Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Pre-painted fender?

Reactions
Ugh it happened! someone (no one will own up to it) pulled in a bit to far in my wife's car and bumped the shelves in front of the car. Anyway 2 tables fell and of course landed perfectly on my passenger side front fender. Has anyone used a pre-painted company to just have an OEM fender painted and shipped? It appears pretty easy to replace the whole piece and would save a ton of time bringing it to a body shop. Only thing I dread is having to remove those two pesky bolts with tons of locktite on them that attach to the front fascia. I had to remove those for the whipple intercooler. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tommy

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
No one makes pre painted fenders. Best bet would search salvage yards or just get the piece and have a paint shop paint it.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The downside I see to going this route is if the paint isn't a match and they usually aren't you don't have the ability to have the technician do a blend. More often than not this is simply a given.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Paint less dent removal? I have a guy on speed dial

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Unfortunately the paint did crack at the lower seam by the plastic flare/molding. I have a great body shop but they are booked out 3-4 months so I was looking for a quick fix. I just hate cleaning up all the overspray every time I had a portion of the car fixed. It has been 2 decades since then but I don't know if the procedures have improved. Hell I ordered the bumper plugs for the license plate and they are a perfect match. Just trying to figure out best route. Money is not an issue but time down is.

Tommy

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
OK I received the new painted fender and installed it. I ordered the factory OEM part. Everything was well packaged and very communicative. The paint match is probably 9.5/10 but still better than a dent or having to rent a car for 4-5 days at a body shop. I now know why the front fenders stick out a bit at the door line. It is this foam stuff that is in between and is not very pliable. You do have to remove the front cowl and headlight to do this job but pretty well engineered part from ford with slip in attachments.

Attachments

bobter3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer W/SAP
OK I received the new painted fender and installed it. I ordered the factory OEM part. Everything was well packaged and very communicative. The paint match is probably 9.5/10 but still better than a dent or having to rent a car for 4-5 days at a body shop. I now know why the front fenders stick out a bit at the door line. It is this foam stuff that is in between and is not very pliable. You do have to remove the front cowl and headlight to do this job but pretty well engineered part from ford with slip in attachments.
Looks good. At least you were able to do yourself without having it in shop for a week or 2.

Reactions
Where do you get a pre- painted fender from?

bobter3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer W/SAP
OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Yes that is where I ordered it from. Super communicative and a pleasure to deal with. There are several companies that do this but ReveMoto had really good reviews. They also give you the option of factory OEM or aftermarket. They obtain it from a dealer. Yes the OEM is more money but with a new vehicle it is wise.

Tommy

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Looks like a good job! By chance did you get an estimate for a shop to fix? Curious on the price difference.

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
I did not but I know the good places are sooo backed up. I know this because my daughter messes up her brand new VW. The cost of parts was the same as I researched but we all know labor costs can escalate quickly. At $700 total with no down time was so worth it to me. I figured I would give it a chance. Only took a couple hours to R&R. They even sent a touch up paint, cleaner and a brush. I was worried about paint match but they guarantee it 100%.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I have the same issues with my fender to door alignments, did not want to take it in to have it fixed, gonna unbolt it and do it myself, good to see that the fender was not glued in place. Thanks for the writeup!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Hey there - would you mind writing up a few high level steps on how you removed the fender? For instance, not sure what you mean when you say "cowl". I ended up bugging up my fender and am not in need of replacing from the site linked. Also, I just ordered my part, how long did it take you to receive? Looks like 20 days or so?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Hey there - would you mind writing up a few high level steps on how you removed the fender? For instance, not sure what you mean when you say "cowl". I ended up bugging up my fender and am not in need of replacing from the site linked. Also, I just ordered my part, how long did it take you to receive? Looks like 20 days or so?
Cowl or bonnet is another word for the hood. More of a European way of saying the part.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
https://www.foexplorer.com/ford_explorer_removal_and_installation_fender-1181.html
https://www.foexplorer.com/ford_explorer_removal_and_installation_fender_splash_shield-1182.html
https://www.foexplorer.com/ford_explorer_removal_and_installation_cowl_panel_grille-1178.html
https://www.foexplorer.com/ford_explorer_removal_and_installation_headlamp_assembly-1088.html

Last edited:
OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
The front fascia need to be partially removed as there are 2 bolts securing the bumper cover to the fender. I basically followed the install instructions for the whipple intercooler, then located all the bolts securing the fender. Looks like the above post covers everything. Thank you! The time from order to arrival was less than 3 weeks.

Tommy

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
That fender .. on here looks like a dammm good match
Very neat you can order a painted part and have her ready in a few days.

Explorer ST Posts