Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I think there is/was a decision made at the assembly plant to install stock-on-hand vs waiting for the correct subframes to arrive, which would delay production. My 2021 VIN calls for the two rear bolts, yet I have a one-bolt installed. I’ll check the build date and update this post.
Build date 04/21

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think there is/was a decision made at the assembly plant to install stock-on-hand vs waiting for the correct subframes to arrive, which would delay production. My 2031 VIN calls for the two rear bolts, yet I have a one-bolt installed. I’ll check the build date and update this post.
I’m catching up in this thread now that I have my 22 ST. But where did you see that your car was supposed to have two bolts?

Reactions
I think there is/was a decision made at the assembly plant to install stock-on-hand vs waiting for the correct subframes to arrive, which would delay production. My 2031 VIN calls for the two rear bolts, yet I have a one-bolt installed. I’ll check the build date and update this post.
where did you run the VIN that shows this? I think this may be a key to getting it replaced, if your VIN shows it supposed to be there that could be ammo to get Ford to replace since the wrong part was installed.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The person at TascaParts.com (Ann C) ran it to check my VIN listed part number against my online parts order. It’s standard procedure for Ford parts dealers.

They’re really tightening up on their info now too. I couldn’t find the actual parts listing for any of my vehicles. Only their junk accessories. SMH

*****Update: the 2021 model isn’t listed online yet. The 2020s are listed…

Edit: - FYI, the part number for my 2021 is
MB5Z-5035-E
- Build Date is 04/2021

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
you can snap a pic of the label on the subframe identifying the part. you can then ask the dealer what part number should be there based on your vin. I believe they also keep track of which parts were installed in your vehicle.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Ford has definitely screwed us on this part. Well, some of us. They probably can’t even tell us which VINs are affected because the decision was made by a supervisor, or many even a senior line worker to use incorrect parts.

Ford has a noted track record on installing incorrect parts in some of their Ford Performance engines and production line cars

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Ford has definitely screwed us on this part. Well, some of us. They probably can’t even tell us which VINs are affected because the decision was made by a supervisor, or many even a senior line worker to use incorrect parts.

Ford has a noted track record on installing incorrect parts in some of their Ford Performance engines and production line cars
*cough* RS gasket *cough*

Reactions

If this is truly an installed incorrect part, ford would be responsible since your vehicle does match the VIN reference. They would have no way of issuing a recall. They would have to recall every explorer to visually inspect.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If this is truly an installed incorrect part, ford would be responsible since your vehicle does match the VIN reference. They would have no way of issuing a recall. They would have to recall every explorer to visually inspect.
Nothing they haven’t done before. 5th carbon monoxide issue.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
No, they only need to recall/inspect the ST versions… Well maybe the Aviator

Reactions
No, they only need to recall/inspect the ST versions… Well maybe the Aviator
Correction, 3.0l* Explorer's

King Ranch and Platinum also fall under the same category. The Aviators were not affected which is odd but not surprised as it is the luxury brand.

Reactions
So per my service department guy at Ford, he had the parts department lool up my VIN and build date and per the build sheet, my ST was supposed to have been built with the 4 bolt rear. Still waiting on a response from Ford regarding this matter. The service guy said they've been having some issues getting responses from Ford lately. Go figure.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
So per my service department guy at Ford, he had the parts department lool up my VIN and build date and per the build sheet, my ST was supposed to have been built with the 4 bolt rear. Still waiting on a response from Ford regarding this matter. The service guy said they've been having some issues getting responses from Ford lately. Go figure.
When was yours built?

Travis

Reactions
Curious, and this may get the attention of Ford, do you think the 3 bolt subframe is going out on the PIU?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Just placed my order for the “2 bolt” rear subframe through TascaParts.com. I’ll change it out myself as I wouldn’t let a Ford dealer goon check my tire pressure.

My Thanks to the forum member(s) who identified this problem…
The new subframe arrived on a pallet, shipping weight 90lbs. My neighbor signed for it and has stored it in his shed. I haven’t seen it yet…

F=MA

Reactions
How much is that subframe?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
How much is that subframe?

Subtotal: $1,175.56

Estimated Shipping: $255.63

Tax: $90.18

Total: $1,521.37

I’m not sure what other parts may come with it, if anything…

Reactions
2022 Fresh off the truck I picked up yesterday with a 11/22 build date. 3 Bolt