Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST: 6 Faults at same time - OUCH!

Reactions
Are they 3rd party?
They are a Ford dealer that sells extended warranties below the cost of other dealerships and they are based in Rhode Island: https://www.floodford.net/

The users at the Explorer Forum have nothing but good things to say about them. Try a quote and compare it to your local dealership‘s extended warranty prices.

Last edited:
OP
E

ethics05

Reactions
Thread Starter #42
That's great advice on securing an Extended Warranty through Ford. Don't have one yet, but will take your advice.

OP
E

ethics05

Reactions
Thread Starter #43
I just tried the Extended Service Plan online at Flood Ford. Here is the message I received. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this outside of FL:

"We are sorry but due to Florida law, Florida Residents are not eligible for online service contracts. Please contact your local dealer."

KegsBdry

Reactions
They are a Ford dealer that sells extended warranties below the cost of other dealerships and they are based in Rhode Island: https://www.floodford.net/

The users at the Explorer Forum have nothing but good things to say about them. Try a quote and compare it to your local dealership‘s extended warranty prices.
I'll look up their premium extended warranty (same I got on my last Ford). Thanks for the good advice!

Reactions
I just tried the Extended Service Plan online at Flood Ford. Here is the message I received. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this outside of FL:

"We are sorry but due to Florida law, Florida Residents are not eligible for online service contracts. Please contact your local dealer."
There's a sticky somewhere where Joel sells extended warranty and it is also noted that he cannot sell to Florida resident. So seems consistent that you got this message. Hopefully you can find a FL dealership that is cheap.

That being said, I purchased mines through Flood Ford and it was the cheapest. Easy as well.

Judsy1

Reactions
4347 miles while regular easy driving in Sport Mode the following faults appeared on the display:
- 4WD Fault Service Required
- Hill Start Assist Not available
- Pre-Collision Assist Not available
- Service AdvanceTrak
- Drive Modes Not Available
- Auto Hold System Fault

The car defaulted to what appeared in the display to be a "normal" drive mode. I did initially pull over after a few minutes, turn off the car, sit there for a few minutes and then restart. All failures came back on the screen within 10 seconds so at least the problem is very solid and should be easy to troubleshoot.

Up to this point at 4347 miles I have had no issues at all. I have the black on black, Premium Technology Package, Twin moonroof and ST High Perf Pack. Also installed a JLT oil catch can. Really love the car.

It'll go to dealership early next week after Easter. My expectation is that some portion of the computer that is a gateway to these functions failed (but don't know of course).

I'll write back so you all know what the repair was.
6200 on mine and I got the same lights. It was a half shift speed sensor on the rear axle.

Reactions

We are having similar issues with our 2020 ST
Was purchased 12/31/2019
Had no issues until recently
3700+ miles on it now
About 1 week ago the same issues you experienced started
Dealer says the wheel speed sensor will be replaced (parts ordered)
Also software updates
Hope this corrects the issues
Is your ST ok now?

rpc1220

Reactions
Getting all the SYSTEM FAULTS that many have indicated above. It does happen when accelerating around a curve but also happened to me after about 10 miles of cross crountry driving and then a mile or two on the interstate at 72 mph then 5 system faults. Of course one of them is Cruise control. So I stopped let car sit or 5 minutes - restarted and same thing almost immediately. Drove the 45 miles on interstate with neuropthy in my right foot with cruise - went inside to Dr for 30-35 minutes - everything good - no faults. Went 2 miles to a restaurant and all good. Came out of restaurant - started car all good - got in the interstate and 5 miles later all the faults reappeared so I drove all the way with no cruise. Ford has updated software 2 weeks ago - still have the same issues. This is the 2nd update to software. Of course they can't find the codes when I take it in later so thanks for letting us know to take it there running when the faults occur. That will be my next step. As far as the car buyback do you have to replace it with the same model FORD?

rpc1220

Reactions
I did at least take pictures of the 5 faults so I will run it by Ford tomorrow

