Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
As far as "genetic makeup" as a determining factor...LOL. We've only been driving cars for four generations. It is unfathomable to me how someone would attribute this to genetics...except a fool

Looks like the poster I quoted is once again not only posting ignorance, it's on the wrong thread. (there is a male-female drivers thread for some reason).
You sure nailed that one. Gave me a good laugh.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Latest data (2020) has the average person driving 12,785 miles a year, so your 34,000 miles in 3 years (11,333 miles a year) is actually below average.

And of the two sexes Men drive 6,408 miles a year more than Women, so a person's genetic makeup is a determining factor in how much they drive.
I have read many of your posts and always found them very informative, agreed with them and they have even changed my perspective on things. For some reason recently everyone has been giving you shit which has bothered me and I am/was/still in your corner with your responses.

When you start throwing out math which is absolutely not my strong suit (8th grade at best) and using them as facts to just to tell another member they are below average by 1,452 (had to use calculator) is silly. Maybe something has changed over the years but every time average driving per year has come up in my life it has been 12k. Most recently was purchasing vehicles through Enterprise Fleet Services that used the baseline of 12k for average.

Not trying to be a dick in any means and if you would like to start another poll that you can conclude is fact based on forum members responses I will be your first sample size of (1).

Purchased ST on 10/31/21. Currently have 16,799 miles on it which will increase within the next hour as the woman driver wife is picking up kid from volleyball. I don’t have any hard data but I do drive it whenever I am involved with anything. Dinner, sporting events, birthday parties, trip from DC to Asheville for ST experience etc. If I had to guess (agreed it’s not fact or even calculated) I have driven 4k at best of those miles.

In my particular instance on this vehicle we are above average on miles and the woman driver has done the most. I love you and thank you for your services being a Firefighter helping everyone who calls 911.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I have read many of your posts and always found them very informative, agreed with them and they have even changed my perspective on things. For some reason recently everyone has been giving you shit which has bothered me and I am/was/still in your corner with your responses.

When you start throwing out math which is absolutely not my strong suit (8th grade at best) and using them as facts to just to tell another member they are below average by 1,452 (had to use calculator) is silly. Maybe something has changed over the years but every time average driving per year has come up in my life it has been 12k. Most recently was purchasing vehicles through Enterprise Fleet Services that used the baseline of 12k for average.

Not trying to be a dick in any means and if you would like to start another poll that you can conclude is fact based on forum members responses I will be your first sample size of (1).

Purchased ST on 10/31/21. Currently have 16,799 miles on it which will increase within the next hour as the woman driver wife is picking up kid from volleyball. I don’t have any hard data but I do drive it whenever I am involved with anything. Dinner, sporting events, birthday parties, trip from DC to Asheville for ST experience etc. If I had to guess (agreed it’s not fact or even calculated) I have driven 4k at best of those miles.

In my particular instance on this vehicle we are above average on miles and the woman driver has done the most. I love you and thank you for your services being a Firefighter helping everyone who calls 911.
I understand what you're saying completely. If something doesn't sound right, question it!

I'm an absolute stickler for truth in research. I work to maintain that at every turn, because truth is the only thing I'm interested in (no matter what the topic.) And before I became a Firefighter/EMT, I was an audit clerk so I'm pretty decent with math too.

So to the point then. I found the 12,785 miles/year figure on several websites, here is one of them.
https://smartfinancial.com/average-miles-driven-per-year

Not a big deal, just an FYI is all.

As far as people giving me the business, let them. Firefighters live for that stuff. Lol

If they try to make an intelligent argument, I'll give them some slack. If not, I just block them and move on.:cool:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I also only have one vehicle! I've never owned more than one vehicle at a time. I'm an automotive monogamist!
I like the way you think!

hbalek

Reactions
I have always been aware that 12,000 miles per year is the average, hence the 3/36, 5/60 warranty terms. Those numbers aren't arbitrary.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The article I linked points out the DOT's 2020 findings, where the yearly number of miles driven can differ not only by a little, but by a lot. Factors such as what state you live in and whether your are a Male or a Female have a great impact on the yearly miles driven.

So in the truest sense, the 3/36 warranty numbers (and their derivatives) are not only arbitrary, they are quite arbitrary.

Given the studies findings, it becomes clear the manufacturers are doing the best they can and are simply taking averages. That's also why they cap their warranties by including the number of years, and not just the mileage.

