Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda rear sway/HR springs fitment

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I took off the Steeda sway bar and compared it to my stock one. The stock one is almost an over an

inch wider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder if it's possible that some of their sway bars production are narrower than intended. Maybe the tab. positions are even different. Yours seem to fit much tighter than mine--as if there is no possible way it wouldn't rub. Mine don't rub and I have 5-10 mm gap on each side. I wish I took a picture of my Steeda RSB with my stock bar but I did line them up when I got it and thought they were more or less the same--yours are noticeably narrower. When did you order yours? It seems like they sold out the initial stock and then must have made more. Mine was one of the first.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I wonder if it's possible that some of their sway bars production are narrower than intended. Maybe the tab. positions are even different. Yours seem to fit much tighter than mine--as if there is no possible way it wouldn't rub. Mine don't rub and I have 5-10 mm gap on each side. I wish I took a picture of my Steeda RSB with my stock bar but I did line them up when I got it and thought they were more or less the same--yours are noticeably narrower. When did you order yours? It seems like they sold out the initial stock and then must have made more. Mine was one of the first.
Yes this is very odd. Maybe they sold me a 2019 version? Not even close to stock. I had hardly any play from side to side. I’m waiting to hear back from them but they still want measurements.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
2019 has a notch in the bar--couldn't be mistaken for a 2020. I'd be curious what your measurements are. Maybe the bar itself is more or less the same and only the angled ends make it much narrower? Hard to tell from your pic. I might cut off the ends when I go to put on winter rims--if only for piece of mind so I don't have to keep looking. :)

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
2019 has a notch in the bar--couldn't be mistaken for a 2020. I'd be curious what your measurements are. Maybe the bar itself is more or less the same and only the angled ends make it much narrower? Hard to tell from your pic. I might cut off the ends when I go to put on winter rims--if only for piece of mind so I don't have to keep looking. :)
Yea same here. I get it centered, barely, then take a tight corner and it shift just a tiny bit and starts hitting. Frustrating.

Reactions
Our installation team has reviewed the fitment & there are no fitment issues that they are aware of ... the instructions have been updated to reflect the following:

Last edited:
Reactions
Just a reminder, you don’t manufacture them but you market H&R springs for a 2020 explorer with no mention of possible problems. Just saying.
Yes, we market H & R Springs as well as many other manufacturers that are in our portfolio. When we install & test our Steeda parts - we do so on our Steeda test vehicles - generally starting with stock & then with the Steeda configuration.

We don't always have the ability to install & test on all the different configurations in the marketplace.

Best Regards,

TJ

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Our installation team has reviewed the fitment & there are no fitment issues that they are aware of ... the instructions have been updated to reflect the following:

considering there are actual pictures from multiple owners with fitment issues.... that seems like an awfully unsatisfying and tone deaf response.... You aren’t making many future customers on here TJ...

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Yes, we market H & R Springs as well as many other manufacturers that are in our portfolio. When we install & test our Steeda parts - we do so on our Steeda test vehicles - generally starting with stock & then with the Steeda configuration.

We don't always have the ability to install & test on all the different configurations in the marketplace.

Best Regards,

TJ
Hi TJ, I haven’t spoken to you yet but I have been working with Brian. I sent him all the pics and measurements last week but haven’t received a response yet. I have tried four different times to get this to work but still no luck. This isn’t rocket science either. I have the stock springs but not sure if that should really even matter. The width of aftermarket springs compared to stock springs is negligible. When I install the bar and get it center, using a credit card to verify the ends aren’t hitting the springs, I still can’t adjust the center brackets to be flush against the bar flanges. It moves as soon as I take a corner then starts hitting again. No idea where the disconnect is here or why we can’t get this resolved but I’m not happy with this thing and refuse to cut the ends off to make it fit. Either way the flanges won’t be flush either allowing it to move laterally. I just want a refund and have put my old bar back on. This is a simple fix. No reason the ends have to flare in so much. Just change the angle of the ends and move them out. However there is still an issue with the flanges and this thing is about 1.5 inches narrower than the stock bar. See attached. I hope this can be resolved.

Reactions
Our R & D dept. is re-evaluating the information and looking at the dimensions. I have personally spoken to our head of Manufacturing about reassessing the product.

We are currently discussing in our product call this morning.

TJ

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Wow. That comes up well short. I'll try to see if I can compare my Steeda bar to the stock. Hopefully can be done with the Steeda on the car. At least then you'll know if it's a sample defect.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Wow. That comes up well short. I'll try to see if I can compare my Steeda bar to the stock. Hopefully can be done with the Steeda on the car. At least then you'll know if it's a sample defect.
Sounds good. Thank you.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Our R & D dept. is re-evaluating the information and looking at the dimensions. I have personally spoken to our head of Manufacturing about reassessing the product.

We are currently discussing in our product call this morning.

TJ
I appreciate it. Thanks.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
There is for sure an issue either in design or manufacturing tolerances as witnessed by multiple people here doing Steeda’s homework for them.
I’m glad Steeda is taking a second look because that first response is severely lacking. Considering some of ours fit without hitting even though they’re close and others do hit...I’m leaning towards manufacturing tolerances.

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
For those interested, here is some pics of clearance with the Steeda springs. As you can see there is loads of room. No contact. I was in the first batch of bars as well, fyi.

IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG

OP
sleekone
Reactions
Thread Starter #35
For those interested, here is some pics of clearance with the Steeda springs. As you can see there is loads of room. No contact. I was in the first batch of bars as well, fyi.

View attachment 1996
View attachment 1997
what happens if you switch to the firmest setting hole? seems like that's where most of us are seeing the fitment issues...at least that's where i am..

OP
sleekone
Reactions
Thread Starter #36

maybe show your team this post and make them aware...?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
what happens if you switch to the firmest setting hole? seems like that's where most of us are seeing the fitment issues...at least that's where i am..
I have always had mine on the firmest setting. No issues. I am wondering if people with issues had the second batch of manufacturing.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
i only ran it in the firmest setting for a couple of hours while i was testing. but during that time i was pushing HARD, trying to get the truck to oversteer. when i crawled under to swap back to the middle hole, i didn't notice any nicks or scratches on the springs or the tip of the bar.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
i only ran it in the firmest setting for a couple of hours while i was testing. but during that time i was pushing HARD, trying to get the truck to oversteer. when i crawled under to swap back to the middle hole, i didn't notice any nicks or scratches on the springs or the tip of the bar.
I don’t think the steering used will make a difference. The end of the sway bar is hitting and not the bolt. The bolt position is the only change when choosing which setting.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I don’t think the steering used will make a difference. The end of the sway bar is hitting and not the bolt. The bolt position is the only change when choosing which setting.

yup. the pics are deceiving, but the bolt is nowhere near the spring in any position.