Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Anyone with the 2 bolt subframe have issues with one of the bushings twisting? I'll try to get a pic of my early '21, but noticed while installing exhaust, that the passenger side rubber isolator bushing appeared to have started to twist.
Hey, I just checked mine and the passenger side rubber bushing was twisted as well. Wonder why and if it’s something to be concerned with or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
2021 ST here and i have the 3 bolt design in mine or 1 on the rear whichever you prefer lol.

Reactions
I will be bringing my Explorer to the dealership on Wednesday for a recall (camera), for my sync acting all crazy regarding the massage seats, but mainly to have my rear subframe inspected and have them contact Ford about the 3 bolt issue. I'll let you guys know if I get anywhere with it.

HaMaMsY

Reactions
my dealer contacted ford regarding the 1 bolt in my ST and this is the reply he got. WhatsApp Image 2021-12-07 at 10.06.43 AM.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
my dealer contacted ford regarding the 1 bolt in my ST and this is the reply he got. View attachment 8796
Well there ya go. Just have to wait for it to fail. Fun!!

Reactions
problem for them is if a catastrophic failure immobilizes a car and kills off a family and kids w/2 dads then it's a PR problem for them, they should replace for anyone who wants it and stop doing it

Reactions
problem for them is if a catastrophic failure immobilizes a car and kills off a family and kids w/2 dads then it's a PR problem for them, they should replace for anyone who wants it and stop doing it
Thats the argument I'm making... this is a legit safety concern... we should be able to have them swapped under warranty whenever we want.. not just upon failure.

Reactions
Some people mention looking up there vin to see what the vehicle is specd out with. Is there a website i can look up to be able to type in my vin # to see about the subframe issue?

Reactions
My claim is into my warranty reps hands.. he's at the dealership all day so he will be calling his Ford guys and will hopefully have an answer today or not if I'll be getting mine swapped out.

Reactions
Some people mention looking up there vin to see what the vehicle is specd out with. Is there a website i can look up to be able to type in my vin # to see about the subframe issue?
Your local dealership parts department should have the capability of pulling the actual build sheet with actual part numbers.

Reactions
Hey, I just checked mine and the passenger side rubber bushing was twisted as well. Wonder why and if it’s something to be concerned with or not.

Id be concerned because if that rubber bushing is twisting it could possibly be over torquing that single bolt thats there and eventually lead to a failure!

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Id be concerned because if that rubber bushing is twisting it could possibly be over torquing that single bolt thats there and eventually lead to a failure!
Ok that’s what I was thinking. I do have the two bolts but will lay off on the quick starts from now on.

Reactions
Ooo gotcha i misread that i was thinking about the driver side bolt. I failed to realize that you mentioned the passenger side rubber bushing.

Reactions
The issue with this is so far there's been less than 5 documented findings on the bolt being broken. Most of them being tuned. I'm hoping they do something about it but so far, there's not enough for them to have a need to change it.

Reactions
The issue with this is so far there's been less than 5 documented findings on the bolt being broken. Most of them being tuned. I'm hoping they do something about it but so far, there's not enough for them to have a need to change it.
It's literally the principle that these performance SUVs are being delivered to factory with parts installed that are not built/rated for the correct application. That alone should warrant us the ability to get them swapped out.

It shouldnt end up coming down to just "documented findings" (which is just us using the number 5 based on facebook and the forums compared to the actual amount of STs out there.

If enough people dive into it with the dealership to get this swapped out.. Ford will do something.

HaMaMsY

Reactions

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Ooo gotcha i misread that i was thinking about the driver side bolt. I failed to realize that you mentioned the passenger side rubber bushing.
No worries. Still concerning though.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions