Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Pirelli tire

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Has anyone tried the new Scorpion WeatherActive tire yet on their ST?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Those look very promising, especially since Pirelli states they are also suited for warmer weather use. I’ll need new tires next year - probably - and will be willing to give these a shot even though I have no gripes about the OE Scorpion’s (even in the snow). Pricey for sure, though!

A couple informative links:
https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/scorpion-weatheractive

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-for-the-north-american-market-301626550.html

F2BA52B2-693A-4718-A0B0-9CA2240C8F57.jpeg A9BBFDDD-5D5E-4018-88E4-985716822C33.jpeg

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Damn...it figures. Just bought a full set of their Scorpion Winters (with no mileage warranty). I like the specs on these...

Reactions
The tread pattern looks a lot like the Michelin Cross Climate.

Reactions
I have looked at them also and I have seen people keep them on all year round up here in Minnesnowda. I plan on getting new tires next the factory 20" tires are just okay in the snow and had a couple of close calls so far this season with lousy traction in the snow. They only have 20k on them and are not abused and still have plenty of tread left.

OP
ChefMAC283
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #6
I’m getting them installed tomorrow on a 21” wheel. I’ll let you all know how they feel. I’m worried about the performance aspect. Winter tires are always sloppy so I’m hoping there is a happy medium with these. I’ve got my ST pretty well setup, lowered, sway bars, etc. I like to push her pretty hard so I’ll be the guinea pig.

Reactions
I’m getting them installed tomorrow on a 21” wheel. I’ll let you all know how they feel. I’m worried about the performance aspect. Winter tires are always sloppy so I’m hoping there is a happy medium with these. I’ve got my ST pretty well setup, lowered, sway bars, etc. I like to push her pretty hard so I’ll be the guinea pig.

Well, according to everything Pirelli has put out, they are the best of both worlds and are still going to grip well in warmer weather. I‘ll be in the same boat since I have the Steeda rear bar and just ordered the springs, so I like to push it hard. Looking forward to your thoughts on them!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

Let us know how they perform, I only have 9k on my 22 ST with the stock tires but I am looking to upgrade.

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Looking forward to hearing about these. Hoping for decent winter performance with a W speed rating :)(y)

Reactions
Does Pirelli make a P Zero for the ST? On their website it doesn't show the option when you plug in the year/make/model info. However, I do see 275/45R21 P Zero options out there when searching by tire size alone.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Does Pirelli make a P Zero for the ST? On their website it doesn't show the option when you plug in the year/make/model info. However, I do see 275/45R21 P Zero options out there when searching by tire size alone.
I am not a fan of any pirelli products, especially the P-zero. That was the OEM tire on 3 different mustangs I purchased and the had poor dry traction, poor wet traction, and very poor cold traction. Maybe you've had a better experience and aren't necessarily looking for input, but I personally prefer Michelin's. I just purchased a set of MPS A/S4's for my explorer to be installed soon. My stock Pirelli Scorpions have about 35k on them and probably only have another 4k

Reactions
I am not a fan of any pirelli products, especially the P-zero. That was the OEM tire on 3 different mustangs I purchased and the had poor dry traction, poor wet traction, and very poor cold traction. Maybe you've had a better experience and aren't necessarily looking for input, but I personally prefer Michelin's. I just purchased a set of MPS A/S4's for my explorer to be installed soon. My stock Pirelli Scorpions have about 35k on them and probably only have another 4k
I had P Zero's on my Infiniti QX70s and they were great. Granted, not the same platform but still on an SUV. I might give the Michelin's a shot but Pirelli is a customer of mine so I get a pretty substantial discount, which is hard to pass up.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I had P Zero's on my Infiniti QX70s and they were great. Granted, not the same platform but still on an SUV. I might give the Michelin's a shot but Pirelli is a customer of mine so I get a pretty substantial discount, which is hard to pass up.
I would probably go with Pirelli in that case as well lol.

OP
ChefMAC283
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #14
The Pirelli scorpion is called Zero not P-zero. The P-zero I believe is only a summer tire but I could be wrong.

As for the Scorpion WeatherActive, from my short drive home with them they aren’t too bad. They still feel relatively firm, but new tires are always squishier than worn out tires anyway. It beats the swap out to winter tires since I think the factory tires were garbage in the snow. That will be the real test and the main reason I went this direction.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
The Pirelli scorpion is called Zero not P-zero. The P-zero I believe is only a summer tire but I could be wrong.

As for the Scorpion WeatherActive, from my short drive home with them they aren’t too bad. They still feel relatively firm, but new tires are always squishier than worn out tires anyway. It beats the swap out to winter tires since I think the factory tires were garbage in the snow. That will be the real test and the main reason I went this direction.

These were the OE tires on mustangs for years. I haven't bought a new mustang since 2015, so I am not sure what they have now, but these are the tires to which I was referring. P Zero Nero A/S

1670587030340.png

I don't believe anyone referred to the Scorpion's as P Zero, in fact I was very careful not to, knowing that my Edge's and Explorer all had Pirelli Scorpions.

OP
ChefMAC283
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #16
These were the OE tires on mustangs for years. I haven't bought a new mustang since 2015, so I am not sure what they have now, but these are the tires to which I was referring. P Zero Nero A/S

View attachment 15509

I don't believe anyone referred to the Scorpion's as P Zero, in fact I was very careful not to, knowing that my Edge's and Explorer all had Pirelli Scorpions.
All good, was just saying that the Scorpion line is specifically for SUV/crossover use. So there are P-zero tires on ST’s. Which is why I started this thread to see if anyone had tried a Scorpion Weather active in place of a Scorpion Zero. Which I have now gone and done, and can say I am fairly happy with the choice.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
All good, was just saying that the Scorpion line is specifically for SUV/crossover use. So there are P-zero tires on ST’s. Which is why I started this thread to see if anyone had tried a Scorpion Weather active in place of a Scorpion Zero. Which I have now gone and done, and can say I am fairly happy with the choice.

Did you get the Scorpion Weather Active? I'm curious to know what you think of them.

OP
ChefMAC283
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Thread Starter #18
Did you get the Scorpion Weather Active? I'm curious to know what you think of them.
Yes, yesterday. Only about 40 miles on them, but they good, responsive, seem firm even though they are a 3 season tire. It’s cold here today in the 30’s so fit cold weather they are good. We are supposed to get rain soon and some snow next week which will be the real test. A hot day would be the final test but that’s not happening anytime soon. They feel good cornering especially compared to a snow tire which I have in my bmw X3.

All and all, I would say this was a great purchase if you live in a area with true seasons. Obviously if you live in Texas or Florida this would make zero sense. And from what Pirelli says if you get mountains of snow a year then this also wouldn’t be the best choice. They still recommend the snow tire for heavy snows.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Yes, yesterday. Only about 40 miles on them, but they good, responsive, seem firm even though they are a 3 season tire. It’s cold here today in the 30’s so fit cold weather they are good. We are supposed to get rain soon and some snow next week which will be the real test. A hot day would be the final test but that’s not happening anytime soon. They feel good cornering especially compared to a snow tire which I have in my bmw X3.

All and all, I would say this was a great purchase if you live in a area with true seasons. Obviously if you live in Texas or Florida this would make zero sense. And from what Pirelli says if you get mountains of snow a year then this also wouldn’t be the best choice. They still recommend the snow tire for heavy snows.

Being just outside of Louisville, KY, I believe we probably have very similar weather patterns. If I hadn't just purchased the Michelins, I might've given the Pirellis a try, or at least a research look

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

Living in MN, these tires seem like an excellent fit. It's just too bad there aren't more sizes available for the stock 21's.