Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Stock speaker replacement help

rhite95

Reactions
Do you think it would help to replace the 3 1/2's mid's also?

This is what I have got so far.

Focal IS Ford 690
Focal IC Ford 165

Last edited:

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Do you think it would help to replace the 3 1/2's also?

This is what I have got so far.

Focal IS Ford 690
Focal IC Ford 165
I have been thinking about replacing the speakers in our ST. What do you think about the sound difference now that you have the Focals installed?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I installed the Focal Speaker.

What is the 3 1/2's ?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

What is the 3 1/2's ?
How do you like them? Noticeable difference?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Anyone considering replacing the speakers should spend some time and do some quality sound treatments first. You will likely be amazed at the difference in quality once you eliminate all the buzzes and rattles.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Anyone considering replacing the speakers should spend some time and do some quality sound treatments first. You will likely be amazed at the difference in quality once you eliminate all the buzzes and rattles.
Funny that you mention that as I was just looking up sound deadening. You had mentioned ResoNix before.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Sound treatments are kinda like the building block for everything else. Without a quality install you can’t have good audio and the install starts with treatments. I did my whole car long before I started the audio and it made a massive difference.

OP
rhite95

rhite95

Reactions
Thread Starter #8

What is the 3 1/2's ?
They are the mid range speakers in the front doors

I should have put that in the post.

Last edited:
OP
rhite95

rhite95

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I have been thinking about replacing the speakers in our ST. What do you think about the sound difference now that you have the Focals installed?
I have not installed them yet. I just want to install it all at the same time.

OP
rhite95

rhite95

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I am going to have that done also.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I am going to have that done also.
Gonna be honest here…having it done and it getting done right are largely 2 different things. Shops will slap in some CLD and say it’s treated…that’s just a small part of it. CCF, butyl rope, Tesa tape, Thinsulate, etc are all part of the puzzle to do it right. I have a log here just on deadening I think and there’s a good read on the Resonix website. Learn what all the products do and don’t do so you can be specific with a shop if you’re having someone else do the work.

OP
rhite95

rhite95

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Gonna be honest here…having it done and it getting done right are largely 2 different things. Shops will slap in some CLD and say it’s treated…that’s just a small part of it. CCF, butyl rope, Tesa tape, Thinsulate, etc are all part of the puzzle to do it right. I have a log here just on deadening I think and there’s a good read on the Resonix website. Learn what all the products do and don’t do so you can be specific with a shop if you’re having someone else do the work.
I get where you are coming from.

I just want it to sound better than it does now, I just wanted to know if it would be beneficial to replace the mid's . Thanks for taking the time to read my post !!

Last edited:
Reactions
Resonix's site is a good resource. I really don't care for the guy, and refuse to use his products, but the site does have good information.

Also, better hi-res source material makes a huge difference. I don't listen to XM, or anything through bluetooth. Hi-res material through a USB cord sounds considerably better.