Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

The "Space GhoST" has lost its powers....

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well first off I hope Ford takes care of you. Second it would seem odd if a new battery failed after only a week. Did your dealer give you a repair order showing a new battery being installed after the first repair? If so that may help your case with Ford. Good luck.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Definitely reach out to ford. I would not let this go. But I’ve heard multiple stories about them reimbursing rental fees.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Yes, call Ford Customer Service and they will at least cover some of your rental car expense. They even called my dealer and requested that they provide me with a loaner. Dealers are reimbursed by Ford for loaners, just like any other Ford covered warranty repairs.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Battery location and removal is not the best on these vehicles. Our ST went dead overnight, showing only 3 volts. I yanked the battery and took it to the dealership. After a quick charge they told me the battery was OK. Never found out the root cause. My mom’s 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix’s battery was located under the back seat! Strange place for a battery!

Reactions
Well, I can pick up the ST tomorrow. After 10 days, they say there isn't a current draw after all, it was a bad battery. Of course they supposedly replaced the battery under warranty the first time. Why do I get the feeling they simply charged my old battery up, to get me out of the shop the first time? I wonder what the odds are of them putting in a new battery that worked flawlessly for a week, and then failed. Oh well, it only cost me $700 bucks in rental fees. I'll try to see if Ford Customer care will cover it.
I would for sure be making a call to Ford Customer Care, they should do something for you.

Reactions
After living with weak battery problems for a year and reading about others experiencing weak or bad batteries, I have decided to find a battery tender to keep my new battery strong. My original battery almost lasted 3 years, but showed weak battery anomalies for about a year before Ford replaced it to resolve my issues caused by a weak battery. I'm looking for ideas for installing an easy quick connect to a battery tender while my ST sits in the garage.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
After living with weak battery problems for a year and reading about others experiencing weak or bad batteries, I have decided to find a battery tender to keep my new battery strong. My original battery almost lasted 3 years, but showed weak battery anomalies for about a year before Ford replaced it to resolve my issues caused by a weak battery. I'm looking for ideas for installing an easy quick connect to a battery tender while my ST sits in the garage.
I've been thinking about doing that also. So any good ideas are welcome.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
A battery tender under hood is standard in cold climates like the NWT. Similar to Alaska. Combined with a block, or oil pan heater, there are no problems in winter. Today it's -32C and if the car was not plugged in overnight I would only be reducing the life of the battery.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve been thinking about hooking mine up to one for a night to try and get it back up to full charge. Mine has been sitting around 12.4/12.5. Auto start stop still doesn’t run. Otherwise no issues. I decreased the recording frequency of my dash cam when parked. So I’m wondering if a good charge will get me back to where I need to be. My driving habits are consist of no highway and short trips daily. 15 min to work and back. That’s it. Not sure if that’s enough to fully get the car charged.

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #50
I’ve been thinking about hooking mine up to one for a night to try and get it back up to full charge. Mine has been sitting around 12.4/12.5. Auto start stop still doesn’t run. Otherwise no issues. I decreased the recording frequency of my dash cam when parked. So I’m wondering if a good charge will get me back to where I need to be. My driving habits are consist of no highway and short trips daily. 15 min to work and back. That’s it. Not sure if that’s enough to fully get the car charged.
Knowing what I now know, I'd encourage you to do something to bring the charge up to spec. My driving is similar to yours, and although everything was fine for 2 1/2 years, as you can read from my posts, once that battery actually kicks it, bad things can happen.

Another thing I neglected to mention but that I've seen posted...my service rep told me "it wouldn't have done me any good to buy a battery on my own since it would have had to have been reprogrammed". This doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, perhaps I might have lost certain settings, but any techs on here who can speak to this?

Reactions
Wait so I can't replace my battery? I have to take it to Ford for that?

Reactions
Knowing what I now know, I'd encourage you to do something to bring the charge up to spec. My driving is similar to yours, and although everything was fine for 2 1/2 years, as you can read from my posts, once that battery actually kicks it, bad things can happen.

