Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

Reactions
Anyone with the 2 bolt subframe have issues with one of the bushings twisting? I'll try to get a pic of my early '21, but noticed while installing exhaust, that the passenger side rubber isolator bushing appeared to have started to twist.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I made a Facebook post about all this and it’s getting a lot of attention, seems like a lot of people have the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen posts where people are getting the sub-frame replaced. This could turn into a recall the way things are looking.

El_steveo

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I've seen posts where people are getting the sub-frame replaced. This could turn into a recall the way things are looking.
I have an appointment with my dealer to look at doing the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Jan2021 build here with a 3 bolter. I’m about to move my family cross country from CA to SC the end of December. Was planning on towing a small uhaul trailer, wish me luck.

Edit: adding that I have a 2021 model. I bought

Reactions
Welcome to the South. I moved to NC 20 years ago and have never missed CA. Missed some good people but not the state. On behalf of many CA refugees, whatever you hated in CA leave in CA, and understand there ain't nothing done here like it is in CA, and we wish to keep it that way. Embrace the beauty, culture and independence of the south. If you do, your life will be much richer...just sayin.

Reactions
Anyone with the 2 bolt subframe have issues with one of the bushings twisting? I'll try to get a pic of my early '21, but noticed while installing exhaust, that the passenger side rubber isolator bushing appeared to have started to twist.
I've seen this with the 3-bolt setups.

Reactions
Just saw another one posted on the FB page. Talked to my sales guy today and as soon as their transmission guy comes back, Im getting mine replaced. I see a recall in the near future!
Are they replacing yours preemptively or did you have a failure?

HaMaMsY

Reactions
Hello,

Can some1 with 2 bolts send me his VIN because my dealer want to check a vehicle with 2 bolts before he contact ford.

Thanks

Reactions
This just confirmed all of the research I did while working. Put my head together with my favorite parts guy.

My 2021 ST with a build date of March in Chicago.

My ST was BUILT with subframe part number: MB5Z-5035D ... I will get under my ST and find the part number hopefully on the subframe to confirm but that is the part that was used in my specific build at the Chicago plant.

That MB5Z-5035D subframe is for the 3.3NA hybrid motor for the Limited.

The correct subframe that my VIN number is calling for is MB5Z-5035E which is for the 3.0 Ecoboost.. hence this receipt confirming that part number as the one they replaced your old one with.

I have a printout of the part numbers used in my build and have it highlited next to what Ford actually calls for these vehicles. Next step is sending it to Ford to see if they will swap it out without any failures in mine yet.

Will keep everyone updated!

Reactions
Update: Just got off the phone with Ford Customer Service.. they told me that with the information that I provided (same as above) I should be able to get it swapped out under the bumper to bumper warranty but I'd have to go through the dealership.

My service advisor is telling me that they can't put a warranty claim through with no known "issues" or recalls/TSBs even though this is an extremely LARGE issue without any failures yet.

Him and I will be talking to our direct Ford Warranty representative who will actually be at our dealership on Monday. Will then update again!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Update: Just got off the phone with Ford Customer Service.. they told me that with the information that I provided (same as above) I should be able to get it swapped out under the bumper to bumper warranty but I'd have to go through the dealership.

My service advisor is telling me that they can't put a warranty claim through with no known "issues" or recalls/TSBs even though this is an extremely LARGE issue without any failures yet.

Him and I will be talking to our direct Ford Warranty representative who will actually be at our dealership on Monday. Will then update again!
Excellent work on this Matt. I have a 2021 Platinum 3.0L 'Intelligent AWD' built Sept 9th, w/trailer pkg - with the "1 bolt" configuration. I also purchased the Platinum to tow.
Your persistent efforts will hopefully be what I need to have my vehicle updated with the proper components.

Last edited:
OP
Chrispw24
Reactions
Thread Starter #173
Well done Matt. I would argue that you paid for something you didn’t get. Which is the truth

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
22 ST here picked up yesterday. One bolt.

OP
Chrispw24
Reactions
Thread Starter #177
Did you get the st or the st line

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
That's a fair question. I still think this is a running change. A bad change but change nonetheless.

Last edited: