Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Replacement tires for the 21" Pirelli Scorpion's - YOKO'S?

traxiii

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Getting near time to replace the factory rubber. The Scorpions are ok, but I run mostly Michelin's and tire rack recommends the Yokohama Geolander. I plan on 95% road/highway driving and the rest dirt/gravel roads. Does anyone have any experience with the Yoko's? Are the Michelin's worth the extra $100+ per tire?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
We just had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 installed at Costco, I'm sure they would do fine on the occasional gravel road. I had Geolanders on a CRV and they got noisy near their EOL, but they helped that AWD CRV go places a CRV shouldn't.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I replaced my Pirellis when I upgraded to 22’s. Running Pilot Sport All season 4 in 295/22R40. I’d say tires are significantly better and WAY better in wet or snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
traxiii

traxiii

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
I replaced my Pirellis when I upgraded to 22’s. Running Pilot Sport All season 4 in 295/22R40. I’d say tires are significantly better and WAY better in wet or snow.

Good to hear,
We just had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 installed at Costco, I'm sure they would do fine on the occasional gravel road. I had Geolanders on a CRV and they got noisy near their EOL, but they helped that AWD CRV go places a CRV shouldn't.
Don't have any plans for serious off-roading, just hitting some trail heads or campgrounds. They will see snow on I-80 or US-50 going to Tahoe or Reno. Sounds like the A/S 4's all the way.

Reactions
I'm pleased with the Pirelli WeatherActives. Dry and wet performance are good. Haven't tried them in snow yet, but also have a set of Blizzak's for winter. I wanted a very good wet tire, and they deliver.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
My stock Pirellis are down to 4/32’s. Back in the day they’d be good until I saw metal bands but I’m going to Costco soon and they’ll install my Michelin 21” Pilot A/S. Looking forward to it

OP
traxiii

traxiii

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I'd like to hear what you think of them.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
we have a couple thousand miles on the Pilot Sport A/S 4 and they are great. Very quiet and stick well in the mountains. 45k warranty.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
we have a couple thousand miles on the Pilot Sport A/S 4 and they are great. Very quiet and stick well in the mountains. 45k warranty.[/QUOT
we have a couple thousand miles on the Pilot Sport A/S 4 and they are great. Very quiet and stick well in the mountains. 45k warranty.
The Costco guy was pushing the Bridgestone Alenza W speed rating but I’ve been sticking with Michelin for years. Like 8 years ago got some Bridgestone Ecopias, I took them back the next afternoon. They rode like crap.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Had the Sports for about 1200 miles so far, they ride really well. They're brand new so take that with a grain of salt. If I remember right, the stock Pirellis rode well when new also. I'm driving 600 miles in to get my kid from college for a break in about a week. No on a side note, if I my memory serves me right, the Pirellis were better on gas. But I'll check on my trip

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Any more updates after some more time with them? Looking to get a new set of tires this week

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My Pirellis did not age well. Put Michelin Pilot AS in 29540R22 with new wheels about 8k ago. Noticeable improvement in traction particularly wet. So far really happy with them. Been pushing them this past few days testing my new big brake kit.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The Toyo Proxes Sport is a good option too.

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Went with the Yokohamas I just don't know if the Pilot was worth the extra $400 ish.. AND the tire shop I do business with said they where on National backorder from there suppliers so my decision was kind of maid for me lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I've had my Michelin Sports for about 6 months now. I'm concerned about their wear rate. I believe that my gas mileage has suffered by about 10%. They handle the dry road well. I've had lots of cars hydroplane and had to change my underwear so I'm not going to push them in the rain. We haven't had much snow around here this winter but they did OK with what we had. We'll see, but I might go back to Pirellis next time. Depending on wear rate

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My Michelin A/S4 is now in need of replacement although I probably have another 2k miles before the wear bars. I have winter tires in the winter but will guestimate I will get about 40k miles out of the Michelins. I have always been a fan of the Sport A/S series but my next set will probably be Pirelli Weatheractive that was mentioned in this thread below. A lot cheaper and good tread wear.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/new-pirelli-tire.4724/

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Like everything else, tire pricing has exploded. While I love the Michelins, you do trade some grip for longevity. Getting 10k to 20k miles less and paying a premium when you do replace them equates to a lot more than chump change. Fortunately retirement leads to less than a quarter the miles I used to put on my ride so it will be a while before I need tires. They might even age out

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I hadn't seen much in talk about Falkens but that was my choice 6 months ago after reading Tire Rack reviews. I appreciate the on track reviews as well as the personal ones and so far, hadn't been let down in my choices through the years. I picked up 4 275/45ZR-21 Falken Azenis FK460 A/S XL tires which now have 9K miles on them and they haven't even broken a sweat! I have no basis of comparison but these are performance all seasons that have gripped in anything I've driven on. They're not going to rival dedicated snow tires in the winter but I had no problem in up to 6" of snow. Wet grip is excellent and dry grip is phenomenal! I'm surprised that at this grip level, it still has a manufacture's warranty of 50K miles! I have put them to the test in acceleration, cornering and stopping and I have yet to hear them even chirp and I am pulling 4.2 0-60s. With that said, they are still smooth and quiet. Price point was 1,238.80 out the door.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Wish I would have looked here before. I put a set of Bridgestone Alenza's on my Fusion Sport and they were incredible. Now i'm in the newer Alenza Ultra AS's and they are exactly that...ass. I can't believe a brand new tire is this noisy. They look great and handle great as long as you keep the radio up. I'm going to struggle to keep this on the ST for 80k...it sounds like I'm in a lifted pickup with off-roading tires...Looks like I need to go back to the shop.