Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Airless tires will soon be mass produced, so we won't be having this argument much longer. In the meantime, please go by the doorjamb sticker, like others have said. It is there for a reason. Also, overinflated tires actually wear out the quickest, although as most us remember why TPMS's became a requirement, underinflated tires can be very dangerous.
Airless tires ("tweels") have been around a long time. Michelin put some on a Corvette a long time ago. They worked great, handled well, were nail-resistant, etc., etc. One thing they can't handle: mud. It gets caught in the webbing and throws the balance WAY off. Great idea for lawn mowers, not so much for cars.

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #62
You sir are a good dude. I was ready to fight all these weirdos and you just cruise thru like a pimp, lol I wish I had your composure.
I might pump my tires up to 48 just to see how different it is.
I did learn that my tires from cold to hot only raise 2lbs I always knew they did but never how much. I still need to get on freeway for a longer trip to see if its more. Kinda useless info but still info,lol. Have a great weekend.
Thanks man I’m no longer riding like basketball jones !!! I mean I was bouncing down the road and my wife has pins and rodd on her spine in her back !!! She said this can’t be rite now I use the psi indicator on the cluster at all times and my wife’s back feels a lot better !!
She rides smooth and clean !!!
From what I’ve read most of us got our trucks delivered from the dealership at that high of tire pressure 48 psi. Why will never know !!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I wasn't aware of the reason for the delivered PSI and I did ask my Dealership not to touch the car but mine too came dramatically overinflated. Now I know why.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Because as was posted earlier, they over-inflate the tires during shipping/storage to help prevent flat spots. It should have been taken care of with the "148 point pre-delivery inspection" LOL

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yes, I picked that up in this thread but didn't know it before hand.

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #66
Because as was posted earlier, they over-inflate the tires during shipping/storage to help prevent flat spots. It should have been taken care of with the "148 point pre-delivery inspection" LOL
Heck yeah !!

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #67
I’ll know better next time I get a new vehicle :)

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #68
I wasn't aware of the reason for the delivered PSI and I did ask my Dealership not to touch the car but mine too came dramatically overinflated. Now I know why.
It was really good brain storming with everyone on this thread all of us learned a lot here everyone’s input was useful to all of us :)

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ll know better next time I get a new vehicle :)
I've seen many posts in the past where the vehicle was delivered with the tires over inflated. Pre delivery check should have corrected but many did not. Mine included. Glad to hear your enjoying the ride once you lowered the PSI.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Thank you for reply. I was asking knowing the idiot Dale couldn't answer no one can 33 to 36 prob would be zero difference def not worth Pirelli or any tire makers time to find out.
Its not cold or hot enough here to see drastic changes in pressure. most of my cars are in garage but I only seen it raise 1lb today it was only a 14 min drive but I drove it hard on purpose to see if I could get it to change any more.

Her is a legit question just because you seem to know about tires. what will happen if you drive it at 50lbs? it might be harsher ride? tire might wear in the middle a little faster? if it wears faster what's a educated guess 2k miles faster to need new tires? what is the tire rated at 45K miles?
Big Turk eluded to it as well, you would just wear down the tires uneven and much faster than designed. You'd be surprised how quickly you can mess up tires with bad alignment/improper inflation, etc. Unless you're going to be towing or loading up the ST with stuff for an extended period of time you don't really need to adjust anything. Towing changes a lot of things so always suggest doing research for best practices depending on what you're hauling.

No mnf will cover tires against wear when you don't take care of them. Simply checking your tire pressure every now and then (quick button click on steering wheel) and making sure alignment is checked at least once a year (depending on how much driving you do). I have lifetime alignment on all vehicles so go twice a year unless I have suspension work done.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
There's nothing on the tire that contains valid information. The door placard is the source.
your late to the party and what if the tires are not stock? what if someone bought the St and tires were different but they didnt know. this is the only car in my life that I am not changing the wheels and tires. so yea the door isnt where I am looking.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Big Turk eluded to it as well, you would just wear down the tires uneven and much faster than designed. You'd be surprised how quickly you can mess up tires with bad alignment/improper inflation, etc. Unless you're going to be towing or loading up the ST with stuff for an extended period of time you don't really need to adjust anything. Towing changes a lot of things so always suggest doing research for best practices depending on what you're hauling.

No mnf will cover tires against wear when you don't take care of them. Simply checking your tire pressure every now and then (quick button click on steering wheel) and making sure alignment is checked at least once a year (depending on how much driving you do). I have lifetime alignment on all vehicles so go twice a year unless I have suspension work done.
look I know its not important but the reply "much faster" isn't a answer. that's very relevant much faster to you could mean way different to me. Id be willing to bet any amount of money you want there is no real difference between 33 and 36. Real meaning if tire life is 50K miles they wont be gone at 40K.
your also brining in alignment that's a whole different subject

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
your late to the party and what if the tires are not stock? what if someone bought the St and tires were different but they didnt know. this is the only car in my life that I am not changing the wheels and tires. so yea the door isnt where I am looking.
Assuming the replacement tires meet the OE specifications the door jamb is still the right info. If you start moving into the plus sizes beyond zero that becomes a different matter.

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #74
look I know its not important but the reply "much faster" isn't a answer. that's very relevant much faster to you could mean way different to me. Id be willing to bet any amount of money you want there is no real difference between 33 and 36. Real meaning if tire life is 50K miles they wont be gone at 40K.
I agree 100%

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #75
Rite now my preference is 36 psi my wife’s back is not in pain and she’s handling well and not bouncing like a basketball !!
What confused me 48 psi at delivery I drove it like that also, very happy to get everyone input on this issue.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Still the same pressure. Take a picture of your tire sidewall and tell us what it says about the various vehicles the tire will fit. Look closely, we'll wait.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Some dealers just keep them overinflated so that those who are unaware that the pressure will go down in the winter don't come running in saying there is something wrong with their vehicle when the tpms warning comes on. We know to add a little air, but many do not. Plus, they need the time to make other repairs, such as the cat converters, throttle bodies, seat trim, window switches, axle sensors, and the such.

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #78
Still the same pressure. Take a picture of your tire sidewall and tell us what it says about the various vehicles the tire will fit. Look closely, we'll wait.
I looked at my tires with a magnifying glass and the psi pressure is not listed anywhere on the tire. Rite now I feel comfortable at keeping my psi pressure at 36 rides like a dream now.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I looked at my tires with a magnifying glass and the psi pressure is not listed anywhere on the tire. Rite now I feel comfortable at keeping my psi pressure at 36 rides like a dream now.
I had looked at the website and it said 50lbs max. 36 is fine no matter what anyone says!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Assuming the replacement tires meet the OE specifications the door jamb is still the right info. If you start moving into the plus sizes beyond zero that becomes a different matter.
Your assuming a lot here and exactly why I say look at the tire

Status
Not open for further replies.