Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tow to the dealer....

Reactions
So who’s ready for the latest update? Well here it is. So we called ford customer service, and as it turns out we had to be put on a list for the regional manager to call us because this is a big issue that they’re aware of (2020 explorer issues in general). Also some more news I found out, is that apparently (according to good resources aka an advisor for ford) the 2020 explorers are currently not being sent to dealers right now, the only ones that can be sold are the ones currently on dealer lots. That’s the latest and greatest, stay tuned for more as it comes in.
Oh wow. They didn't say what was the cause of the problem?

Reactions
That's encouraging...NOT!

Reactions
So who’s ready for the latest update? Well here it is. So we called ford customer service, and as it turns out we had to be put on a list for the regional manager to call us because this is a big issue that they’re aware of (2020 explorer issues in general). Also some more news I found out, is that apparently (according to good resources aka an advisor for ford) the 2020 explorers are currently not being sent to dealers right now, the only ones that can be sold are the ones currently on dealer lots. That’s the latest and greatest, stay tuned for more as it comes in.
Well that's not all that encouraging since I just ordered one to be built; guess I'll be waiting a bit lol

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
Newest update: finally got ahold of ford customer service, they are covering/reimbursing our out of pocket expenses for the rental and also starting the buy back process. Apparently from our point of contact we can use any of the 3 states lemon law conditions for a buy back. We currently qualify for one of the conditions. The process can take up to 30 days so more to follow. But on the repair side, their really is no update. The most recent response from “big ford tech reps” was to check another exp st, which it’s not the same and doesn’t have our issue. Funny part about that is the dealer did that while waiting on a response. So now that information was sent back, and the dealer is waiting on yet another response. That kind of tells me big ford tech reps are running out of ideas. Only time will tell. My updates will be a little more spread out from this point on, but I will continue to update as I get more information.

Reactions
Glad to hear this. So the big questions is will you get another ST? lol

Newest update: finally got ahold of ford customer service, they are covering/reimbursing our out of pocket expenses for the rental and also starting the buy back process. Apparently from our point of contact we can use any of the 3 states lemon law conditions for a buy back. We currently qualify for one of the conditions. The process can take up to 30 days so more to follow. But on the repair side, their really is no update. The most recent response from “big ford tech reps” was to check another exp st, which it’s not the same and doesn’t have our issue. Funny part about that is the dealer did that while waiting on a response. So now that information was sent back, and the dealer is waiting on yet another response. That kind of tells me big ford tech reps are running out of ideas. Only time will tell. My updates will be a little more spread out from this point on, but I will continue to update as I get more information.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
We are not, we have pretty much lost faith. I will continue to give updates until it is complete for anyone here who happens to end up going thru the same situation. Information never hurts

Reactions
We are not, we have pretty much lost faith. I will continue to give updates until it is complete for anyone here who happens to end up going thru the same situation. Information never hurts
I don't blame you, hope it all gets resolved.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #29
Update: dealer ordered a coolant temp sensor (I believe). That part is going to take 7 days to get there. With that repair comes a cooling system bleed, then a test drive. Other parts to come in have been the cabin air filter and the updated performance brake pads. Still awaiting the lower intake air box assembly they broke the first time it was in the shop for overheating. Apparently they took the car to get gas because it was pretty empty (and they did use 91 octane), and the service tech was watching the temp gauge, it got to almost operating temperature then dropped to just above max cold reading. They did say the thermostat and fan were operating properly, that’s probably what lead them to the coolant temperature sensor (that or big ford tech reps said change it). We should be hearing back from our ford customer service point of contact on the 4th with an update. That should happen before the repair. So stay tuned.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #30
Well we got approved for a buy back. We’ll be getting a call within the next 2 weeks on the rest of process and how long it’ll take. Still no word from the dealer on whether or not the part came in and if that fixed the issue.

