Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

PIU struts/shocks

Ntrain2k

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ex Platinum
Anyone know the diameter of the PIU rear sway bars compared to stock?

Reactions
You call it pissing money away…I call it getting what I need to fit the timeframe I need them in…which is fast. I’ll have everything in hand by tomorrow. Online places wouldn’t make any guarantees and if I did overnight shipping it ran the price up to what I paid anyway…and still no guarantee on when they would ship out.

Here’s an online place with no ship date guarantee but overnight shipping when it leaves. I paid $724 and will have it all tomorrow. Tasca was 3-7 business days just to get them in their hands before they shipped.
View attachment 20499
So the prices didn’t really go up. You just got raped on shipping.

Anyone know the diameter of the PIU rear sway bars compared to stock?
Read the thread. It’s in Post #2.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
So the prices didn’t really go up. You just got raped on shipping.
No…that’s what shipping would have been to get the parts to me overnight…but overnight means after they process and ship which can take up to a week depending on where you order. I’m picking the shit up today and I gladly paid for that convenience so I can keep a schedule I’m trying to meet. I’m glad what I spent my own money on is so important to you that you have to keep making snarky comments about it.

Reactions
Couldn’t care less, but it’s a bummer that shipping hurts. My post showing the screen shots was for the benefit of anyone thinking the prices had actually gone up on those items, which they haven’t. If others need them and aren’t in a hurry, the “normal” costs are still reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Installed the PIU rear shocks at 2 years/18k miles. Original shocks on my '21 Platinum were leaking. 15 minutes per shock once the wheel is off.
I run Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 265/65 R18 on Enkie XM-6 18x8 wheels. First test drive with the PIU rear shocks revealed a medium increase in road feel. I'm pleased with the result.

Attachments

Last edited:

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
Installed the front PIU struts (LB5Z-18124-H PIU front right, LB5Z-18124-R PIU front left, $220 shipped from Levittown Ford) today. My Steeda springs definitely settled a little because I didn't need to use a spring compressor--just put a little force down on the strut mount and was able to thread on the top nut. I did reuse all other parts which seemed in good condition. Install took about an hour and a half. As with the shocks, the PIU struts were definitely much harder to compress than the old, likely worn, ST struts. The ride with both PIU struts and shocks installed is super nice. Very responsive and solid feeling. Car feels more stable but there is definitely more road feel so maybe not a good choice if you want more comfort. The trade off is worth it to me. Would definitely recommend if you need new struts and shocks, especially if lowered. I

Old ST struts:
View attachment 17431 View attachment 17432

PIU struts
View attachment 17429 View attachment 17430
View attachment 18326 View attachment 18327
What size tires/wheels do you have?

I'm curious if someone ran a 20" wheel/tire or a 18" wheel/tire wouldn't feel as much harshness with the PIU as they would with either 21" or 22" wheels.

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #67
What size tires/wheels do you have?

I'm curious if someone ran a 20" wheel/tire or a 18" wheel/tire wouldn't feel as much harshness with the PIU as they would with either 21" or 22" wheels.
I have the stock 21" rims. I will say after a 1000 mile break-in, they no longer are harsh except on choppy roads. I still feel road feel is enhanced. Car is definitely more stable, especially at speed.

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #68
Update: after 18k miles and about 10 months, the ride with the PIU shocks/struts is definitely not as firm as it was. I had both rear shocks out and noticed oil "sweat" around the top 2" of the shocks. Testing compression and rebound by hand, it is clearly much softer than when they were new. They are not blown but the oil around the tops on both sides makes me wonder if they are defective. Seems pretty common on Ford rear shocks for our vehicle. I reached out to the Ford online dealer who responded that some sweat may be normal. I had already cleaned them up without taking pics so will do so in about a month. Motorcraft parts have a 2 year warranty. Bottom line: disappointed!

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
Update: after 18k miles and about 10 months, the ride with the PIU shocks/struts is definitely not as firm as it was. I had both rear shocks out and noticed oil "sweat" around the top 2" of the shocks. Testing compression and rebound by hand, it is clearly much softer than when they were new. They are not blown but the oil around the tops on both sides makes me wonder if they are defective. Seems pretty common on Ford rear shocks for our vehicle. I reached out to the Ford online dealer who responded that some sweat may be normal. I had already cleaned them up without taking pics so will do so in about a month. Motorcraft parts have a 2 year warranty. Bottom line: disappointed!
I don't understand why Bilstein doesn't make a B6/B8 strut/shock for the Explorer. It's one of the most popular vehicles in its segment.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Motorcraft parts have a 2 year warranty. Bottom line: disappointed!
For the cost, I still may get them.

Ntrain2k

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ex Platinum
I saw mention earlier that this was the same shock Steeds sells. Any solid conformation on this?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I saw mention earlier that this was the same shock Steeds sells. Any solid conformation on this?
Steeds sells oem ST shocks as an upgrade for lower models, the PIU parts aren’t the same PN’s

Ntrain2k

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ex Platinum
Steeds sells oem ST shocks as an upgrade for lower models, the PIU parts aren’t the same PN’s
Thanks.

Reactions
Got my PIU rear bar and shocks installed today. I’d say it’s every bit as planted as it was with the Steeda rear bar (mine was completely rusted, so it had to go). My shocks only have 35,000 miles and one was starting to leak, but the PIU versions still feel slightly stiffer which is perfect. It’s a great bang-for-the-buck, and even better - the e-coating on OEM bars isn’t going to rot away.

Not intending to bash Steeda, but this is my bar after two years in OH & MI. I have no desire fussing with getting it powder coated again, so was happy to just add the PIU gear instead.

View attachment 18323
can you clarify, the PIU bar is thicker than the stock ST, how it compare to the Steeda> sorry if I already asked you, before

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
can you clarify, the PIU bar is thicker than the stock ST, how it compare to the Steeda> sorry if I already asked you, before
It measures in between the 2.