Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

Reactions
5 instances is enough for me to think they need to do something before someone gets killed, this vehicle was marketed as a performance vehicle and intended for spirited driving this el cheap parts need to go

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
5 instances is enough for me to think they need to do something before someone gets killed, this vehicle was marketed as a performance vehicle and intended for spirited driving this el cheap parts need to go
Agreed. But this issue is Ford Performance is always at odds with Ford and this being just an Explorer. I know Ford has always been a little tight with the purse strings, but their last CEO, that goober from an office furniture company, really screwed them up as far as quality and vendor certification. The cars developed under his watch, the Explorer and Bronco, are clear evidence of that. And unfortunately things like this diff bolt issue are still going to happen until that mentality gets purged from the company.

Reactions
I dropped my ST off at the dealer this morning for the recall camera, a sync issue that just popped up last week and while there, I expressed my concern about the 3 bolt issue vs the 4 bolt. I showed the service guy an ST that was in the parking lot that had the 4 bolt set up (service managers personal ST), so hopefully they can take a look and make some headway. I also provided the correct subframe part number and asked they check the part number on mine. Let's see what happens.

Reactions
I dropped my ST off at the dealer this morning for the recall camera, a sync issue that just popped up last week and while there, I expressed my concern about the 3 bolt issue vs the 4 bolt. I showed the service guy an ST that was in the parking lot that had the 4 bolt set up (service managers personal ST), so hopefully they can take a look and make some headway. I also provided the correct subframe part number and asked they check the part number on mine. Let's see what happens.
Its a good try , but I think some else had the dealer reach out to Ford and they stated the one bolt is normal. The service dept themselves will not cover the cost and Ford knows if they swap it out for one customer they will have to swap it out for everyone. Honestly the people that have had the failure need to file a complaint with NHTSA. This could result in a recall.

Reactions
Its a good try , but I think some else had the dealer reach out to Ford and they stated the one bolt is normal. The service dept themselves will not cover the cost and Ford knows if they swap it out for one customer they will have to swap it out for everyone. Honestly the people that have had the failure need to file a complaint with NHTSA. This could result in a recall.
All I can do is try and it can't hurt. Hopefully those who have experienced the failure will report it.

Reactions
All I can do is try and it can't hurt. Hopefully those who have experienced the failure will report it.
I completely get it. The fact that they switched it on some late 2020 models, seems like almost all 2021s, and im assuming 2022 models as well. Its going to take a safety recall for us to get it fixed the way it should be.

Reactions
I completely get it. The fact that they switched it on some late 2020 models, seems like almost all 2021s, and im assuming 2022 models as well. Its going to take a safety recall for us to get it fixed the way it should be.
Unfortunately you're 100 percent right. I spoke with my service advisor just before. He's got his parts guy and his body shop looking into it. Even if nothing happens yet, hopefully ford will start getting the idea that there a quite a few concerned owners.

Reactions
Unfortunately you're 100 percent right. I spoke with my service advisor just before. He's got his parts guy and his body shop looking into it. Even if nothing happens yet, hopefully ford will start getting the idea that there a quite a few concerned owners.
Let us know what happens....good luck. Mine goes in on the 20th to get the TCU replaced I will also inquire and have them reach out to ford as well.

Reactions
The FenFab Diffy-stiffy looks pretty simple and is akin to what many supports look like across many car models. At the very least it will prevent a major shift if the single bolt is sheared. While thinking about the failure I was wondering if the existing bolt became un-torqued and created play which would weaken the bolt. I have seen this type of failure on some rear double wishbone suspension components. What does seem interesting is that many auto manufactures use an offset single rear attachment. There has to be an engineering reason for this. I am curious which bolt failed on the OP's car. If it was the driver side then maybe the passenger side bolt caused excessive stress on the driver side bolt. This also may be related to the twisted bushings that some have mentioned. I will follow and hope for positive results.

Tommy

Reactions
I hope there is some sign of wear we can show and use to get a replacement before someone gets killed, didn't they learn from the Firestone tyre fiasco, or the crown vic rear tank explosions that goes the explorer nicknamed "exploder" even though it wasn't the PIU that had the problems

Reactions
From reading other posts online , I can only come up with 6 instances of this issue (Think 1 may have been the same person posting on another forum). Do we know if they all had a tune?. We could also look into maybe it was a batch of bolts that had issues.

Reactions
The FenFab Diffy-stiffy looks pretty simple and is akin to what many supports look like across many car models. At the very least it will prevent a major shift if the single bolt is sheared. While thinking about the failure I was wondering if the existing bolt became un-torqued and created play which would weaken the bolt. I have seen this type of failure on some rear double wishbone suspension components. What does seem interesting is that many auto manufactures use an offset single rear attachment. There has to be an engineering reason for this. I am curious which bolt failed on the OP's car. If it was the driver side then maybe the passenger side bolt caused excessive stress on the driver side bolt. This also may be related to the twisted bushings that some have mentioned. I will follow and hope for positive results.

Tommy
The only issue I see with the FenFab mount , the stress it may create on the much smaller housing bolts. If someone had a failure with that on , They may deny the repair. I think as long as we all fall into the 5year/60K powertrain and even have a extended warranty. I would just leave it at the one bolt, until a TSB or recall is put out.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The only issue I see with the FenFab mount , the stress it may create on the much smaller housing bolts. If someone had a failure with that on , They may deny the repair. I think as long as we all fall into the 5year/60K powertrain and even have a extended warranty. I would just leave it at the one bolt, until a TSB or recall is put out.
Agreed on this. And do we have actual documented evidence that at some point 6th gen STs had two bolts? If so, if it were to ever fail, then you say well why did it ever get downgraded to one bolt when previous version of this car had two.

Reactions
Agreed on this. And do we have actual documented evidence that at some point 6th gen STs had two bolts? If so, if it were to ever fail, then you say well why did it ever get downgraded to one bolt when previous version of this car had two.
The only thing im not sure of is why all aviators come with the 2 bolt version. It really makes you wonder why, they have the same powertrain. But we will likely never get the reasoning behind it though.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The only thing im not sure of is why all aviators come with the 2 bolt version. It really makes you wonder why, they have the same powertrain. But we will likely never get the reasoning behind it though.
They are likely trying to avoid the risk of their premium brand having major power train issues and tarnishing the reputation. I guess they are willing to take that risk with the 25% of Explorers that are affected, especially if the failures happen well after warranty expires.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah it’s very strange. I mean that’s enough there given they’re based off the same platform to make a case if it were to fail. Just seems like negligence on fords end. I’m not gonna stress about it but it is interesting nonetheless.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Just placed my order for the “2 bolt” rear subframe through TascaParts.com. I’ll change it out myself as I wouldn’t let a Ford dealer goon check my tire pressure.

My Thanks to the forum member(s) who identified this problem…

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Unless there is proof to the contrary, all MY2020 ST, Platinums had two bolt subframes. Seems the switch was around 12/20