Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Anyone have a photo of what I should be looking at? just to see if i have it or not. What do I look for when it starts becoming a problem?
if you have the 3 bolt frame, unless you pull the bolt out periodically to see if it is bent, you’re not going to know if it’s a problem as it would be tough to see any change. If you’re lucky and have a 4 bolt frame, it shouldn’t be an issue.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
if you have the 3 bolt frame, unless you pull the bolt out periodically to see if it is bent, you’re not going to know if it’s a problem as it would be tough to see any change. If you’re lucky and have a 4 bolt frame, it shouldn’t be an issue.
I think I have seen people say that the rubber bushing around the bolt will be pushed in if it’s starting to fail. Take that with a grain of salt though.

Vaeevictiss

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST, 2021 Mustang GT
Disregard. Wrong thread

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There's a stop sale now for this. We weren't able to take delivery of a 2023 because of it
I thought the stop sale was for the rear view camera issues. The bolt issue has a “remedy”.

Vaeevictiss

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Lol that's right, somehow posted in the wrong thread. Too many tabs open lol.

Vaeevictiss

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
So the dealer where we have an ST on reserve just called saying "well until theres an actual recall theres nothing that can be done proactively". Sounds like bullshit because there are people here that have gotten them replaced with the correct subframe. In the end, im not planning on really modding or beating the shit out of it but i still want the the subframe its supposed to have. Ive heard good things about the AWR diff mount though.

Reactions
Just an update to my post.
After the rear subframe replacement, noticed extreme wear on outer edge of rear tire. Took back and the dealer said "the adjustments were loose somehow, we realigned and tightened everything up".
Fast forward a month. They picked it up for service, (I have Ford blue status), another camera update for recall, and fix passenger seat trim. They called, "we've ordered a new rear upper control arm and the car is ready". What!? He said it was loose and needed to be replaced under warranty. Which is why the tire continues to wear. Geeze people... I've not even talked to them yet about the tire wear issue. I love this vehicle, but this is annoying.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
The dealer took the software recall off mine a few months ago. Said folks were complaining about the emergency brake and related issues, and that Ford was working on it.
Meanwhile, the rear bolt bushing has failed yet again...(click/clank between drive/reverse with brakes applied) Yes, I will update my NHTSA report....

Vaeevictiss

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
The dealer took the software recall off mine a few months ago. Said folks were complaining about the emergency brake and related issues, and that Ford was working on it.
Meanwhile, the rear bolt bushing has failed yet again...(click/clank between drive/reverse with brakes applied) Yes, I will update my NHTSA report....

Man after seeing all these problems I dunno if I even want one anymore lol. One dude in another thread was saying his was back 6 times for various recalls.

Reactions
Man after seeing all these problems I dunno if I even want one anymore lol. One dude in another thread was saying his was back 6 times for various recalls.
Generally, you only see the complaints. I have three recalls, none completed yet as the issues have never materialized on my 2020. Most STs have few issues. Good luck with your search.

Vaeevictiss

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Generally, you only see the complaints. I have three recalls, none completed yet as the issues have never materialized on my 2020. Most STs have few issues. Good luck with your search.
Ya that's a good point I suppose. You really can't get that performance at that price point anywhere else.

Reactions
I am
Wondering if I can turn my lease in early due to this.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Well after getting my rear differential and driveshaft replaced at 9k miles I'm now having a leak at the top of the diff at 12k miles. Diff bolt broke Oct 2022 n returned mid December.

Saw the leak in my driveway so thought it might be from when I had the ID Speed rear diff brace installed and maybe the bolts loosened up or something. Brought it to the shop that installed n all the bolts were tight n it was leaking from up on top of the differential the mechanic thought. He pointed out where the diff fluid was hitting the undercarriage like it was spraying up then dripping back down. There's no gasket n only silicone so maybe a spot at the top blew out the silicone and caused a small spot to spray out when it's spinning inside. That's what the mechanic thought. He tried looking up a part number for rear diff gasket but nothing came up so he assumed that Ford didn't have a gasket but used silicone instead.

Dropped it off at the dealer 3 days ago n they of course are backed up n haven't looked at it yet. No loaner n it's the only vehicle that fits my whole family at one time (4 kids). This dealer sucks with loaners as they are always all reserved.

So annoyed with this damn rear diff that I went out n got the largest and cheapest to lease 3 row SUV being delivered tomorrow afternoon (Wagoneer L) lol. Well that's not the only reason I leased a new larger SUV. I was wanting something bigger as the room behind 3rd row sucks in the explorer cuz the rear space is all filled up with a stroller so no room to fit anything else n sold my car. Well hopefully neither have to be in the shop for major repairs n if so I still one available cuz we all know Jeeps reliability . 420hp by the way and over 500 in the Grand Wagoneer with the same inline 6. Wonder if just a tune will get me to 500hp or there's other mechanical differences between the two engines lol.

Anyone have any ideas maybe? Could the diff be cracked due to the brace putting extra stress on it or more then likely the silicone blew out n is spraying diff fluid through the small hole?

Hopefully they can fix it quickly n I can get this damn thing back or maybe get it lemon lawed as it was at the shop for almost 2 months last time waiting on the new diff parts to come n again only 3k miles later.

Guess you heard enough of me ranting. Thanks for getting this far if you made it.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
I got it back and was told it was only the silicone that had failed or came out. They resealed it and filled it back up. Let's hope this doesn't happen again in 6 months.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
There are a couple of law firms looking to add people to the single bolt rear axle case. A poor design which they rolled out a software update to address.

I didn't qualify but those with a Explorer with the single bolt setup wanting to get involved can contact attorney Kevin Patel, (678 )597 -8020
Why didn’t you qualify?

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
I didn't qualify for a different law firm because I had the differential fixed. They needed me to have it inspected for the Lawsuit.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Yea maybe I'll give them a call. Did they give you any info on what they were looking for?

Reactions
The rear differential assemblies are having major issues. I had the entire rear end replaced under warranty at 32k miles. And now again for the same bearing failure at 69k miles, but this time on my dime. I was also told by a county Sheriff that they've had several failures in the field, some of which completely seized during pursuit in 2020+ PIU's.

Now I'm without a car, with no loaner, no ETA on replacement parts because they're on national backorder. This is in my 2021. I've already got a case open with Ford Corporate. They better step up to the plate.