Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Reactions
We can factory order Explorers still but with the obvious constraints such as rear climate controls, auto start stop, MCS, and heated rear seats.

Any Explorer sitting on the lot that falls under the VIN list for the recall... we literally can not deliver until we fix it.. aka after June.
I 1650905409213.png
Very odd.....So they are just ignoring the real problem due to cost.

Last edited:
Reactions
Great, just checked FordPass and mine has the recall.

Good thing I downgraded from a 2020 ST. Yuck.

Reactions
I could be wrong, but isn't the PCM update just to activate the electronic parking brake when in park? The way I read it was that the recall isn't necessarily to "fix" the issue, it is to mitigate potential safety hazards.
That’s how I understand it too. There sure is a lot drama going on otherwise…that’s for sure. I think someone just assumed that the PCM flash was going to take away horsepower and all of a sudden the sky is falling.

Reactions
I'm going to do a few dragy hits before and after the PCM "Update" so that I have some data. I'll do a before and after data log as well and compare some parameters as well with one of my SCT devices I have for my other vehicles.

I'm sure there will be a class action lawsuit very soon if they don't upgrade all of the ST's to the 4 bolt setup from 2020 and early 2021.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
That’s how I understand it too. There sure is a lot drama going on otherwise…that’s for sure. I think someone just assumed that the PCM flash was going to take away horsepower and all of a sudden the sky is falling.

Reactions
Honestly there is nothing wrong with people worried about the possibility of changing the way their car drives or performs. I think the bigger issue issue is Ford knows there is a problem, their way of fixing it is preventing it from rolling after it happens.....but actually what might happen when the bolt breaks when your driving....the good thing so far is nothing bad that I seen . So unfortunately I think it is going to take a injury\accident from this part breaking to get the proper fix. I honestly think another question is why do the PIU get the fix....yes certainly they deserve the most reliability they can get but I think everyone does.

Reactions
The Dodge Ram Ecodiesel guys all got a huge downgrade tune when fiat Chrysler fell afoul with the EPA. It took a class action lawsuit for the owners to be compensated.
This is why many of us are skeptical about the "PCM flash"

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Showed up in my FordPass today.

Reactions
The Dodge Ram Ecodiesel guys all got a huge downgrade tune when fiat Chrysler fell afoul with the EPA. It took a class action lawsuit for the owners to be compensated.
This is why many of us are skeptical about the "PCM flash"
Completely different situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Completely different situations.

How so? Chrysler told owners that there would be no change in performance or driveability with the updated PCM flash. That was not the case and it took a lawsuit to acknowledge it. Until this update is out there and tested, I'll stay skeptical.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I'm going to do a few dragy hits before and after the PCM "Update" so that I have some data ...
Excellent idea!

Reactions
I honestly think another question is why do the PIU get the fix....yes certainly they deserve the most reliability they can get but I think everyone does.
As far as the PIU’s getting fixed first: People are so litigious and they love going after deep pockets, namely law enforcement. Ford wants to keep the PIU account, so naturally they’re going to cater to them. I highly doubt they’ll de-tune these things. If they do go with a PCM flash and made the shifts less firm (which I really think the flash is for e-brake engagement only), will a couple tenths of a second 0-60 really matter? These are SUV’s, not quarter mile drag cars.

Reactions
How so? Chrysler told owners that there would be no change in performance or driveability with the updated PCM flash. That was not the case and it took a lawsuit to acknowledge it. Until this update is out there and tested, I'll stay skeptical.
Because that was to resolve vehicles failing emissions. There is only one way to address that at minimal costs.

This is being deemed a safety issue. A PCM flash is a generic term that Ford uses, it doesn’t always have something to do with the ECM. All modules are flashed via the same method. The latest document shows that they will engage the parking brake when the vehicle is in park.

There is already a TSB to address a physical bolt failure.

It just doesn’t add up that they would “pull power”, especially when this recall includes other models.

Reactions
As far as the PIU’s getting fixed first: People are so litigious and they love going after deep pockets, namely law enforcement. Ford wants to keep the PIU account, so naturally they’re going to cater to them. I highly doubt they’ll de-tune these things. If they do go with a PCM flash and made the shifts less firm (which I really think the flash is for e-brake engagement only), will a couple tenths of a second 0-60 really matter? These are SUV’s, not quarter mile drag cars.
Do you have a ST, if so what’s the reason you bought it? I bought mine for the way it drives …so yeah it would matter. I would be fine with the e-brake update only.

Reactions
Do you have a ST, if so what’s the reason you bought it? I bought mine for the way it drives …so yeah it would matter. I would be fine with the e-brake update only.
Yes (see signature) and I bought it for many reasons. Did you buy yours to win at the NHRA drags? I did not. Got another car for that.

Reactions
Yes (see signature) and I bought it for many reasons. Did you buy yours to win at the NHRA drags? I did not. Got another car for that.
Cool JohnE is all I can say, I guess one of those was not the power or driving dynamics of vehicle.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Easy there big fella! I bought my ST because it was advertised as the performance model, not the "de-tuned" performance model Lol

I spent 15 years at the drag strip fooling around with Fox body Stangs. So yes, a drop in the ST's hp/acceleration means something to me.

Quite a bit as a matter of fact. :cool:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
JohnE is certainly entitled to his own opinion. But my guess is that nearly every ST owner is (n) at the thought of a factory de-tune. I know I definitely am!

But alas, that no longer seems to be case. Turns out it's just an e-brake reprogram.

Last edited: