Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
RE: fly on the wall
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/rear-end-damage.2602/page-27 post number 536

So I see we are getting quite a few failures because of our change to a three bolt subframe.

Yes, the government will probably make us issue a recall.

But a recall has to include a fix with it.

The only fix is to replace them with the proper 4 bolt subframe.

We can’t do that. It’s way too expensive!

I have an idea. What if we say the only problem is the vehicle can roll away.

Great idea! Then our fix can be to just automatically engage the park brake.

Good job team! Another problem solved.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Good catch, never would've seen that in a 29 page thread.

Well, the sad thing is something very close to that scenario probably happened.

FordMatt

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Please see attached

Attachments

FordMatt

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Those awaiting to take possession of their vehicles, please be aware:

1652103189160.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Those awaiting to take possession of their vehicles, please be aware:

View attachment 12177
Do you have the full document you could attach? I'd like to send it to my dealer and ask why if the PCM update for the parking brake is done, why can't they release the vehicle?

FordMatt

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Do you have the full document you could attach? I'd like to send it to my dealer and ask why if the PCM update for the parking brake is done, why can't they release the vehicle?
Some points to consider:

- Some vehicle may have a software update "available." This only identifies that Ford has finalized the release version of the software. This does not mean the dealership has the ability to install the software. FDRS has an update scheduled for May 11. If the dealer is unable to update the vehicle, it will most likely be performed after this update is released.
- Some unsold units may have had the update previously applied at the factory. These vehicles will not have an update available to be performed at the dealership. There is a step the dealer has been communicated to confirm this and the subsequent information necessary to close the recall if no update is required.
- Talk to the SERVICE DEPARTMENT. This is the department that is responsible for completion/closing of the recall. The service team has access to all of the recall documents through PTS.

FordMatt

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
1652113486385.png

Dealers are capable of completing the Recall. Warranty submission is required for the VIN to show no open actions:

1652113550400.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thank you FordMatt for the info you're providing! The dealer is taking another look at it all today, so fingers crossed that it's good news.

drbob1164

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
UPDATE: Arrived at dealership this morning, after waiting over a month due to stop sale order, schedule conflicts etc., to a vehicle that wasn't complete. Was notified by Ford that ALL parts were available for the build back in March. Arrived this morning and vehicle had not been detailed, this was after they notified me that vehicle was ready Friday and I told them I would be there to pick it up first thing Monday (this morning). Not detailed no big deal, then the good wife opens drivers door an the carpet is all gil-flirted. Then she notices the console between the second row captains chairs is NOT THERE! This discovery prompts me to conduct a more thorough search and alas the second row climate controls are NOT THERE! The salesman started checking on all these issues and Ford has a notice that essentially stated, the rest of your car MIGHT be available in 6 to 9 months. THEN Ford wants YOU to sign a contract saying that you are in agreement with this and they would knock $50 off for the inconvenience. Don't know about the rest of ya'll but I'm fed up with poor customer service and the big corporations expecting us to eat whatever they want to feed us. We decided to leave it with them. I will not pay that kind of money for a vehicle knowing I'm gonna have to bring it back in to have the rest of the car installed. Best of luck to ya,ll and enjoy your Ford experience.

db252

Reactions
Vehicle
22 ST
UPDATE: Arrived at dealership this morning, after waiting over a month due to stop sale order, schedule conflicts etc., to a vehicle that wasn't complete. Was notified by Ford that ALL parts were available for the build back in March. Arrived this morning and vehicle had not been detailed, this was after they notified me that vehicle was ready Friday and I told them I would be there to pick it up first thing Monday (this morning). Not detailed no big deal, then the good wife opens drivers door an the carpet is all gil-flirted. Then she notices the console between the second row captains chairs is NOT THERE! This discovery prompts me to conduct a more thorough search and alas the second row climate controls are NOT THERE! The salesman started checking on all these issues and Ford has a notice that essentially stated, the rest of your car MIGHT be available in 6 to 9 months. THEN Ford wants YOU to sign a contract saying that you are in agreement with this and they would knock $50 off for the inconvenience. Don't know about the rest of ya'll but I'm fed up with poor customer service and the big corporations expecting us to eat whatever they want to feed us. We decided to leave it with them. I will not pay that kind of money for a vehicle knowing I'm gonna have to bring it back in to have the rest of the car installed. Best of luck to ya,ll and enjoy your Ford experience.
Your story is definitely not a good one especially after being updated and expecting you to arrive for pick up. Does this mean they did the pcm update for your vehicle (I’m guessing it must have but I’ll wait for your confirmation)? Also, and I don’t know if you had an arrangement with your dealer or it was an option I never saw in our order, but the center console was removed as a standard feature between the captains chairs for ’22 m/y. Either way, good luck with getting your car finally finished as it’s supposed to be and hopefully you’re not already making payments.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My salesman flat out told me to, and I quote, "Drive it like you stole it and beat the hell out of it."

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Other than not being detailed these are well known things. If your salesman wasn't aware of it he sucks at his job. There are many posts on this about it.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My salesman flat out told me to, and I quote, "Drive it like you stole it and beat the hell out of it."
Give this man a cigar!

I drive it exactly as if there were no recall whatsoever. That means the full gamut, easy and smooth, power braking, full throttle etc.

drbob1164

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Your story is definitely not a good one especially after being updated and expecting you to arrive for pick up. Does this mean they did the pcm update for your vehicle (I’m guessing it must have but I’ll wait for your confirmation)? Also, and I don’t know if you had an arrangement with your dealer or it was an option I never saw in our order, but the center console was removed as a standard feature between the captains chairs for ’22 m/y. Either way, good luck with getting your car finally finished as it’s supposed to be and hopefully you’re not already making payments.
oh yes the update was done and NO I am not making any payments. Was not aware of console not being standard equipment. I ordered a 401A equipment group so the console should've been there. When I said I left it with them that meant I AIN"T BUYN" IT!!! I will not accept an incomplete vehicle.

db252

Reactions
Vehicle
22 ST
I hear ya but regardless of what package was ordered, the console was eliminated for our year. Glad you’re not paying for it yet.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I will not accept an incomplete vehicle.
Then you will be driving your current vehicle a few more years. The chip shortage has caused headaches for all auto manufacturers, not just ford several are doing the same as ford and temporarily deleting non essential features so they can get the cars out the door.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
oh yes the update was done and NO I am not making any payments. Was not aware of console not being standard equipment. I ordered a 401A equipment group so the console should've been there. When I said I left it with them that meant I AIN"T BUYN" IT!!! I will not accept an incomplete vehicle.
Are you seriously not buying a $55k-$60k vehicle because of a missing $80 rear center console?
Sorry, that doesn't make any sense to me ...

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... several are doing the same as ford and temporarily deleting non essential features so they can get the cars out the door.
And I can't think of a more nonessential feature than a rear seat center console. People need to get a grip and chill.

Reactions
does anyone know if they are still building ST with the inferior rear end? are all cop cars now built with the proper part?

Reactions
Just checked, the rear diff on my 2021 ST has both bolts thru the crossmember into the diff. So no issues so far. Maybe the bolts themselves will fail? Grade 8 replacements please.

Last edited: