Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
We already know FORD has officially reported more than "dozens", they reported exactly 235 at around the same time that person wrote.

Which mathematically is still an infinitesimally small number compared to the 252,936 vehicles effected (.092% or less than one tenth of a percent).

If just 5% incurred a bolt shear, there would be over 12,000 incidents and we'd see a huge number of people with breaks. But we don't.
Update - Ford has outsourced 4,000 rear axle covers (I was mistakenly told it was a rear diff cover at first ... apologies, no my strong suit). See below. They are starting to ship 200 a week starting November 7th. 20 week run.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Update - Ford has outsourced 4,000 rear axle covers (I was mistakenly told it was a rear diff cover at first ... apologies, no my strong suit). See below. They are starting to ship 200 a week starting November 7th. 20 week run.
I do not see FORD's outsourcing of 4,000 rear axle covers as meaning they have encountered any more than the 235 breaks they originally reported. Just that because of those breaks, they will eventually replace as many of those covers as possible (with 4,000 being the starting point).

Put another way, I do not make conclusions beyond the facts that I have been given.

Kind of like my not seeing a glass as half full, nor as half empty. I just see it for what it really is, a glass containing one half of one substance and one half of another substance. So unless FORD provides us with more concrete data, it would be negligent of me to make any other conclusions.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Mine is a 2020 so I'm a 4 bolt guy.
Interesting. So that would add fuel to the ongoing debate of "the 4 bolt is less problematic than the 2 bolt" controversy, making it somewhat moot.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
No I did not break a bolt I just have a 4 bolt set up from the factory

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
I’ve had my vehicle three years now at the end of last month and I’ve had absolutely nothing wrong no problems at all very satisfied.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Interesting. So that would add fuel to the ongoing debate of "the 4 bolt is less problematic than the 2 bolt" controversy, making it somewhat moot.
Deep thoughts- similar to "your lighter gets lighter until your lighter gets so light that it won't light." The VP of meaningless posts.

Reactions
I do not see FORD's outsourcing of 4,000 rear axle covers as meaning they have encountered any more than the 235 breaks they originally reported. Just that because of those breaks, they will eventually replace as many of those covers as possible (with 4,000 being the starting point).

Put another way, I do not make conclusions beyond the facts that I have been given.

Kind of like my not seeing a glass as half full, nor as half empty. I just see it for what it really is, a glass containing one half of one substance and one half of another substance. So unless FORD provides us with more concrete data, it would be negligent of me to make any other conclusions.
Huh? So you want to believe that every vehicle that was going to sheer a bolt, did so by the time they did their initial analysis, just because they haven’t provided more data?

There will continue to be failures until a solution is fully deployed. That’s reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbalek

Reactions
I’ve had my vehicle three years now at the end of last month and I’ve had absolutely nothing wrong no problems at all very satisfied.
Rick, how many miles on your 2020? I'm at almost 33,000 miles and have had several repairs already since the first year. Tomorrow I'm getting the broken driver's seat panel panel replaced and catalytic converters checked for cracks, which I have suspected for a while now. The first year and a half I had the fuel pump and battery replaced. Also, the rear camera recall/replacement was done earlier this year. The transmission was rebuilt at about 25,000 miles. 11/1/19 build date and purchased on 12/4/19.

Last edited:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Huh? So you want to believe that every vehicle that was going to sheer a bolt, did so by the time they did their initial analysis, just because they haven’t provided more data?

There will continue to be failures until a solution is fully deployed. That’s reality.
What? So you want to imagine that after 2+ years the rate of breaks is somehow going to mysteriously skyrocket from 235 out of 252,936 vehicles to tens of thousands?

There might be some more failures here and there as there are with any vehicle. Surmising anything else is fantasy.

Reactions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uh oh... you better watch out @Blown F-150 . You questioned his "information" so you might be headed to his block list since he can't handle 2-sided conversations!

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Rick, how many miles on your 2020? I'm at almost 33,000 miles and have had several repairs already since the first year. Tomorrow I'm getting the broken driver's seat panel panel replaced and catalytic converters checked for cracks, which I have suspected for a while now. The first year and a half I had the fuel pump and battery replaced. Also, the rear camera recall/replacement was done earlier this year. The transmission was rebuilt at about 25,000 miles. 11/1/19 build date and purchased on 12/4/19.
I have had absolutely zero problems or issues with my vehicle it’s a 2020 with 15,000 miles on it. Purchased mine August 2019

jefferylay

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
For edification sake, my 2020 was great (but for the blue backup screen which was ultimately fixed after a failed software reset attempt) until I ran into the mysterious rear axle debacle at 38k miles. I love my ST and just want it back on the road and in my hands. 2 months in a lesser quality loaner now and Thanksgiving family of 6 road trip approaching.

hbalek

Reactions
I have had absolutely zero problems or issues with my vehicle it’s a 2020 with 15,000 miles on it. Purchased mine August 2019
Wow you drive less than half as much as the average which is what mine will have, about 34,000 in 3 years.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Wow you drive less than half as much as the average which is what mine will have, about 34,000 in 3 years.
I mostly drive my 1994 Nissan hardbody D21 .. bought it new in 94 everything original including paint. Put some wheels on it about 20 years ago other than that all stock. 172,000 miles runs like a top. I pull my Harley with it in an enclosed trailer no problems. 785A3C40-2345-480A-AFDA-430583AC0FB8.jpeg 0E10916A-89A3-4A45-8825-FD7CEFB30689.jpeg

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Latest data (2020) has the average person driving 12,785 miles a year, so your 34,000 miles in 3 years (11,333 miles a year) is actually below average.

And of the two sexes Men drive 6,408 miles a year more than Women, so a person's genetic makeup is a determining factor in how much they drive.

hbalek

Reactions
Latest data (2020) has the average person driving 12,785 miles a year, so your 34,000 miles in 3 years (11,333 miles a year) is actually below average.

And of the two sexes Men drive 6,408 miles a year more than Women, so a person's genetic makeup is a determining factor in how much they drive.
I also only have one vehicle! I've never owned more than one vehicle at a time. I'm an automotive monogamist!

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red

Bruce Jenner … aka Caitlyn Jenner would disagreed with those facts. 53D2B98E-F60D-423A-8FEC-D211AEA002FF.jpeg

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions

As far as "genetic makeup" as a determining factor...LOL. We've only been driving cars for four generations. It is unfathomable to me how someone would attribute this to genetics...except a fool

Looks like the poster I quoted is once again not only posting ignorance, it's on the wrong thread. (there is a male-female drivers thread for some reason).