Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST: 6 Faults at same time - OUCH!

Reactions
6200 on mine and I got the same lights. It was a half shift speed sensor on the rear axle.
What happended?

Did Ford fix the problem?

I am having the same problem and having a hard time getting the dealership to check it out...

Reactions
Ours has been at the dealers since February 15th for the same issues. It was also in for two weeks in January and they replaced all the front sensors, which the dealer said fixed the errors, but within a day the warning lights were all back on.

I started taking pictures of the warnings, including the odometer, and texted them to our service advisor. He logged them into their system in order to further document Our case.

Here’s the warnings I got, in order:
1. Service AdvanceTrac
2. 4WD Fault Service Required
3. Auto Hold System Fault
4. Pre-Collision Assist Not Available
5. Reverse Brake Assist Not Available Set Manual
6. Drive Mode Not Available
7. For Hill Descent Select Gear

Ford finally approved the buyback on Monday, so we’re supposed to get together with the dealer tomorrow to sign everything and get rid of the vehicle.

Hope this helps.
I am currently going through the same problem and not getting alot of support from the local Ford dealership.

What is the Ford Buyback program and how do I get it started?

Reactions
Just joined the group tonight and hope this helps you folks out. Had all these errors start the morning after I took a mid-January delivery. The faults always occur within a few seconds of starting the vehicle but it's not with every start and it could be a "cold" start or when I'm leaving a gas station or grocery store after a decent amount of wheel time. The vehicle also intermittently fails to lock/unlock/release hatch/start vehicle and throws an error message about not detecting a key, even though it's in the vehicle with me. The only one I could verify was persistent was the Auto Hold failure. That would not work at all after it showed a fault and the rest, well, I wasn't going to put them to the test. I recently had a new one - "Restart Now or Key is Needed." That popped last week while I was driving in a parking lot. Anyway, I took it to the dealer a couple times and they couldn't replicate anything and a service manager took it home a couple nights, too. I don't know if the dealer was making an educated guess or got some input from Ford but they wound up replacing the transfer case motor. No joy, and the errors started popping again. I even had the parking brake fire when the vehicle was in drive but fortunately I was at a stop light. It released at the same time as the Auto Hold and I never, ever use a parking brake. That one got me pretty concerned because what's to stop it from firing while the vehicle is in motion? Fortunately it only happened once. After three visits the dealer asked if I could bring it in with the next occurrence and leave the vehicle running. Score. Got it in and a tech hooked up a diagnostic laptop and traced the issue to a faulty ABS unit. That was where the techs and Ford engineers (my issue has been bucked to them more than once) were leaning but now they had evidence. Almost four weeks later it was done - took three tries to get an undamaged ABS unit from Ford. Factor in furloughed staff and reduced service hours and there's your timespan. Picked it up a couple weeks ago and the key issue started a few days later and the suite of errors the following day. Back to the dealer again last week and I also contacted Ford's customer service team through Facebook who opened a case with a regional service manager. I have to say Ford has been very good with follow-ups and I have no qualms whatsoever with the dealer and how it's handled the issues. I asked Ford for compensation via Ford Pass points and for consideration to buy the vehicle back. Actually, I just want it swapped because it's a fun drive and I love the looks. To my surprise this afternoon I was told my buyback request was approved and I'll get more information from that team next week. Hopefully it won't be a PITA and the vehicle is still stock. Glad I put off upgrading some speakers and the subwoofer and getting a clear bra. The bummer is STs with my preferred options/colors are a rare breed in the Twin Cities and I want something with a recent build date. Will that matter? Probably not but I want to see a 2020 build date on the sticker. Couple of things I'd recommend are to take photos/video of the issues and, if you can, get to a Ford dealer with the car running when they do. Even if they clear I was told they should still be "in memory" (my words) and can be trapped with a diagnostic tool.
I am currently going through the same problem and not getting alot of support from the local Ford dealership.

What is the Ford Buyback program and how do I get it started?

Reactions
The error codes popped up on my display as well. Searched the explorerforum as well as this one, scheduled an appointment with the dealer and had them note the work order with TSB 20-2071. Will keep you posted.

Wrxs75

Reactions
My 21' ST @4k miles purchased Feb has been in the shop since Apr 12th with all the same faults and codes flashing on the screen. Same exact way that they were able to clear and all came back at some point. I was informed that, Allegedly all parts are on backorder. The tech told me they've replaced a sensor, but are waiting on a Break booster and Solenoid... Already immediately started a buy back process

Gmel4

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Ok guys. Picked up the ST after 1 day in the shop for those 6 fault windows indicated in above post.

SOLUTION: Replaced Front Half Speed Sensor per TSB# 20-2071. Tech at dealership told me that Ford was already aware of the issue.

It appears I may have been on to something on the fault windows being triggered by the "acceleration around the corners".

We'll see if this proves to be successful. I'm hopeful and will give it some good amount of tests myself.
This is the exact thing that is happening to me. Same 6 faults and they usually pop up when I am accelerating on turns or corners. I just bought my car soIm hoping it is somethig that can be fixed because I really dont want to give it up. I love this car. Thank you for updating.

Reactions
Have not had any more issues with the faults popping up since the dealer addressed TSB 20-2071.

Wrxs75

Reactions
Have not had any more issues with the faults popping up since the dealer addressed TSB 20-2071.
What part is the TSB? Because mine has been in 3 times for this multiple fault issue now at a total of 6 plus weeks. I'm on week 3 this time around... The 2nd time was almost a month. Truck was bought the end of Jan... I'm dealing with the worst customer service I've ever experienced In my life. Mind you I absolutely love the truck, but this experience is weighing hard to go elsewhere..

