Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync 3.4 Update (Build 21020) Now Available on the Owner Site

Reactions
Maybe im in the minority, but I think ive used the original navigation maybe once, same with travelink. Just to try the full screen. Always use Android Auto for everything else, voice commands on Sync 3 are a huge miss, hardly a hit and very slow. Which is something I use everyday for texting and for calls.

IMO, the only thing Sync has over AA is the full screen maps.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Maybe im in the minority, but I think ive used the original navigation maybe once, same with travelink. Just to try the full screen. Always use Android Auto for everything else, voice commands on Sync 3 are a huge miss, hardly a hit and very slow. Which is something I use everyday for texting and for calls.

IMO, the only thing Sync has over AA is the full screen maps.
I agree SYNC3 is a poorly executed system but mapping is optimized for the 10 " screen, hopefully there will be a migration path for 2020/21 owners to bump up to SYNC4. I had a 2021 F150 XL work truck a few weeks back and it was running SYNC4 on the older small 8" screen. Didn't really seem that much different or improved from SYNC3 to be honest.

Reactions
I agree SYNC3 is a poorly executed system but mapping is optimized for the 10 " screen, hopefully there will be a migration path for 2020/21 owners to bump up to SYNC4. I had a 2021 F150 XL work truck a few weeks back and it was running SYNC4 on the older small 8" screen. Didn't really seem that much different or improved from SYNC3 to be honest.
I'm fairly certain that SYNC4 would require new hardware be installed in the Explorer in order to support it. So doubt we will see an upgrade path for our SYNC3 system.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I'm fairly certain that SYNC4 would require new hardware be installed in the Explorer in order to support it. So doubt we will see an upgrade path for our SYNC3 system.
Its just the APIM, that can be swapped without much effort. I bet its doable.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone installed build 21194 yet?......available on Cynlabs not Ford Owners yet.

Just wondering if it's the fix for SiriusXM issues
Installed 21194 over the weekend. so far, it seems to have resolved travelink service disconnect. It also may have solved an intermittent backup camera outage, we shall see. it also seems a little more responsive overall. (y)

mdallas

Reactions
21194 is working well for me also!

OP
minuteman3

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #128
With my "old" 20282 USB stick in hand in case I need to downgrade back, I decided to put on my pirate hat and give 21194 a try. So far, so good. Have only had about 4-5 key starts but in every case TL is up and running in a minute or so and overall things seem far smoother than previous versions. I had escaped some of the other issues mentioned such as backup camera issues and phone echos in the past, but they seem to be working OK as well. In fact, I haven't really seen anything yet that's not as expected, and I'd swear it's a little smoother/faster overall.

Hopeful, I am.

Ken

mdallas

Reactions
With my "old" 20282 USB stick in hand in case I need to downgrade back, I decided to put on my pirate hat and give 21194 a try. So far, so good. Have only had about 4-5 key starts but in every case TL is up and running in a minute or so and overall things seem far smoother than previous versions. I had escaped some of the other issues mentioned such as backup camera issues and phone echos in the past, but they seem to be working OK as well. In fact, I haven't really seen anything yet that's not as expected, and I'd swear it's a little smoother/faster overall.

Hopeful, I am.

Ken
Same for me. I kept going back to 20282. 21194 so far fixes my issues.

OP
minuteman3

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #131
I was thinking yesterday, how much I wish Ford had been more like a "software" company for this issue. For example, I bought one of the new standalone Mac keyboards with Touch ID to pair with my M1 MacBook Air. (I run it in the clamshell mode connected to an external display.) My security app, 1Password, uses Touch ID, but kept saying it wasn't available with the lid closed. I reported that glitch to their tech support, and got a response in a couple of hours. Said they were aware and working on it. Next day, I get an email asking if I'd be willing to test a version with a fix ... sure, I'll give it a try! Issue was solved and I reported that fact back to Tech Support. Done. Problem solved. Expect a final version out to everyone in a few days.

Too bad it takes Ford and their myriad levels and contractors several months to do the sort of the same thing!!

Ken

Reactions
Just did 21194 from cyanlabs. Took a few minutes but the XM data started loading. Once things settled down, I restarted the car again and traffic loaded right away. Couple more key cycles and it was still good to go. We'll see if it lasts but its already better than 21020.

Reactions
So far 21194 is still holding. It takes 3-5 minutes every start to load the traffic on the map. No other issues developed. Cameras work, no blinking screen. No one complained of echo while on the phone.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
So far 21194 is still holding. It takes 3-5 minutes every start to load the traffic on the map. No other issues developed. Cameras work, no blinking screen. No one complained of echo while on the phone.
Is that only available from Cyanlabs, nothing official yet?

Reactions
use Syn3Updater and a USB stick..... very easy!
wow that worked well.

but I was on 2018 map and included the 2020 map with the update. It took 1.5 hours to complete!!!

is there any way to do this without needing to leave the car running all that time? It’s so annoying and definitely not good to idle that long.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
wow that worked well.

but I was on 2018 map and included the 2020 map with the update. It took 1.5 hours to complete!!!

is there any way to do this without needing to leave the car running all that time? It’s so annoying and definitely not good to idle that long.
You can just turn the radio on and do it. You may need to turn it back on a few times because it will time out. It will just pick back up where it left off.

Reactions
Is there a way to use sync3updater on a mac?

Just tried downloading it and seems to be Windows only.

mdallas

Reactions
wow that worked well.

Wow, long time. but I never had to update the maps. you can also do while driving.

I noticed that 21194 was "laggy" for a few days.... now very speedy.