Reactions

While he does have some good informative posts, I believe it is his mentality that is causing him to receive this "shit" you speak of. There are examples of that VERY mentality in the last few posts he has made in this thread... It could also be that he screams the bolt fracture issue isnt a big deal, while constantly bringing it up. This is my opinion and I know he isnt going to see it since I am on his "they dont agree with me" block list. See below please…

As far as people giving me the business, let them. Firefighters live for that stuff. Lol
And…

If they try to make an intelligent argument, I'll give them some slack. If not, I just block them and move on.
Those are from the same post. He claims that “Firefighters live for that stuff…Firefighters deal with facts, not emotions but his constantly blocking people who dont see the world his way get blocked...That's a firefighter dealing with emotions...

And the second quote…How can someone make an “Intelligent argument” with him if he acts like a 2 year old and blocks everybody that has a differing opinion than he? Seems like a one-sided argument is what some people want.

Now, I have always been under the impression that the 12k annual mileage was based on insurance data. I believe that USAA showed 12k miles as the default when I was adding the explorer to my policy.

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Update - no ETA still on rear axle cover ... steed is rotting away in a dealer lot, two plus months running now.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Update - no ETA still on rear axle cover ... steed is rotting away in a dealer lot, two plus months running now.
Totally unacceptable.You need to see if you can somehow get your case expedited.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Look jefferylay, some inconsiderate @sshat just thumbed down my saying you should get your case expedited.

Seriously, someone has to be a truly obnoxious twit to hope that someone else waits longer for their parts.

Reactions
What? So you want to imagine that after 2+ years the rate of breaks is somehow going to mysteriously skyrocket from 235 out of 252,936 vehicles to tens of thousands?

There might be some more failures here and there as there are with any vehicle. Surmising anything else is fantasy.
I said nothing about “sky rocketing” or “tens of thousands”, so that’s weird that you a are implying that.

My point is that you continue to reference a stat frozen in time and yet the world keeps spinning.

Ford isn’t going to spend money on 4000 covers just for fun. There is data or dollars that back that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Looks like my axle bolt just broke under normal driving conditions my wife said she was just accelerating normally down the street leaving the house and all of a sudden there was a horrible sound and she turned around and drove home. The kids said it sounded like something broke almost like it was dragging something. I took some pictures but it's hard to see anything in the dark.

Attachments

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
My ST is a 2021 that I got in February of 2021. It now has only 9050.3 miles.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Looks like my axle bolt just broke under normal driving conditions my wife said she was just accelerating normally down the street leaving the house and all of a sudden there was a horrible sound and she turned around and drove home. The kids said it sounded like something broke almost like it was dragging something. I took some pictures but it's hard to see anything in the dark.
Well that’s unfortunate, but not totally unexpected either. You can see an area on the left tail pipe where the inner cv joint went down and hit it. Hope your dealer can get you fixed up pretty quickly.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Well that’s unfortunate, but not totally unexpected either. You can see an area on the left tail pipe where the inner cv joint went down and hit it. Hope your dealer can get you fixed up pretty quickly.
Yeah I just looked at the picture again and noticed it. Now I gotta have this thing towed to the dealer and see how long it will take to fix.

I need to buy that ID speed axle brace that Unbroken has spoke about. I had it in my cart at Lethalperformance and was waiting on black Friday lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Uhh O. Re-Open the Poll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TwolIter

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST 401A Street Package
22 ST single bolt... Ordered My AWR-E3301 from Lethal Performance over the weekend... I will put around town till I get it bolted on, better safe they sorry.

Reactions
Me too! Stay tuned...

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Just got back from dealer for another follow-up. The bushing around the bolt to the rear subframe broke allowing flex and clank noise when shifting between D and R. New subframe ordered. Deemed not safe to drive. Parts diagram for replacement subframe shows two bolts. Hoping for correct part. I'm in a MKZ loaner.
My takeaway, if you are hearing a clank noise when shifting between R and D, etc. Get it checked. They put it on a lift and said it was flexing "a lot".
Of note, mine starting this noise around 21k.

Last edited:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Uhh O. Re-Open the Poll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So the poll can read 2 breaks out of 137 instead of 1 break out of 136?
A break incidence of 1.45% instead of .7%?

The poll has served its intended function well, the poll remains closed.

Reactions
Just got back from dealer for another follow-up. The bushing around the bolt to the rear subframe broke allowing flex and clank noise when shifting between D and R. New subframe ordered. Deemed not safe to drive. Parts diagram for replacement subframe shows two bolts. Hoping for correct part. I'm in a MKZ loaner.
My takeaway, if you are hearing a clank noise when shifting between R and D, etc. Get it checked. They put it on a lift and said it was flexing "a lot".
Of note, mine starting this noise around 21k.

Update:
Here is pic of the cracked bushing
Lower right