Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tow to the dealer....

Reactions
Yea I’m driving primarily, while we still have it, keep the miles off my truck lol. It still drives good, looks nice and has a lot of amenities (that’s what happens when you pay top dollar to have everything). At this point it’s a safety and reliability issue with us. We just don’t have that warm and fuzzy about the car anymore. And as it turns out, it was the coolant temp sensor that was faulty.
Just saw this and thought that would let you know that I had the same problem with my ST.
I had to have mine towed in with the same temperature issue.
They said that it was not running hot after having it in there for a few days.
I told them I did not want to take it back until they found the problem.
Turns out that there is a pigtail that runs on the side of the motor and is connected to two sensors ( temperature )
They had to order all three( pigtail and two sensors)
But of course one of the sensors was on back order.
They had my ST for just under a month.
After me bitching about not having my vehicle and having to make payments for a vehicle that was not in my possession they finally were able to get the pieces.
I have been back on the road and have not had any more problems since.
I hope that this might help you if you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Good luck
Steve

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #42
Yea all/most of our parts were back order as well. Ours was in the shop twice, first for the t-stat for just over a week and second for coolant temp sensor plus a whole lot of diagnostics for almost 3 straight months. We have the car back now, ford covered out of pocket rental charges (not without a fight) and we got our buy back process rolling. We are still awaiting our detailed numbers break down offer (Covid-19 is slowing that down). It’s just been a real headache, and ruined our faith/trust in the vehicle and ford themselves. Especially for a vehicle we paid top dollar for and are supposed to trust to not leave my wife and kids stranded while we travel cross country (active duty military PCS) and while I’m on deployment.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Would have had to tow my vehicle to the dealer if I did not have a trickle charger for the battery. Just started running into electrical issues when I wanted to go do a quick drive today. The first sign was the remote start failed to engage. When I got into the vehicle and tried to start the car, the headlights flashed a few times in several electronic clicking noises happened. The car did not even try and turn over. After locking the vehicle and (attempt) walking away, the ST symbol showed on the ground in the PIN code for the door lit up for about 20 minutes straight until the battery fully died. it was almost as if the car was trying to discharge the last of its juice to fully kill the battery. Had to use the hidden key in the key fob to unlock the driver door to pop the hood. Got my trickle charger on the battery and received a notification from fordpass app that my hood was left open (mins later). I take it the battery charged just enough to get fordpass to reconnect. When I checked out the vehicle, the flashers we're on and the only way to disable them was to turn the vehicle on, but not running, and turn it back off. I closed the hood with a trickle charger still connected, but the daytime running lights would not turn off. Had to manually turn the headlight knob to the off position to stop that from draining the battery while the trickle charger does its job. Is this thing trying to kill itself?

No idea what drained the battery, just did a hundred mile trip 3 days ago, no issues. I hope this trickle charger gets it back in shape long enough for me to get over and do an oil change / diagnostics at the dealership. But from what I read above, I'm in real fear this vehicle may need a few sensor replacements.

Do you think this was caused by some Ford update push down? is there anything that could be draining the battery that for doesn't automatically have disconnected after a. Of time? IE, overhead lights?

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #44
Well after one heck of a process, especially with this Covid crap. We finally turned the car in today. Bye bye explorer. Hope y’all have better luck with yours, and hopefully our issue and then finally finding a resolution will help others in the future not have their car sit at the dealer for 3 months straight.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Well after one heck of a process, especially with this Covid crap. We finally turned the car in today. Bye bye explorer. Hope y’all have better luck with yours, and hopefully our issue and then finally finding a resolution will help others in the future not have their car sit at the dealer for 3 months straight.
After 30 days at the dealership, i thought you can call lemon law (or something) and they have to pay you the full price back. My buddy had an issue with his Focus RS & the engine recall. They had it for 29.5 days, He got it back and it went right back in the shop because they didn't want it in there for 30 days.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #46
After 30 days at the dealership, i thought you can call lemon law (or something) and they have to pay you the full price back. My buddy had an issue with his Focus RS & the engine recall. They had it for 29.5 days, He got it back and it went right back in the shop because they didn't want it in there for 30 days.
We started it before the 30day mark, it just took this long to fully process and to turn it in.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Damn. Sorry
We started it before the 30day mark, it just took this long to fully process and to turn it in.
Sorry to lose a fellow ST owner. Keep to the HP life!

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #48
Damn. Sorry

Sorry to lose a fellow ST owner. Keep to the HP life!
Thanks appreciate it. We already replaced it and got the wife an srt Durango. Definitely staying with a fast 3 row suv

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Thanks appreciate it. We already replaced it and got the wife an srt Durango. Definitely staying with a fast 3 row suv
Good luck on the new SRT, sorry to see you go as well.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I was considering the SRT but could not find one at a reasonable price. If you don’t mind sharing, how much did you pay for one (out the door price)? Did you get any add-ons (Sunroof)? Got a pic?

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #52
I was considering the SRT but could not find one at a reasonable price. If you don’t mind sharing, how much did you pay for one (out the door price)? Did you get any add-ons (Sunroof)? Got a pic?
we got the tech package, tow package... pretty much it outside stock. And we paid just a hair more than the ST.

Attachments

Reactions
we got the tech package, tow package... pretty much it outside stock. And we paid just a hair more than the ST.
How's it ride and drive compared to the ST?

KegsBdry

Reactions
THAT SRT LOOKS REAL GOOD!

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #55
How's it ride and drive compared to the ST?
Just as smooth, obviously has more power and you can tell. From a dig and rolling, the srt walks on a ST stock to stock. I will say the ST has more creature comforts and is a tad bigger on the inside. The SRT is built more towards performance, and has more towing capacity also. The SRT also sounds better...in my opinion.

Explorer ST Posts