan 2nd or Fri Jan 3rd) for the thermostat to come as the dealer doesn’t really have any parts for the 2020 explorer on hand yet.
5. Their apparently was another code that was thrown/being read that stated “dissimilar head temperatures”(any thoughts?)

We are still waiting on an update, they have to replace the thermostat before diagnosing the head temperature situation. I’ll keep y’all in the loop as this situation progresses.

Last edited:
Reactions
Sorry to hear about your recent issues. But please do keep us in the loop.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Alright, so we were able to pick up the car from the dealer today. The over heating issue was resolved. The thermostat was replaced, and was the cause of the “dissimilar head temp”. However in the process of replacing the thermostat the technician cracked the intake air box. It was temporarily fixed with some plastic jb weld type stuff, and a new one was put on order. Other items put on order were a cabin air filter and updated performance brake pads (that go along with my performance brake package). Everything on order will take a while, (brand new car, all/most parts are going to new manufacturing rather than repairs) so we’re holding onto our car until everything comes in. Everything was covered under either our warranty or maintenance coverage.

PS- nothing was said nor “fixed” (hose replaced) regarding the VTA mod, and they were all up in that area. Just happy to have the car back without any further issues from over heating.

Reactions
Alright, so we were able to pick up the car from the dealer today. The over heating issue was resolved. The thermostat was replaced, and was the cause of the “dissimilar head temp”. However in the process of replacing the thermostat the technician cracked the intake air box. It was temporarily fixed with some plastic jb weld type stuff, and a new one was put on order. Other items put on order were a cabin air filter and updated performance brake pads (that go along with my performance brake package). Everything on order will take a while, (brand new car, all/most parts are going to new manufacturing rather than repairs) so we’re holding onto our car until everything comes in. Everything was covered under either our warranty or maintenance coverage.

PS- nothing was said nor “fixed” (hose replaced) regarding the VTA mod, and they were all up in that area. Just happy to have the car back without any further issues from over heating.
Thanks for the update @Cross88, glad it's a fixed for you.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Well boys and girls, it happened again, less than 2 weeks later we get another check light for “low coolant temp”. Exactly how our overheating issue started last time. Car is towed to the dealer twice within a month. This thing is getting really close to a lemon. We have to drive cross country in about 6-8 months and we can’t have this happening, it’s a huge safety concern especially with having kids.

Reactions
Well boys and girls, it happened again, less than 2 weeks later we get another check light for “low coolant temp”. Exactly how our overheating issue started last time. Car is towed to the dealer twice within a month. This thing is getting really close to a lemon. We have to drive cross country in about 6-8 months and we can’t have this happening, it’s a huge safety concern especially with having kids.
Sorry to hear. Following to see what's wrong with it this time.

Reactions
Hopefully it was just air pockets in the cooling system from when they drained and refilled it. The coolant level drops when those air pockets “burp” out so it just may need to be topped off.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Got a call saying all physical checks were good to include levels, pressure checks and a test drive. Dealer made a call to their tech reps/support, whoever they are, “big ford”. They are thinking it maybe some sort or relay/sensor/computer issue, we are now on to electrical issues for the cooling system. We’ll see what happens. I’m not taking it from the dealer and putting my wife and kids in it until there is a resolution. We are also on the brink/gathering info on a lemon. Stay tuned for more information as I get it.

Last edited:
OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Update: first response from tech reps/“big ford”, drain, fill and bleed entire cooling system and check connections and harnesses. Response wasn’t received til almost close of business. Probably won’t hear anything new til tomorrow. More news to come, stay tuned.

Reactions
Update: first response from tech reps/“big ford”, drain, fill and bleed entire cooling system and check connections and harnesses. Response wasn’t received til almost close of business. Probably won’t hear anything new til tomorrow. More news to come, stay tuned.
Are they at least giving you a loaner while it as the dealer?

Reactions
Thanks for keeping us updated

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Are they at least giving you a loaner while it as the dealer?
Ha... well the dealers near me don’t do loaners, we’ve a rental covered under our warranty, but it only covers $30 a day. That is not enough for a comparable sized rental, so we are paying out of pocket for a correct sized rental for our family. We also almost had to pay extra on towing because we were just outside the 35 mile range that warranty covers. We paid for the extended warranty, maintenance... pretty much the works, and this is the shit we’re dealing with.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Update #2: Dealer performed drain, fill and bleed and checked all harnesses then took it on another test drive. With a “data logger” hooked up they found some things. The thermostat is opening up at 160* (operating temperature is around 190*), and rapidly cooling the motor. The coolant temperature would get to almost operating temperature then cool back down. It’s not holding operating temperature and the actual engine temperature and coolant temperature aren’t meshing as they should. Essentially the car is over cooling, and the cylinder head temperature and coolant aren’t meshing temperature wise. The dealer yet again sent in this info to their tech reps/engineers for further assistance on how to proceed. This is apparently the first time this is happening to our vehicles. We also have the most up to date software/programming update their is. Should hear more news tomorrow.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Update #3: kind of vague because our service rep went home before we got an update. But what I got from another service rep is that programs and sensors got looked into, everything came back operational but still no resolution to our issues. Yet another message was sent into “big ford tech reps” for further assistant. Come Monday I’ll be speaking to ford customer service on the subject of compensation and buy back. This is getting out of hand, and at this point a “repair” can’t be trusted.

Reactions
Update #3: kind of vague because our service rep went home before we got an update. But what I got from another service rep is that programs and sensors got looked into, everything came back operational but still no resolution to our issues. Yet another message was sent into “big ford tech reps” for further assistant. Come Monday I’ll be speaking to ford customer service on the subject of compensation and buy back. This is getting out of hand, and at this point a “repair” can’t be trusted.
Maybe ask them to give you a free extended warranty. Tell them you lost faith in the vehicle and have young kids that you drive around.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
We already purchased the extended warranty, maintenance plan, pretty much everything. I’m active duty military, and whenever I go on deployment i wanted my wife to not have to worry about a thing being covered. But it’s at a point where even if/when we get it back, we don’t trust that the problem was actually fixed and we don’t end up stranded on the side of the road. Or just my wife and kids stranded on the side of the road. People now a days don’t know how to move over to give courtesy to those broke down or law enforcement/emergency services.

Reactions
We already purchased the extended warranty, maintenance plan, pretty much everything. I’m active duty military, and whenever I go on deployment i wanted my wife to not have to worry about a thing being covered. But it’s at a point where even if/when we get it back, we don’t trust that the problem was actually fixed and we don’t end up stranded on the side of the road. Or just my wife and kids stranded on the side of the road. People now a days don’t know how to move over to give courtesy to those broke down or law enforcement/emergency services.
I don't blame you buddy and thanks for your service. Have you tried to contact Ford directly for a possible buy back?

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
Not yet, that’s the plan for Monday. We fall into a huge grey I believe. Only because we purchased (signed contract) in Nevada, registered in Florida and currently reside in California. I’ll be sure to update as I get new information.

Reactions
Sorry to read about your troubles Cross, I hope everything turns out well for you.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
So who’s ready for the latest update? Well here it is. So we called ford customer service, and as it turns out we had to be put on a list for the regional manager to call us because this is a big issue that they’re aware of (2020 explorer issues in general). Also some more news I found out, is that apparently (according to good resources aka an advisor for ford) the 2020 explorers are currently not being sent to dealers right now, the only ones that can be sold are the ones currently on dealer lots. That’s the latest and greatest, stay tuned for more as it comes in.