Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

mgmack

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
2022 with build date of 11/13/2021. 3 bolt rear subframe

El_steveo

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Ford ended up telling me to pack sand saying that the part WAS correct per the catalogue of parts on that car when it was built. Even though the parts department pulls up a different part. So that means it was a conscious decision by ford to swap out the subframes and that’s why they continue to be built this way. Got a diffy stiffy to supplement. We will see if it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2PAC

Reactions
10/27 MY '21 Build

3 bolts

This is ridiculous, I bought this as a gap car while my ordered vehicle is being built, with plans to run some mods and a tune and now I definitely can't tune it lol.

I'll be attempting to get my sub frame replaced as well.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Maybe those affected need to reach out to this company. They have rigid and bushing style braces for MOPAR.

https://www.getper4mance.com

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Subtotal: $1,175.56

Estimated Shipping: $255.63

Tax: $90.18

Total: $1,521.37

I’m not sure what other parts may come with it, if anything…
There are no other parts included with the subframe, so I’ll likely need to order some bolts/hardware as well. I didn’t realize just how big the damn thing is either! I already have the tools/jack/stands to change it out, but it will be a while before I get to it. Other projects must be completed and moved out of the way before I can focus (pun) on the Explorer.

My 2017 Focus RS needs the new/built engine pulled back out to fix a couple of leaks and is currently in the garage on stands.

My 2021 Aprilia RS660 is also in the garage pending mods completion before it moves out to the “bike” garage where the others “rest” in HVAC comfort.

In that other garage my 2021 V4SP is also undergoing mods, so I’m way behind on all projects/home maintenance after smashing my foot in a severe Lisfranc dislocation/fracture incident back in Sept.

Reactions
I can't believe the penny pinching and bait and switch with the crapy subframe

Reactions
10/27 MY '21 Build

3 bolts

This is ridiculous, I bought this as a gap car while my ordered vehicle is being built, with plans to run some mods and a tune and now I definitely can't tune it lol.

I'll be attempting to get my sub frame replaced as well.
I can honestly say the only way you will get it replaced ....is if you fork the money or at some point down the road they issue a recall or TSB. It has been confirmed that Ford knowingly put this part in place, if they replace yours ....they know they have to replace everyone else's.

Reactions
yes, admitting fault would suggest they need to replace everyones, I wonder if the cars at the ST experience have exhibited damage/wear

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I looked at at least 3 Exploders at the Park City Experience. These were all the 2020 model year vehicles.

Reactions
^^ so they all had the good subframe?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
All MY2020 ST's have the 4 bolt. The switch to 3 bolt was for MY2021, sometime around build 12/20. Only Aviators still get the 4 bolt.

Reactions
I can honestly say the only way you will get it replaced ....is if you fork the money or at some point down the road they issue a recall or TSB. It has been confirmed that Ford knowingly put this part in place, if they replace yours ....they know they have to replace everyone else's.
Or if it breaks, but yeah I'm not too optimistic. Worse come worse it will just stay stock with an axle back

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
^^ so they all had the good subframe?
We weren't looking for the newer subframes when I attended the event because these were 2020's I can only assume they used the 4 bolt subframes.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
All MY2020 ST's have the 4 bolt. The switch to 3 bolt was for MY2021, sometime around build 12/20. Only Aviators still get the 4 bolt.
The rest may get 3-bolt, but the VIN says it should have 4-bolt. The latest part number is “E” and it has 4-bolts. I have one waiting for me to swap it out…

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The rest may get 3-bolt, but the VIN says it should have 4-bolt. The latest part number is “E” and it has 4-bolts. I have one waiting for me to swap it out…
I’m guessing there isn’t a way to personally look up your vin to determine what type of subframe it is supposed to have.

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
12/2/21 build date, 3 bolt...

Just waiting on the thermal cat back, and afe CAI before I take it to the shop for installation. Will be running e85 w/ZFG tune and full bolt ons. I've got the diffy stiffy it it breaks I'll let you know how it goes.

Attachments

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I’m guessing there isn’t a way to personally look up your vin to determine what type of subframe it is supposed to have.
Well, not yet for the MY2021. The Ford parts web sites only list accessories for 2021, so we’ll have to wait until they update (if ever!) before you can search all parts by vin. You can call the dealer parts Dept and ask them to look it up for you though…

ghostfranklin

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I've complained to Ford via twitter and so far they are responding to me, we'll see what happens there as well. I'll keep you posted.