Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Poll: How many have experienced a "rear axle bolt fracture" (POLL CLOSED 6-4-22)

Have you experienced a rear axle bolt fracture with your ST?

• Yes - 2020 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - 2022 Model Year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #41
Anyone on this forum have contacts at Ford who can communicate with David Johnson?

Untitled1.jpg

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #42
0-64

And that my friends, is probably why Ford is just doing a pcm e-brake adjustment.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That means you must not fall within the recall range. Lucky you!

View attachment 11816
From what I'm seeing here and elsewhere, I think all Explorers will get the recall. I just seen where a person with a 2020 Limited has received the recall notice in Ford Pass. Time will tell I guess.

Reactions
You bring up some great points about adding additional polling criteria, but if I did that now I think it could get somewhat confusing. A new poll perhaps?

Regarding how the Safety Recall will effect the Ford tune (i.e. "acceleration") I haven't got a clue. As I speculated in another post, if Ford wants to avoid a class action lawsuit they could simply add a bit more boost post launch to compensate for the initial loss in acceleration from a standing start.

Does anyone on this forum know any high level Ford Engineers/Ford Customer Relations people they could contact on the issue of lost acceleration?
If you do a second poll, I would suggest limiting it to one bolt owners as well.

If the cause of concern is that only having one bolt leads to that one bolt breaking, it really doesn't matter how many of us two bolters vote on the no my bolt didn't break option. That just further waters down the numbers.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #45
From what I'm seeing here and elsewhere, I think all Explorers will get the recall. I just seen where a person with a 2020 Limited has received the recall notice in Ford Pass. Time will tell I guess.
Time will tell my friend!

If you do a second poll, I would suggest limiting it to one bolt owners as well.

If the cause of concern is that only having one bolt leads to that one bolt breaking, it really doesn't matter how many of us two bolters vote on the no my bolt didn't break option. That just further waters down the numbers.
How much you want to bet if I did a second poll, that shortly afterwards someone would suggest I do a 3rd, 4th, and 5th poll! :unsure: :giggle:

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #46
1-70

That is some great odds there fellers, and the 1 comes from an ethanol tuned ST.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
1-70

That is some great odds there fellers, and the 1 comes from an ethanol tuned ST.
Yeah… no. I did go back to a 93 tune from my E50 tune to lessen the bolt break odds until I can install the new subframe. I will likely order up some ARP or similar bolts for the diff as well.

Based on what the facts we know thus far, the 3-bolt mountings may have passed the required engineering analysis for durability, but the bolts used were not spec’s properly.

This makes the most sense as the police versions are getting the bolts right away. The masses vehicles will likely follow. Those of us who already purchased the 4-bolt subframe “may” not need it if the correct bolts are used…

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #48
Yeah… no. I did go back to a 93 tune from my E50 tune to lessen the bolt break odds until I can install the new subframe. I will likely order up some ARP or similar bolts for the diff as well.

Based on what the facts we know thus far, the 3-bolt mountings may have passed the required engineering analysis for durability, but the bolts used were not spec’s properly.

This makes the most sense as the police versions are getting the bolts right away. The masses vehicles will likely follow. Those of us who already purchased the 4-bolt subframe “may” not need it if the correct bolts are used…
Okay... still tuned.

Even though we may not need the 4 bolt subframe, if you already bought one you might as well install it.

I'm sure everyone here would love to see the install vid.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just a note, I just received the Helm service manual. With a lift it doesn't look that hard. Time consuming but not difficult.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #50
Just a note, I just received the Helm service manual. With a lift it doesn't look that hard. Time consuming but not difficult.
Heh everybody! I think Cruising68 is volunteering to do free rear subframe installs for all forum members! (heh heh)

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #51
1-75

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Heh everybody! I think Cruising68 is volunteering to do free rear subframe installs for all forum members! (heh heh)
Ahhhhh, no :) But I will offer my lift to anybody local that has a need. Maybe we could have a subframe party and get a few done over a weekend :LOL:

Reactions
We have two 2021's and no breakage:). My husband and I both tend drive our ST's as they should be driven, HARD!!!!

Reactions
No for me. Built in early December 2021, I did get the recall notice in the ford app. No mods and a heavy foot

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #55
Ahhhhh, no :) But I will offer my lift to anybody local that has a need. Maybe we could have a subframe party and get a few done over a weekend :LOL:
Man, I've been to a lot of parties in my life, but never a subframe party. Sounds like a wild time!

Seriously though, if anyone does the swap I'm sure all of us here would love to see the vid.

We have two 2021's and no breakage:). My husband and I both tend drive our ST's as they should be driven, HARD!!!!
Same way I drive mine. Respectfully, but tough!

p.s. luv the flags in your avatar. 'Murica!

... No mods and a heavy foot
I think this guy is me.(y)

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #56
1-78

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Star White
got my Recall on my 2/22 ST on the ford pass app, but the only "fix" being offered is for the safty aspect of rolling when in park, so pcm adjustment to apply e brake when its in park... nothing to correct the problem as of yet or replace the bolt, i have the AWR bracket coming anyways just for peice of mind

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #58
got my Recall on my 2/22 ST on the ford pass app, but the only "fix" being offered is for the safty aspect of rolling when in park, so pcm adjustment to apply e brake when its in park... nothing to correct the problem as of yet or replace the bolt, i have the AWR bracket coming anyways just for peice of mind
Thanks for sharing your info with us. Make a vid of the AWR bracket install and post it!

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #59
1-83

Reactions
I concur with the infinitesimally small (albeit avoidable) percentage of breaks.

Regarding omitting the 20 model year, I'll keep it on for right now if by some chance some do occur.
Additionally, Ford has specifically earmarked 2020 model year Explorers as well.

Thanks for your timely insights.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 11799
The thing about this recall, it only states the 3.3l engines for the Police. None for the 3.0l ecoboost.

On the Explorer's side, it doesnt state specific ones, so could mean all of them including the Limited, XLT and ST-Line.

Im pretty sure none of the ST/Platinum owners from 2020 will ever receive this recall and the rest of the trim models will.