Tony L

Reactions
Well we got approved for a buy back. We’ll be getting a call within the next 2 weeks on the rest of process and how long it’ll take. Still no word from the dealer on whether or not the part came in and if that fixed the issue.
Did they talk to you about the terms of the pending buy back? I have initiated that process myself with having all kinds of issues but it does seem like I'm getting the run around from the Customer Care rep. Waiting for yet another call next Tuesday as they had to send back more info to the buy back team. I also purchased mine in Florida and I got the full extended warranty. I'm currently waiting on a module deals with the camera system. I've had several issues. Lane centering inop, seat quality, random closing tail gate, battery and ignition system issues that remain unsolved. Mine has spend more than a month of time in the shop and I'm kind of over it and the waiting for parts cause they're not available BS. I have been compensated for one months payment already.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #32
No not yet, we just got word yesterday that they’re approving a buy back. We’re waiting on a call about terms and such. Our customer care rep is pretty good, but hopefully that doesn’t happen to us. Ours has been a cooling system issue that has had to be towed to the dealer twice, once when it over heated and left us on the side of hwy. it’s been a cumulative of 25 days and it’s still in the shop. We weren’t sure if they’d even approve it as we fall in a grey area being active duty military. Purchased in Nevada, currently reside in California and vehicle is registered in Florida. Goodluck on your buy back.

LAMB

Reactions
No not yet, we just got word yesterday that they’re approving a buy back. We’re waiting on a call about terms and such. Our customer care rep is pretty good, but hopefully that doesn’t happen to us. Ours has been a cooling system issue that has had to be towed to the dealer twice, once when it over heated and left us on the side of hwy. it’s been a cumulative of 25 days and it’s still in the shop. We weren’t sure if they’d even approve it as we fall in a grey area being active duty military. Purchased in Nevada, currently reside in California and vehicle is registered in Florida. Goodluck on your buy back.
It sounds like we are having the same issue with our 2020 Explorer St as you. Towed twice to the dealer with the overheating message and the engine going into limp mode. We have ask for a buy back or another vehicle. Ford told the dealer that it has to happen a third time before they will do anything for us. Can you give us some suggestions on how to get some results? We are afraid to take this vehicle back and drive it. We were lucky that we were not on the highway when it happen the first two times.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #34
Sorry to hear that. 1. Every state has different requirements that need to be met for buyback/replace. 2. Ours is actually still in the shop because it’s not longer an overheating issue but an overcooling issue (won’t reach and maintain operating temperature).
Even with big ford tech reps they can’t figure out the issue, plus the wait for parts. Ours has been in the shop for almost 50 cumulative days, 47 and counting cuz like I said it’s still in the shop.
If you haven’t called ford customer service, I would suggest doing that. That’s actually how we got the ball rolling on ours.
Best of luck tho.

OHST

Reactions
Hey Cross, what's the update on your buy back?

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #36
Most recent update, car is still in the shop. Buy back wise, kind of still phase 1 or 1a perhaps. They have documentation, awaiting a call on the “offer” or numbers break down. As in what they’re paying off, what they are giving back to us and what they’re stealing...I mean keeping. Should be fully processed by the end of the month, hopefully.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #37
Update: car is still in the shop, been waiting on a part of a part. Potentially will be fixed in the next day or 2 if they’re still open. Buy back has been taking much longer than needed and expected. Apparently it’s on hold due to the corona virus. We should’ve had an offer by now but they’ve been dragging their feet. So yea, good ole ford at it again.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #38
Update: we got the car back, finally. It’s been almost 3 straight months in the shop. Still awaiting word on the buy back. It’s probably going to be awhile due to the current health pandemic.

Reactions
Update: we got the car back, finally. It’s been almost 3 straight months in the shop. Still awaiting word on the buy back. It’s probably going to be awhile due to the current health pandemic.
Hope you continue to enjoy the ride while you wait for the buy back.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #40
Yea I’m driving primarily, while we still have it, keep the miles off my truck lol. It still drives good, looks nice and has a lot of amenities (that’s what happens when you pay top dollar to have everything). At this point it’s a safety and reliability issue with us. We just don’t have that warm and fuzzy about the car anymore. And as it turns out, it was the coolant temp sensor that was faulty.