Reactions
Getting all the SYSTEM FAULTS that many have indicated above. It does happen when accelerating around a curve but also happened to me after about 10 miles of cross crountry driving and then a mile or two on the interstate at 72 mph then 5 system faults. Of course one of them is Cruise control. So I stopped let car sit or 5 minutes - restarted and same thing almost immediately. Drove the 45 miles on interstate with neuropthy in my right foot with cruise - went inside to Dr for 30-35 minutes - everything good - no faults. Went 2 miles to a restaurant and all good. Came out of restaurant - started car all good - got in the interstate and 5 miles later all the faults reappeared so I drove all the way with no cruise. Ford has updated software 2 weeks ago - still have the same issues. This is the 2nd update to software. Of course they can't find the codes when I take it in later so thanks for letting us know to take it there running when the faults occur. That will be my next step. As far as the car buyback do you have to replace it with the same model FORD?
You are not required to buy any Ford as part of your buyback agreement. Some brave folks have opted for another ST, while we chose to go with a used 2018 Explorer Platinum.

fr1j0l3s

Reactions
I did at least take pictures of the 5 faults so I will run it by Ford tomorrow
Any update on this one?

Wife's ST just did the same 6-faults at once thing, it's @ the dealership now.

Reactions
Bears
Any update on this one?

Wife's ST just did the same 6-faults at once thing, it's @ the dealership now.
search under member wayanbros.. He has some good info that may apply. Did in my case, dealer was able to correct and all good fo the last 4K miles

fr1j0l3s

Reactions

fr1j0l3s

Reactions
Update.
Dealership:

pulled codes c00a6,c0633
found tsb 20-2071
speed sensor replaced
topped off fluid
cleared codes and reprogrammed awd module pre ssm 49045

ST drove nice on the way home, will update this thread in a couple Ks.

hbalek

Reactions
This happened to me today after going through a car wash and driving home. I restarted once and had the faults again then after a second restart it never happened again. I drove about 30 miles and restarted about 3 or 4 more times after stops. Crossing my fingers on this! I have about 15,450 miles currently. I've had the parking and reverse brake assist faults a couple times but that never recurred over several months. The 5 or 6 faults today included pre-collision-assist, advance trac, 4wd and auto-hold I believe. 99% of the time I remote start my vehicle but today it was a cold start before and after drive thru car wash. I'm hoping a wet or blocked sensor from wash triggered these and not a bad sensor. The only other time I've seen these same system faults was when I was driving with a mini spare tire which is normal. Has anyone else had this happen or had it diagnosed or repaired? I should maybe mention an unusual circumstance was I went through the car wash twice, once last night and they did a poor job so this morning they let me go through again. I wonder if the repeated undercarriage spraying could've caused a hopefully temporary sensor failure!? Yes I let it get very dirty this time and didn't have a wash in over a month and a half, which is rare for me!

Last edited:
Reactions
Read above. Speed sensor defect. Had mine replaced, all good for the last several thousand miles. Funny thing about the car wash, mine went out driving in a heavy rain storm. Maybe water related?

hbalek

Reactions
Read above. Speed sensor defect. Had mine replaced, all good for the last several thousand miles. Funny thing about the car wash, mine went out driving in a heavy rain storm. Maybe water related?
Was yours intermittent or failed completely and replaced? Someone above posted once and said it went away and never posted again. Had this occurred on a weekday when the service department was open, I would've driven straight to dealer to show them the codes. I did that when I had check engine light in my first 3,000 miles. They fixed that with a software update and hasn't happened since. The 2 times my engine light came on was also during heavy rain and now that seems to have been a pure coincidence.

Last edited:
Reactions
Started out intermittent. Would come and go. Someone on this forum suggested taking pictures of the display when it happened. Ultimately didn't need to. When it went out it lit up my Fordpass as well. Read this thread as well. Depending on your build date there may be other reprogramming needed. Ford is well aware of the problem.

RWestphal

Reactions
4347 miles while regular easy driving in Sport Mode the following faults appeared on the display:
- 4WD Fault Service Required
- Hill Start Assist Not available
- Pre-Collision Assist Not available
- Service AdvanceTrak
- Drive Modes Not Available
- Auto Hold System Fault

The car defaulted to what appeared in the display to be a "normal" drive mode. I did initially pull over after a few minutes, turn off the car, sit there for a few minutes and then restart. All failures came back on the screen within 10 seconds so at least the problem is very solid and should be easy to troubleshoot.

Up to this point at 4347 miles I have had no issues at all. I have the black on black, Premium Technology Package, Twin moonroof and ST High Perf Pack. Also installed a JLT oil catch can. Really love the car.

It'll go to dealership early next week after Easter. My expectation is that some portion of the computer that is a gateway to these functions failed (but don't know of course).

I'll write back so you all know what the repair was.
Thanks for info