Another thing I neglected to mention but that I've seen posted...my service rep told me "it wouldn't have done me any good to buy a battery on my own since it would have had to have been reprogrammed". This doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, perhaps I might have lost certain settings, but any techs on here who can speak to this?
There is a protocol with an IDS tool to reset the battery management system when you replace a battery. It sets the correct state of charge and life of the battery. Not sure if you can do it with Forscan though.

If you were to replace the battery on your own and leave the car parked for 8 hours with the door locked, it will reset the State of Charge on its own, however the battery life will remain unchanged.

If you are charging using a tickle charger, it is best to make sure the connections are “up stream” of the amp sensor (usually within inches of the battery connection and inline with the positive or negative batter cable). This way the car will take into account the new state of charge as the battery charges. If you don’t, you’ll still likely get any low battery messages like “turning of system to save battery”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions

thanks for the insight. Anything special to do when using a battery tender? My dad has one so was just going to borrow his. Just hook it up to the positive/negative terminals and let it sit overnight?

There is a protocol with an IDS tool to reset the battery management system when you replace a battery. It sets the correct state of charge and life of the battery. Not sure if you can do it with Forscan though.

If you were to replace the battery on your own and leave the car parked for 8 hours with the door locked, it will reset the State of Charge on its own, however the battery life will remain unchanged.

If you are charging using a tickle charger, it is best to make sure the connections are “up stream” of the amp sensor (usually within inches of the battery connection and inline with the positive or negative batter cable). This way the car will take into account the new state of charge as the battery charges. If you don’t, you’ll still likely get any low battery messages like “turning of system to save battery”.

So when you switch to a new battery, the system resets as needed by sitting overnight? I can't image there NEEDS to be some programming done by a ford technician.

Reactions
thanks for the insight. Anything special to do when using a battery tender? My dad has one so was just going to borrow his. Just hook it up to the positive/negative terminals and let it sit overnight?

So when you switch to a new battery, the system resets as needed by sitting overnight? I can't image there NEEDS to be some programming done by a ford technician.
To reset the battery life which is used in the charging algorithm, you do need a tool to reset it as far as I know. I use my Solus Ultra Snap-On tool to do it. I’ve never poked around with Forscan to see if it can do it.

The state of charge will reset after sitting though.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
To reset the battery life which is used in the charging algorithm, you do need a tool to reset it as far as I know. I use my Solus Ultra Snap-On tool to do it. I’ve never poked around with Forscan to see if it can do it.

The state of charge will reset after sitting though.

What do you mean "reset the battery life". Before my ST, even my last explorer(2017), I needed a battery once in that car when all the electronics completely shut down on me. Replaced it and was good as new. Never had to reset anything. I guess I am trying prepare for my ST battery does go and if additional steps will be needed. Just seems crazy. Your average person(kinda like me lol) is just gonna go to their local auto store and say give me a battery.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
From the owner manual:

Battery Sensor Reset
When you install a new battery, reset the
battery sensor by doing the following:
1. Switch the ignition on, and leave the
engine off.
Note: Complete Steps 2 and 3 within 10
seconds.
2. Flash the high beam headlamps five
times, ending with the high beams off.
3. Press and release the brake pedal three
times.
The battery warning lamp flashes three
times to confirm that the reset is
successful.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
From the owner manual:

Battery Sensor Reset
engine off.
seconds.
times.
successful.
Much appreciated it! I’m still guessing at least 95% of owners will never do this nor will they ever know about it.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Much appreciated it! I’m still guessing at least 95% of owners will never do this nor will they ever know about it.
Maybe @UNBROKEN will chime in on this. Pretty sure he installed an Optima in his Explorer. I would be interested in how he dealt with it.

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #59
You mean 99.9%

I read the owner's manual at one time (3 years ago) and somehow missed (more likely forgot) that part!

Reactions
From the owner manual:

Battery Sensor Reset
engine off.
seconds.
times.
successful.
Awesome! Glad there is a workaround that anyone can do. It’s a pretty silly requirement IMO to have to do anything at all when you replace the battery.