Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
What psi pressure is everyone keeping their tires at ??
When I got my 2022 explorer ST the tire pressure was 45 from the dealership !!
I’d love to know the door says 33 is that for a regular Explorer heck I don’t know !!

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Dealers miss this all the time. It should be 33 PSI. When in doubt, check the owners manual but trust the door sticker.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I do 38psi so warm its closer to 40psi
Look on your tire that's the best place to get info.
No offense to Dale but what if you bought used and they had swapped tires or what if the dealer swapped tires? dont look at the door or owners manual. Look at the actual tire on the car.

Reactions
No offense to Dale but what if you bought used and they had swapped tires or what if the dealer swapped tires? dont look at the door or owners manual. Look at the actual tire on the car.
The maximum on the tire is when the tire is fully loaded to the rating. Our vehicles under regular driving conditions do not fully load the tire. Agree that a different type/size of tire may require a different pressure, but if the tire matches the size on the tire/wheel decal, you should follow the recommended pressure of 33 cold. Towing or other extreme activities may require a higher or lower pressure. If you inflate your tires above the pressure you will likely wear down the center of your tire much quicker than the edges, prematurely ruining your $400 tires.

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I looked at the dang tire really good and I must be blind because I never seen where on the tire it says anything about psi !!
Take a picture I’m gonna go out and look again
I know dang well it takes more are because it’s a low profile tire and they don’t come on every Explorers !!!
Now that I talk to you I feel much better because I don’t want to wear out my tires from under inflating them they are very expensive tires !!!
My money didn’t grow on trees lol
Thank you young man if you can find it take a pic I’m going back out there with a magnifying glass yes sir !! :)

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
The maximum on the tire is when the tire is fully loaded to the rating. Our vehicles under regular driving conditions do not fully load the tire. Agree that a different type/size of tire may require a different pressure, but if the tire matches the size on the tire/wheel decal, you should follow the recommended pressure of 33 cold. Towing or other extreme activities may require a higher or lower pressure. If you inflate your tires above the pressure you will likely wear down the center of your tire much quicker than the edges, prematurely ruining your $400 tires.
I get that them tires are expensive I sure don’t want to wear out the outer edges of the tire like you said 400.00 bucks a pop that starts to get expensive for all of us !!!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
yes there is a min and a max on every tire I ever looked at other then we agree with that, whats your point? you can look at the door sticker all you want I will look at the tire and then put what I feel I should put between their ranges.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I looked at the dang tire really good and I must be blind because I never seen where on the tire it says anything about psi !!
Take a picture I’m gonna go out and look again
I know dang well it takes more are because it’s a low profile tire and they don’t come on every Explorers !!!
Now that I talk to you I feel much better because I don’t want to wear out my tires from under inflating them they are very expensive tires !!!
My money didn’t grow on trees lol
Thank you young man if you can find it take a pic I’m going back out there with a magnifying glass yes sir !! :)
I will look in about an hour and take picture. If you cant find it you can always look it up on the tires website I have Perellis not sure if the St has different tires?

Reactions
I
yes there is a min and a max on every tire I ever looked at other then we agree with that, whats your point? you can look at the door sticker all you want I will look at the tire and then put what I feel I should put between their ranges.
I have never seen a minimum tire pressure on the sidewall of a tire. They usually have a maximum pressure at a maximum load.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I will look in about an hour and take picture. If you cant find it you can always look it up on the tires website I have Perellis not sure if the St has different tires?
I looked online and found its 50 PSI MAX assuming the tire is 275/45/21 Pirelli Scorpion all season. So I am quite comfortable with my 38lbs cold - 40lbs hot.
I will assume 33lbs cold = 35lbs hot. seems a bit low to me but no idea if that will cause uneven wear?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
The information we are getting from the door jam sticker is confusing !!!

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The information we are getting from the door jam sticker is confusing !!!
Not really. It says 33 PSI. Pretty simple to me. Your getting some poor information on it. See my post #11 and read that article. It might help.

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
I looked online and found its 50 PSI MAX assuming the tire is 275/45/21 Pirelli Scorpion all season. So I am quite comfortable with my 38lbs cold - 40lbs hot.
I will assume 33lbs cold = 35lbs hot. seems a bit low to me but no idea if that will cause uneven wear?
I totally agree with you Rocket the door jam sticker is for the regular Explorers !!
Now the Explorer ST 21 inch wheels scorpion low profile tires is an all together deferent animal !! If you know what I mean :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Ford does not put generic tire labels on their vehicles. Each label shows the specific size tire the pressure rating is for. 20220712_174603.jpg

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
Well now that’s a game changer for sure !!
Why is it we get so much air in our tires upon delivery ??
Will never know !!!
I’ll will change that rite away !

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #17
Thank you young man :)

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well now that’s a game changer for sure !!
Why is it we get so much air in our tires upon delivery ??
Will never know !!!
I’ll will change that rite away !
Look at post # 2 Tires are overinflated when built to prevent flat spots.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I totally agree with you Rocket the door jam sticker is for the regular Explorers !!
Now the Explorer ST 21 inch wheels scorpion low profile tires is an all together deferent animal !! If you know what I mean :)
I don’t know never looked at the sticker? I prefer to look at the tire and put it where I feel is best. To me 40 hot is best.
The manufacturer also recommends to not tune your car get oil change every 3k miles and Bla Bla Bla really don’t know how many miles but again I refer to the oil I use not what a sticker says. This is just me everyone can do as they please of coarse.

OP
Slick
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #20
I did the same as you I took them down from 46 psi to 36 psi they look low but I bet she’ll ride a lot softer here on out !!
Can’t wait to drive her tomorrow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.