Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I, like many others have not had a single problem with my '20. Only real problem I've had is to replace the battery after 2 1/2 years, and due to a majority of around town driving, that's not a surprise. Nothing else. I've never even had the "blue screen" backup camera issue (knock on wood).

I think many problems that were reported were either due to the very early builds (inexperienced assemblers, new line problems, etc), or built during Covid where people were on and off and doing different jobs to keep the lines running. Personally, I would never trade my 20 in on a later model.

Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
I feel a whole lot better about it now. /s
Yeah, certainly is not making me feel good about looking to buying. I have a lot of thinking to do, this **** ing blows lol with a kid due in June, I'd either have to stay stock, or waste money on the not even worth it Ford Performance tune to still have the warranty for when the bolt brakes, and that's the only performance mod I can do, otherwise I'm sure Ford will blame it on something as little as a intake filter that somehow created more torque and snapped the bolt automagically.

Stay stock
Ford Performance tune *gags*
Drive the shit out of it and snap the bolt somehow, but then park that car in Fords lot and wait 6 months to a year for backordered parts (I am assuming they are with the supply chain)

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Buy a used '20, or a '23 with 4 bolt subframe. As far as '20...lower price, no broken bolts, and a lot of extra features.

Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Buy a used '20, or a '23 with 4 bolt subframe. As far as '20...lower price, no broken bolts, and a lot of extra features.
There are a couple of ‘20’s available, but they all have 25k and higher miles and not the right trim package, that’s too high for me to feel comfortable about it.

But I have thought about the 20’s before. But every ST I looked at that are 21+ have the 3 bolt

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Heck, I offered to pay out of pocket for a replacement four bolt subframe to be installed on mine and the dealer came up with reasons why they “couldn’t do it”. At least they offered that they would “look into doing it under warranty“ if I would happen to break the bolt along with all the other things that break when that happens.

I feel a whole lot better about it now. /s
As I’m sure you’ve understood, there’s nothing to “look into”. It would be covered by the recall, not the warranty.

Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Ugh, man. If I had the two bolt I'd have an ST already lol even with a tune it worries me that the bolt will snap, and the recall denied from the tune even if I return it to stock. Anyone ever come across a tuned ST with a one bolt and it be fine? I do plan on getting a differential brace for what it's worth.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
As I’m sure you’ve understood, there’s nothing to “look into”. It would be covered by the recall, not the warranty.
Yeah I know that it’s covered under the recall. I just found it funny that the dealer would invoke a possible break as being a warranty issue. Which makes me worried that they don’t know what is covered under the recall aside from having to flash the system to kick on the e-brake when you shift to park.

BillyChode

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have a 2022 ST built 8/2022 with the 3-bolt…it’s not covered under the recall, but have seen a few people on here say there were a batch of bad bolts that were attributed to the fractures. I was hoping the 3-bolters post recall have better bolts, but lwho knows.

Being a pessimist, I will assume Ford is going to fight tooth and nail to expand any other dates outside of the ones on the recall. They probably won’t acknowledge those being an issue until these bad boys start breaking too. I’ve had the vehicle since December 2022, and have loved it, but hope Ford will step up and at least be transparent about this whole thing. Love paying over $60k for a “Performance” vehicle, only to be gypped on a bolt so Ford can save a buck.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I have a 2022 ST built 8/2022 with the 3-bolt…it’s not covered under the recall, but have seen a few people on here say there were a batch of bad bolts that were attributed to the fractures. I was hoping the 3-bolters post recall have better bolts, but lwho knows.
I know that the part number of the bolt changed sometime around the recall. Whether that means it's "better" or not, I couldn't tell you for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST

Being a pessimist, I will assume Ford is going to fight tooth and nail to expand any other dates outside of the ones on the recall. They probably won’t acknowledge those being an issue until these bad boys start breaking too. I’ve had the vehicle since December 2022, and have loved it, but hope Ford will step up and at least be transparent about this whole thing. Love paying over $60k for a “Performance” vehicle, only to be gypped on a bolt so Ford can save a buck.
Yours is not covered under the recall only because it had the e-brake software change done at the factory.

BillyChode

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Yours is not covered under the recall only because it had the e-brake software change done at the factory.
Thanks…I am hoping the software fix isn’t the only solution if there’s a part problem kong term. I had a similar experience with a M3 that had a crap design e-brake. They swore the software change would fix it, but it ended up being a spring that would rattle around. Imagine trying to look cool with a new M3, only to sound like you’re dragging those “just married” cans down the road. It was awful.

i don’t plan on launching, towing, or tuning, so I think I am ok. Just wanted to bring my pitch fork out and find out if the 3 bolt design was the problem or the actual bolts. I’ll go about my business and complain if I fall victim to the dreaded fracture. Thanks fellas!

SIxpack

U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Reactions
Just catching up...
I will say that my bolt didn't break, but the bushing around the bolt broke.
The symptom was a clicking noise when the driveline flexed (park/neutral/reverse).

Mark
2021 ST

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just catching up...
I will say that my bolt didn't break, but the bushing around the bolt broke.
The symptom was a clicking noise when the driveline flexed (park/neutral/reverse).

Mark
2021 ST

First time I've heard of the bushing breaking. Did your dealer replace the sub frame to repair it?

Reactions
Yes, I posted that info and pictures on another thread

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Yes, I posted that info and pictures on another thread

Was your subframe replaced with the 4 bolt or the same 3 bolt?

Reactions
Ford would only cover the same unit.
Old vs new shown. See the one mount point on subframe.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
They replace the entire rear subframe for a failed bushing? Or was there more damaged.

Personally, I'd get rid of the car! Ford says they will only fix it once. Happens again and you might be on the hook for thousands of dollars if it takes out your driveshaft, axles, and rear diff. I'd inquire whether this failed bushing counts the same as a failed bolt--one fix and you're done.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Why will they only fix it once under warranty? That seems ridiculous if it's their fault for for only putting a 3 bolt subframe in