Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

PIU struts/shocks

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I replaced all hardware when I replaced my rear shocks about a month ago.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
At two years and 16k miles I'm replacing the rear shocks and want the LB5Z-18125-J PIU shocks for increased control when towing.
Those of you that have replaced rear shocks did you also replaced the upper bolts and lower nut or reuse the existing ones?
Ours also went out at just under 17K, the right rear was clunking so loud we didn't even drive it until the replacements came. But I used the original bolts with no issues so far. The PIU shocks seem to be a nice upgrade, but hopefully some aftermarket replacements show up soon.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Thanks all for your help. I ordered the PIU shocks and new hardware.
The shocks are on national supply delay until 2nd week of October. :censored:

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I'm the guy. We are shipping them off soon. 2 ST units (front/rear) and 2 PIU units (front/rear). All are brand new from the respective 2023 model years.
Did you ever get any test results?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Thanks all for your help. I ordered the PIU shocks and new hardware.
The shocks are on national supply delay until 2nd week of October. :censored:
PIU rear shocks arrived today.
Thank you Benny and Mike at Levittown Ford Parts

IMG_3466.JPG IMG_3479.JPG IMG_3478.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I just want to make sure I’m reading this right. We can replace the ST shocks with the PIU shocks ? And if I’m seeing the pictures correctly, it does actually lower the vehicle a little more ?

I do wish Billstein would get in the game already.

Reactions
I just want to make sure I’m reading this right. We can replace the ST shocks with the PIU shocks ? And if I’m seeing the pictures correctly, it does actually lower the vehicle a little more ?

I do wish Billstein would get in the game already.
Same chassis, same fit. They have zero to do with ride height. Seems it has been asked before.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Same chassis, same fit. They have zero to do with ride height. Seems it has been asked before.
Thanks.
sorry for the repeat question. From the pictures posted, it seemed to have gone just a tiny bit lower.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks.
sorry for the repeat question. From the pictures posted, it seemed to have gone just a tiny bit lower.
Shocks have zero effect on ride height

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
Awesome. Thanks for taking the leap and trying these. I had a feeling they’d be stiffer since the PIU rear bar is 23mm compared to 21.7mm in the ST. These will be a great option for anyone who has a larger rear bar and wants to tackle some curves with less under-steer. Have the PIU rear bar comping for mine (the Steeda bar is covered in rust and needs to be re-coated), so might just add the shocks while I’m there. Total bummer that Bilstein hasn’t come through, but these will be a good start!
Is it possible that the PIU shocks are pretty good and inexpensive that Bilstein doesn't see much of a market opportunity for their product?

Do we know who is the OE supplier for the PIU shocks?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Anyone running both the shocks and struts? And thoughts or reviews? I’m at 80K now…it’s beyond time. I’m inclined to grab the PIU versions tomorrow.

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #52
Anyone running both the shocks and struts? And thoughts or reviews? I’m at 80K now…it’s beyond time. I’m inclined to grab the PIU versions tomorrow.
Have 10k miles on my PIU struts/shocks now. Ride is very nice. I dont need testing...they are firmer than stock. Perfect for lowering springs.

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
Does anyone know the 'correct' part numbers for matching PIU springs? There seem to be a lot of spring variations...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Got them all ordered…not as cheap as I’ve read about. Just shy of $800 for both struts and shocks out the door.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'll be interested in reading your response.

Reactions
Does anyone know the 'correct' part numbers for matching PIU springs? There seem to be a lot of spring variations...
You have to look at the spring codes on your VIN label. Mine matched with one variation of the PIU springs which leads me to believe they share them with the ST. IMG_1166.jpeg IMG_1165.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #57
Got them all ordered…not as cheap as I’ve read about. Just shy of $800 for both struts and shocks out the door.
It's kind of crazy how much parts have gone up in just a matter of months. I just checked... Paid $440 shipped for PIU shocks and struts Mar/Apr '23.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's kind of crazy how much parts have gone up in just a matter of months. I just checked... Paid $440 shipped for PIU shocks and struts Mar/Apr '23.
Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
The prices really didn’t go up - unless you suck at searching and pay full retail. Any dealership that sells parts online isn’t going to bend you over on these. It’s why places like Tasca, Tousley, Levittown, etc. advertise on forums. Gotta’ put in some effort as a buyer though unless you prefer to just piss money away.

These screen shots are from my guys at Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor, MI - yet another place for good deals.

IMG_1690.jpeg IMG_1689.jpeg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You call it pissing money away…I call it getting what I need to fit the timeframe I need them in…which is fast. I’ll have everything in hand by tomorrow. Online places wouldn’t make any guarantees and if I did overnight shipping it ran the price up to what I paid anyway…and still no guarantee on when they would ship out.

Here’s an online place with no ship date guarantee but overnight shipping when it leaves. I paid $724 and will have it all tomorrow. Tasca was 3-7 business days just to get them in their hands before they shipped.
IMG_2041.jpeg

Last edited: