Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #21
I don’t know never looked at the sticker? I prefer to look at the tire and put it where I feel is best. To me 40 hot is best.
The manufacturer also recommends to not tune your car get oil change every 3k miles and Bla Bla Bla really don’t know how many miles but again I refer to the oil I use not what a sticker says. This is just me everyone can do as they please of coarse.
I took them down to 36 psi will work my way to perfection eventually !!! Thanks you ! :)
They look low now but will see how she rides in the morning I was sitting at 48 psi lol

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #22
Ford does not put generic tire labels on their vehicles. Each label shows the specific size tire the pressure rating is for. View attachment 13352
That’s a nice red there Kansas
Ford does not put generic tire labels on their vehicles. Each label shows the specific size tire the pressure rating is for. View attachment 13352
that’s a nice red there Kansas sweet !!
I took mine down from 48 psi to 36 psi will see how she rolls in the morning test drive !!
Thank you !! :)

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #23
I totally agree with you Rocket the door jam sticker is for the regular Explorers !!
Now the Explorer ST 21 inch wheels scorpion low profile tires is an all together deferent animal !! If you know what I mean :)
I took them down from 48 psi to 36 psi will see how she rides in the morning !!
Thanks you :)

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Back in the day, I managed two districts of tire stores, 21 stores in all. We sold $120,000,000 in tires in these two districts annually. I've seen most all of it when it comes to tires, the good, the bad and all the dollars lost in tire adjustments that were really the fault of the person running the tires.

Following the maximum rating as listed on the tire? Seriously? With only a few exceptions tires are designed to be installed on from a few to many different types of vehicles. These different vehicles from STs to Teslas weigh and carry what they weigh and the tire is inflated to support the load for that specific vehicle up to the tire's maximum.

Your door sticker plus or minus a couple/few pounds depending upon your load is the best advice I could give anyone. You won't find a tire manufacturer anywhere that will tell you to run a tire at the tire's listed maximum inflation under all conditions. In fact, you won't find a tire manufacturer that would tell you anything other than to follow Ford's instructions. In this case, Ford's door sticker is a good rule to follow.

Many people inside the industry don't understand this. It isn't unusual at all to get home from an oil change and have your tires filled to the max listed on the tire. Check your tires every couple of tank fulls or at least monthly. You'll get the best overall performance/mileage/wear combination out of them. Follow the recommendations for the vehicle not the maximum listed PSI for the tire.

No doubt, that's more than you wanted to read.

Last edited:

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Good advice Gearhead. Hope he listens. Kind of doubt it because he has ignored every thing I posted.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Good advice Gearhead. Hope he listens. Kind of doubt it because he has ignored every thing I posted.
30 minutes in the owner's manual and most would walk away understanding this much better.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I don’t know never looked at the sticker? I prefer to look at the tire and put it where I feel is best. To me 40 hot is best.
The manufacturer also recommends to not tune your car get oil change every 3k miles and Bla Bla Bla really don’t know how many miles but again I refer to the oil I use not what a sticker says. This is just me everyone can do as they please of coarse.
I keep mine at 33 PSI cold. It isn't uncommon at all this time of year for me to see the dash indicate that there are 38 PSI in them after a 20-minute road trip. Hot temps push them right up there.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I keep mine at 33 PSI cold. It isn't uncommon at all this time of year for me to see the dash indicate that there are 38 PSI in them after a 20-minute road trip. Hot temps push them right up there.
You know what your talking about. Unlike some others. Thanks for sharing. (y)(y)

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
You're too kind. Thank you.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I wish everyone on the forum had the opportunity to go through a tire manufacturing plant. It will completely change one's mind about these round, rubber, and black donuts that live their lives in the conditions we put them through. Tires really are manufactured at white glove standards. I had a chance to go through two (different manufacturing) plants. Seriously made me give a good tire a level of respect that I hadn't previously had.

Last edited:

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Airless tires will soon be mass produced, so we won't be having this argument much longer. In the meantime, please go by the doorjamb sticker, like others have said. It is there for a reason. Also, overinflated tires actually wear out the quickest, although as most us remember why TPMS's became a requirement, underinflated tires can be very dangerous.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
I may be the only one to do so, but I leave the selectable dash display on tire pressure. I just find it interesting to see the pressure changes with temperature. Highway driving on a warm day is about 38 psi from standard 33. Cold day sitting in a parking lot goes below 33. BTW after about eight months of ownership all tires still maintain 33 psi at rest in the garage. I have never had to adjust them.

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #34
I’m going to start monitoring with the dash display and see what’s really happening !!
Thank for the heads up :)

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Another vote for 38 cold 40 hot

Reactions
I may be the only one to do so, but I leave the selectable dash display on tire pressure. I just find it interesting to see the pressure changes with temperature. Highway driving on a warm day is about 38 psi from standard 33. Cold day sitting in a parking lot goes below 33. BTW after about eight months of ownership all tires still maintain 33 psi at rest in the garage. I have never had to adjust them.
I also look at the tire pressure display regularly to see the change due to weather, but I also use a tire pressure gauge to ensure the cold pressure is 33 from time to time.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Following the maximum rating as listed on the tire? Seriously? With only a few exceptions tires are designed to be installed on from a few to many different types of vehicles. These different vehicles from STs to Teslas weigh and carry what they weigh and the tire is inflated to support the load for that specific vehicle up to the tire's maximum.

No doubt, that's more than you wanted to read.
I did not see anyone in this thread say run tire pressure at max rated on tire?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
You know what your talking about. Unlike some others. Thanks for sharing. (y)(y)
lol do you swallow also?
you run 33psi oh big deal. take your Im better then you attitude
The OP will figure out what he wants to run and big deal. its a recommendation not a law. I think he said hes running 36lbs lol you think the tire is gonna blow up or something? you think your better cuz you have 3lbs less than him? what do you think will happen to his tire at 36lbs? I gotta hear this.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Holy crap these responses are hilarious. Slick, please take information at face value. Like many have said, at the end of the day we can't stop you from filling the tires with maximum pressure.

That being said the manufacturer recommends the pressure on weight of vehicle and regular driving conditions. Unless towing or anything out of the ordinary I would highly recommend following the door jam sticker. Unless you desire wearing your tires irregularly/uneavenly there isn't much benefit to going outside this range.

"Fuel efficiency" isn't worth the trade off for tire life when you over-inflate and "comfort" when under-inflating will do just as much damage. One of the most common reasons for premature tire failure is improper tire pressure. Anyone who has ever run a shop or been around them (myself included) would concur.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Damn where you live at AZ? its been 100 a few days here and I keep my tire pressure gauge up on the dash I have only seen it go from 38 to 40 nothing higher yet. could also be that I only drive 20 miles mostly city driving? Im going on 50 mile trip later mostly freeway Ill see what it hits

Status
Not open for further replies.