Reactions
What part is the TSB? Because mine has been in 3 times for this multiple fault issue now at a total of 6 plus weeks. I'm on week 3 this time around... The 2nd time was almost a month. Truck was bought the end of Jan... I'm dealing with the worst customer service I've ever experienced In my life. Mind you I absolutely love the truck, but this experience is weighing hard to go elsewhere..
They replaced the Front Half Shaft/Speed Sensor...not sure what the correlation is but Ford is aware of the issue...like I stated above I mentioned the issues I was having with all of the fault messages popping up and the TSB# 20-2071. Sometimes you gotta try another dealer, sucks cause usually you wanna stay where you bought the truck...hope this helps.

Wrxs75

Reactions
They replaced the Front Half Shaft/Speed Sensor...not sure what the correlation is but Ford is aware of the issue...like I stated above I mentioned the issues I was having with all of the fault messages popping up and the TSB# 20-2071. Sometimes you gotta try another dealer, sucks cause usually you wanna stay where you bought the truck...hope this helps.
Yeah I've tried 2 other service dept, but they all are booked for a minimum of a month out.. So I had to go back to ol'unfaithful... Totally sucks!

KegsBdry

Reactions
Yeah I've tried 2 other service dept, but they all are booked for a minimum of a month out.. So I had to go back to ol'unfaithful... Totally sucks!
Now you know why the other 2 are so booked up, QUALITY. :unsure:

Why not make the appointment for a month later? Do you have faith your current ol'unfaithful dealership will solve it by then? :rolleyes:

Reactions
Found my work order from the dealer 20210609_140925.jpg

WRS

Reactions
Does anybody have a copy of TSB 20-2071? I have searched online and do not see it listed. My wife drove into the dealer with all these codes active, left running for laptop hook up, and 10 days later still troubleshooting.

Thanks, Will

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I just had the same codes pop up as Bstard2001 and WRS. Will be going to the shop. Thanks for the info.

WRS

Reactions
Took them 2 weeks but they finally changed the Front half shaft sensor per TSB 20-2071 and all good.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Same here, front half shaft sensor replaced per TSB 20-2071 and everything fine for past several weeks. Tech informed me that new sensor has been improved. Oh, but he forgot to tell me he put the lift in the wrong place and caused damage. This is also discussed in another thread. Luckily they have their own body shop and are fixing it this week, providing a loaner of course.

Reactions
4347 miles while regular easy driving in Sport Mode the following faults appeared on the display:
- 4WD Fault Service Required
- Hill Start Assist Not available
- Pre-Collision Assist Not available
- Service AdvanceTrak
- Drive Modes Not Available
- Auto Hold System Fault

The car defaulted to what appeared in the display to be a "normal" drive mode. I did initially pull over after a few minutes, turn off the car, sit there for a few minutes and then restart. All failures came back on the screen within 10 seconds so at least the problem is very solid and should be easy to troubleshoot.

Up to this point at 4347 miles I have had no issues at all. I have the black on black, Premium Technology Package, Twin moonroof and ST High Perf Pack. Also installed a JLT oil catch can. Really love the car.

It'll go to dealership early next week after Easter. My expectation is that some portion of the computer that is a gateway to these functions failed (but don't know of course).

I'll write back so you all know what the repair was.
Thank you for starting this thread. My ST did this last night. Called dealership today with info from this thread and have an appointment for next week to get this TSB taken care of. And thank you to everyone else who contributed to this thread. Because of people like you, this forum is a wealth of information. Thanks again to all.

My Tank

Reactions
Thanks to all in the ST Forum: Our ST is a 2020 edition with 30,000 miles. Obviously, I've enjoyed the ST experience with that many miles to date. However, as many have detailed here our ST flashed up the now infamous 6 signals as you all have already posted. Dealer has had the ST for going on 5 weeks now. They to date have replaced the TSB, successfully grounded all wiring - as a suggested fix on chafed wires- and done some recoding. The faults are now down to 3 and have been informed today that dealers are at the mercy of the Service Hotline-meaning they cannot proceed to resolving the faults until the hotline tells them to follow the next potential fix....the forum posts here are quite helpful as they show how persistent the infamous 6 fault issue: pre collision assist, hill start assist warning, back up camera-now resolved, etc... has been over the past 18 months here on the forum. So, potential outcomes are resolution from a regional service tech --- if not resolved this week 4 of service going into month 2 since the ST has been at the dealer.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Tah
Thanks to all in the ST Forum: Our ST is a 2020 edition with 30,000 miles. Obviously, I've enjoyed the ST experience with that many miles to date. However, as many have detailed here our ST flashed up the now infamous 6 signals as you all have already posted. Dealer has had the ST for going on 5 weeks now. They to date have replaced the TSB, successfully grounded all wiring - as a suggested fix on chafed wires- and done some recoding. The faults are now down to 3 and have been informed today that dealers are at the mercy of the Service Hotline-meaning they cannot proceed to resolving the faults until the hotline tells them to follow the next potential fix....the forum posts here are quite helpful as they show how persistent the infamous 6 fault issue: pre collision assist, hill start assist warning, back up camera-now resolved, etc... has been over the past 18 months here on the forum. So, potential outcomes are resolution from a regional service tech --- if not resolved this week 4 of service going into month 2 since the ST has been at the dealer.

Hope they figure it out soon. It sucks not having your ST during the fall weather.

Mine took several trips to the dealership, only to show back up a couple weeks later. It took the 8th trip for them to find out it was a melted battery cap.

What's your loaner? Anything fun?