Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

The "Space GhoST" has lost its powers....

Reactions
What do you mean "reset the battery life". Before my ST, even my last explorer(2017), I needed a battery once in that car when all the electronics completely shut down on me. Replaced it and was good as new. Never had to reset anything. I guess I am trying prepare for my ST battery does go and if additional steps will be needed. Just seems crazy. Your average person(kinda like me lol) is just gonna go to their local auto store and say give me a battery.
Here is a way better explanation and shows the “Batt Days” or age of the battery which I’m referring to as the life of the battery. It’s used as an input to determine how the BMS charged the battery.

I don’t think it’s the end of the world if you don’t do the reset, probably just doesn’t charge “optimally” and could shorten battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I find this 'Battery Target State of Charge %' setting in Forscan. 80% seems low (default setting), I changed it to 85% just for the heck of it.

Attachments

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I find this 'Battery Target State of Charge %' setting in Forscan. 80% seems low (default setting), I changed it to 85% just for the heck of it.
Have you noticed any change since you did this?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not so far. I changed it last week after I was reading a stock calibration that took like 20 mins and the car went into some 'powersave' mode. So when I used forscan to add the yellow turns as DRLs, I was looking around and saw this setting and changed it. When I get the tune, if it takes some time to load, maybe I'll see. I thought if that really limits recharge to 80%, it seems kinda low to me.

Reactions
Not so far. I changed it last week after I was reading a stock calibration that took like 20 mins and the car went into some 'powersave' mode. So when I used forscan to add the yellow turns as DRLs, I was looking around and saw this setting and changed it. When I get the tune, if it takes some time to load, maybe I'll see. I thought if that really limits recharge to 80%, it seems kinda low to me.
It shouldn't be limiting charging to 80%, that should be telling you how much of a charge the battery actually has. If you let the car sit overnight, it will probably reset to 80%.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What battery tender/maintainer are you guys using? Was watching a video on YouTube
and now I’m definitely convinced I need to get my battery charged up. By running at below 100%, sulfonization is what happens and ruins the battery. News to me at least lol but it makes.
Also, seems like 2amp is the recommended type? Thanks.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What battery tender/maintainer are you guys using? Was watching a video on YouTube
and now I’m definitely convinced I need to get my battery charged up. By running at below 100%, sulfonization is what happens and ruins the battery. News to me at least lol but it makes.
Also, seems like 2amp is the recommended type? Thanks.
I use the BatteryMinder 2012. Works great for me. My last vehile it extended the battery lifr for about 10 years after i would not hold a charge.It won't work for a quick charge or jump start but I have other options for that. https://www.batteryminders.com/2012-12-volt-desulfating-battery-charger-worldwide-use

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I use the BatteryMinder 2012. Works great for me. My last vehile it extended the battery lifr for about 10 years after i would not hold a charge.It won't work for a quick charge or jump start but I have other options for that. https://www.batteryminders.com/2012-12-volt-desulfating-battery-charger-worldwide-use
Thanks.
I was thinking of picking this guy at Home Depot. Nothing advance but seems to be a smart one at least

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...ttery-Charger-and-Maintainer-DXAEC2/316426768

Reactions
Look at the NOCO 2D.

Great little maintenance charger. I have one for both the car and the truck.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Look at the NOCO 2D.

Great little maintenance charger. I have one for both the car and the truck.

Yeah that does look nice. Might look at the regular version with just the alligator clamps. I don’t expect to use it all the time if this works.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It shouldn't be limiting charging to 80%, that should be telling you how much of a charge the battery actually has. If you let the car sit overnight, it will probably reset to 80%.
I don't know. If what you are saying is accurate then the name of the setting in Forscan is misleading, it should say 'Battery Current State of Charge %' to be accurate, not 'Battery Target State of Charge %'.

Reactions
I don't know. If what you are saying is accurate then the name of the setting in Forscan is misleading, it should say 'Battery Current State of Charge %' to be accurate, not 'Battery Target State of Charge %'.
You’re absolutely right. I missed “target” in your comment. My apologies.

I’m used to seeing “SOC” or State of Charge and got hung up on that.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
After using my new battery tender all night, I went up from 12.4 to 12.8. No start stop in my 15 min of driving this morning but it was cold out. We shall see. At least it’s up to full charge now and hopefully it remains full.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sorry all, hate to bring this up again. But after using a battery tender and bringing my voltage up, should I do the BSM for that? Or is that only when a new battery is inserted.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
From the owner manual:

Battery Sensor Reset
When you install a new battery, reset the
battery sensor by doing the following:
1. Switch the ignition on, and leave the
engine off.
Note: Complete Steps 2 and 3 within 10
seconds.
2. Flash the high beam headlamps five
times, ending with the high beams off.
3. Press and release the brake pedal three
times.
The battery warning lamp flashes three
times to confirm that the reset is
successful.
How do you switch the ignition on but leave the engine off?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Sorry all, hate to bring this up again. But after using a battery tender and bringing my voltage up, should I do the BSM for that? Or is that only when a new battery is inserted.
I don't think so since that would tell the car your battery is zero days old. Part of the management is knowing how old the battery is.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Maybe @UNBROKEN will chime in on this. Pretty sure he installed an Optima in his Explorer. I would be interested in how he dealt with it.
I use an XS Power D4800…and I didn’t do anything but swap it. I’ve also had the battery completely unhooked numerous times throughout the audio install. Never did anything extra and have had exactly zero issues.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well a week later, no start stop which is fine, but voltage back down to 12.53. From 12.8. So basically it’s just still dropping. I don’t drive much but my wife’s cx5 doesn’t have this issue. Granted her car isn’t as technically robust as mine but still has same driving patterns if not less.

Not sure if it’s worth letting it sit more than a night on the tender. I just did one night last time. 2amp tender. Or just next time I need an oil change, make an appt to have them look at the battery. I haven’t had any technical issues just purely my own testing and determining that the battery has been previously hanging around 12.4v and dropping close to that again.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well a week later, no start stop which is fine, but voltage back down to 12.53. From 12.8. So basically it’s just still dropping. I don’t drive much but my wife’s cx5 doesn’t have this issue. Granted her car isn’t as technically robust as mine but still has same driving patterns if not less.

Not sure if it’s worth letting it sit more than a night on the tender. I just did one night last time. 2amp tender. Or just next time I need an oil change, make an appt to have them look at the battery. I haven’t had any technical issues just purely my own testing and determining that the battery has been previously hanging around 12.4v and dropping close to that again.
Since I've been using my BatteryMinder once a week or so the ASS has been working every time it gets up to temp. That tells me it has helped as It had been months with the ASS not kicking in. I don't mind the feature and if I want the Explorer to be running as the light turns green I just let up on the brake pedal and it starts right up.