Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Racing Brake is in the game.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #121
I’ll let Warren speak about the lines. I didn’t even take them out of the bag yet and definitely can’t compare to the oem lines yet. These rotors use the oem calipers on RB’s extended mounting brackets.

Reactions
Finally got the RB front and rear 400/380 big brake kits installed. These brakes are awesome! The difference between these and the stock (standard) brakes is night and day. They have great pedal feel, they modulate easily, the front/rear balance is right on, and you can feel a nice, solid grab even when you stop moderately. When I went to bed the pads, I thought the truck was going to stand on its nose. The RB parts installed easily. The rear dust shields were not compatible, but I didn't need those anyway. The only big problem was that the factory had grossly overtightened the front hoses at the chassis end and crushed the threads at the end if the hose. Removing the hoses chewed up the threads along the entire length of the fitting on the hard line. Chasing out the threads on the fittings was not easy. However, even with that, I am very happy to have the stainless steel lines that were included with the kit. Not only do these brakes work, they look mahvelous! They don't look at all lost inside those big wheels. And yes, I know that black wheels are the way to go these days, but I'm old and I still like my wheels shiny.
I want to say THANK YOU! to Unbroken for recommending RB and the BC Forged 22 inch wheels and all the other things he has recommended and posted about. And thanks also to all the others who have found good stuff and posted it along with installation tips (really helpful!). Building up this truck over the past two years has been a whole lot easier and more fun because of all of you.

IMG_3058[1].JPG IMG_3052[1].JPG IMG_3054[1].JPG

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #123
Very nice. I had the exact same issue with the oem fittings up front. I ran out of time and haven’t had a chance to take another shot at it. I got the oem lines back on up front at least.
I’ve been way too involved in the audio build but as soon as that’s done the rear 380 rotors and braided lines all around are next on my list.

Reactions
Congratulations to your successful installation and thank you for sharing.

Wish you a lot of lucks and enjoyable experience with this new brake for the years to come.

This set up is actually one notch above Jeep's Trackhawk, although same 400mm on the front; but their rear has remained at 350mm since WK1 w/o a change.

I like the way you described a "balanced brake" feel to be when you hit the brake pedal regardless it's gradual or sudden w/o a "nose dive".

Last edited:
Reactions
Hello Members and Explorer owners,

Got this thread revived as we like to share with you on the availability of this set up, requested by an Explorer 2020 XLT owner.

Track-hawk Caliper Kit with 400x34mm rotors
This retrofit kit is made for a direct mount to Explorer spindle (no modification) with Brembo 6 pot yellow calipers similar to the kit we offer for SRT8 calipers (380x34mm)

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
In the mustang world a company out of Texas (LMR) makes a bracket to mount the top mount 6 pot brembos off of the GT350 onto side mount spindles found on standard S550 mustangs. They come in two versions, one to work with the 15"/380mm 1 piece rotors from the GT performance pack/bullitt/mach 1, and one to work with the 15.5" 2 piece floating rotor from the GT350. Would it be possible to make a similar bracket to use the GT350 calipers and ford rotors on a 20+ explorer? Also the GT500 uses a massive 16.5" two piece rotor, so there 3 different sizes to choose from. The 15+ mustangs and 20+ explorers use the same 5x114.3mm lug pattern and the same 70.5 mm hub bore. Also the GT350 calipers are less than 1K new for the pair and come in gloss red or matte black finishes.

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-GT350AB-K/sve-gt350-caliper-rotor-adapter-bracket-kit-15-20

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Check Facebook. High Performance Explorer ST group. Guy named Tony Hernandez is making brackets to fit these GT350 calipers and rotors.

Reactions
In the mustang world a company out of Texas (LMR) makes a bracket to mount the top mount 6 pot brembos off of the GT350 onto side mount spindles found on standard S550 mustangs. They come in two versions, one to work with the 15"/380mm 1 piece rotors from the GT performance pack/bullitt/mach 1, and one to work with the 15.5" 2 piece floating rotor from the GT350. Would it be possible to make a similar bracket to use the GT350 calipers and ford rotors on a 20+ explorer? Also the GT500 uses a massive 16.5" two piece rotor, so there 3 different sizes to choose from. The 15+ mustangs and 20+ explorers use the same 5x114.3mm lug pattern and the same 70.5 mm hub bore. Also the GT350 calipers are less than 1K new for the pair and come in gloss red or matte black finishes.

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-GT350AB-K/sve-gt350-caliper-rotor-adapter-bracket-kit-15-20
There's a guy named Tony Hernandez in Murrieta, CA that makes those adapter bars to to just that for the front. He's $400 for the two brackets. He's on Facebook as Tony Hernandez (Jose Hernandez), his profile pic is him on the right with hat and safety looking glasses, his wife on left and two kids. The wife holding one kid in like a salmon color armed jacket. No solution for the rear do to that damned integrated parking brake.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Does he have a website? I'm not on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Does he have a website? I'm not on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media.
I don't think so. He said he'll let me know when they're ready and I'm grabbing a set, I can post here again when they're ready.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #131
Why don’t y’all start a new thread since it’s a completely different product?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I was asking Warren if he could make the bracket and the other two chimed in.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
We chimed in because someone is working on exactly what was being asked about. Figured that was more helpful than Warren probably responding no because he has his kits available.

Anything else would be out of this thread. Not trying to shit on or take away from a great product, just happy to see and spread the word on even more options slowly rolling out for this platform.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
@Warren-RB Sorry for the question, but why do the larger rotor in the rear and not have a larger caliper to take advantage of it? Is the idea to get a larger heat dissipation surface? Seems like not using a portion of the rotor does not gain any benefits?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Simple answer, the larger rotor gives greater leverage and increased stopping power.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
that was my other thought too why.

Reactions
@Warren-RB Sorry for the question, but why do the larger rotor in the rear and not have a larger caliper to take advantage of it? Is the idea to get a larger heat dissipation surface? Seems like not using a portion of the rotor does not gain any benefits?
The Explorer rear caliper is incorporated with parking brake (ePB), so in order to retain the system integrity without impairing the safety the caliper can't be replaced so is the brake pads.

In addition to visual appeal, a larger rotor (in diameter) not only can provide you mechanical advantage (longer brake torque arm thus less pedal effort for the same amount of work), but also offers a larger heat sink which can keep the braking temperature lower for the same brake energy (heat) dissipated, therefor can extend the longevity of the components for the entire brake system (rotor, pad, caliper, hub bearing etc.) vs. stock size.

See our latest release for Tesla Plaid (front and rear*) the stock rear is a 365x28mm rotor, we offer 390 and 410 oversize rotor for rear OE caliper BBK to match with different front BBK.
https://racingbrake.com/model-s-plaid-lr-2021-1/

* Same as Explorer equipped with ePB so only a larger rotor can be offered but no thicker rotor nor larger pad in order to retain the OE caliper.

Same question and answer in Tesla forum rear for a larger rear pad.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6696082/

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thanks Warren. All makes sense.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST