Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
The auto parking brake came with my FRP Tune, I always use the parking brake anyway and use the button to release it. No issues here!

hbalek

Reactions
The auto parking brake came with my FRP Tune, I always use the parking brake anyway and use the button to release it. No issues here!
I've had an automatic e-brake such as this one on my last 2 Ford products since 2015. I always use it when I park and I NEVER use the button to release the brake, ever. It's designed to release as soon as you tap the throttle. My Fusion Hybrid at work also does the same thing. No big deal! I think some people just miss the old days of cranks and levers and loud noisy mechanical things.

Delmustator

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Anyone taken delivery of a 2023 yet? Wonder if this has been fixed or I should be preemptively installing an AWR-E3301?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
If any one can the full specs/dimensions on the OEM bolt, APR is willing to match it up with something. Anyone?!?
If someone was to order a new bolt and send it in maybe? Would be willing to pay just can be bothered to set it up with ARP.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Anyone taken delivery of a 2023 yet? Wonder if this has been fixed or I should be preemptively installing an AWR-E3301?
I've seen posts on new deliveries having the 4 bolt rear sub frame. You may want to wait on the AWR.

Delmustator

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I've seen posts on new deliveries having the 4 bolt rear sub frame. You may want to wait on the AWR.
I'm definitely gonna crawl under it and check it. I'll report what I find.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
If someone was to order a new bolt and send it in maybe? Would be willing to pay just can be bothered to set it up with ARP.
I was thinking the same thing. Will try to find the part number today for the factory bolt, but if anyone knows it offhand that would help. I might be able to get it local and then send it to ARP.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Here's a pic of the paperwork from Ford with part numbers. Looks like there are a few part numbers for bolts. Looks like there's a campaign card bolt number which is probably the revised bolt used in the recall.

Attachments

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Here's a pic of the paperwork from Ford with part numbers. Looks like there are a few part numbers for bolts. Looks like there's a campaign card bolt number which is probably the revised bolt used in the recall.
Looks like both of the bolts listed on your invoice are related to the driveshafts.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Looks like both of the bolts listed on your invoice are related to the driveshafts.
Look towards the bottom. There are 3 different part numbers. The two listed up top are probably for the axle cover and driveshaft.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Look towards the bottom. There are 3 different part numbers. The two listed up top are probably for the axle cover and driveshaft.
Ahh, I didn't see that. Thank you as that matches @Mekks082 ebay link.

My wife often gets on me for not being able to find things right in front of my face.;)

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Hopefully ARP will produce a bolt for us who will probably never get a proper fix from Ford.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So is it safe to assume that vehicles manufactured after the recall have the "revised" bolt that is presumably higher quality than the ones that were breaking?

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
I would assume after the recall came out they replaced all bolts on unsold vehicles first

TheNorth

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
ARP didn't return my message again, so I called them. They say there was never anything produced for the Explorer and that the stud used in the picture must have been an ARP stud modified by a 3rd party and installed on an Explorer. They had zero interest in producing a stud after explaining the problem we are trying to solve. They said a one-off custom unit could be made through their custom orders department, but they would need the dimensions of the factory bolt and would quote out cost at that time.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
ARP didn't return my message again, so I called them. They say there was never anything produced for the Explorer and that the stud used in the picture must have been an ARP stud modified by a 3rd party and installed on an Explorer. They had zero interest in producing a stud after explaining the problem we are trying to solve. They said a one-off custom unit could be made through their custom orders department, but they would need the dimensions of the factory bolt and would quote out cost at that time.
I have also been discussion this with them through emails. I send the the dimensions for the Ford factory bolt and also told them that I will ship one to them so that they can reference it. Waiting on a reply.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Maybe there are other companies who would also look into producing something for us. Unbroken knows the owner of ID Speed who makes the axle brace with upgraded bolts. If they are willing to look into it more we might be able to get it made if ARP doesn't come through.