Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

PIU struts/shocks

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
It's too bad Bilstein hasn't dipped its toe in the Exploder pond. I think a set of their 5100s rear shocks and front coil overs would be just the ticket for a lot of Exploders. These of course wouldn't be the solution for owners that desire an '85 Town Car ride. :D

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
https://realtruck.com/p/bilstein-b6-performance-shocks-struts/bil-24-266664/

Any one check the fitment? Will this set work on our vehicles?
I have read that Bilstein does not make a shock for the platform.
That website says they fit and are in stock, but that is questionable since the Bilstein site still states they do not make shocks for this platfrom. My piu's for the rear should be delivered tomorrow so I will wait until I can replace all four with Bilstein or KYB's.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It's too bad Bilstein hasn't dipped its toe in the Exploder pond. I think a set of their 5100s rear shocks and front coil overs would be just the ticket for a lot of Exploders. These of course wouldn't be the solution for owners that desire an '85 Town Car ride. :D
B8’s would be perfect for this car with drop springs. 5100’s belong on a truck.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
B8s would be a great choice for a lowered Exploder. Not the perfect choice for stock height. 5100s would be a good choice for a vehicle of this weight and is used for anything other than highway or road miles. As neither of these products is made (at this point) for an Exploder, can't say either would be a perfect choice.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
B8s would be a great choice for a lowered Exploder. Not the perfect choice for stock height. 5100s would be a good choice for a vehicle of this weight and is used for anything other than highway or road miles. As neither of these products is made (at this point) for an Exploder, can't say either would be a perfect choice.
For this car…B8’s would be ideal for lowering springs like I originally said. B6’s would be ideal for stock height.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
For this car…B8’s would be ideal for lowering springs like I originally said. B6’s would be ideal for stock height.
Interesting. I've only been in a single car with B6s but didn't feel like these offered anything truly discernable over the OE shock we took off. Some have claimed (Camaro guys) these raise the load compression on the springs by altering saddle height mounts, essentially making springs stiffer and lifting slightly. In my limited experience with this product, if an OE feel is what you're after, they are an excellent replacement shock.

As I said previously, they don't make these shocks for the Exploder just yet. As Bilstein doesn't make a shock by any designation for this vehicle, I feel that speculation on "ideal" is a bit of a stretch. For me, I'll just wait and see what that product may be once they do. :unsure:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Interesting. I've only been in a single car with B6s but didn't feel like these offered anything truly discernable over the OE shock we took off. Some have claimed (Camaro guys) these raise the load compression on the springs by altering saddle height mounts, essentially making springs stiffer and lifting slightly. In my limited experience with this product, if an OE feel is what you're after, they are an excellent replacement shock.

As I said previously, they don't make these shocks for the Exploder just yet. As Bilstein doesn't make a shock by any designation for this vehicle, I feel that speculation on "ideal" is a bit of a stretch. For me, I'll just wait and see what that product may be once they do. :unsure:
What you call speculation I call having several conversations with Bilstein trying to get them on board with this platform…and hearing what they had to say.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I appreciate the conversation on this topic.
The PIU shocks are the best we can do presently.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I appreciate the conversation on this topic.
The PIU shocks are the best we can do presently.
A guy on FB has just bought the ST and PIU shocks and struts. He’s trying to locate someone to actually test compression and rebound now to find out exactly what, if any, the differences are.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
What you call speculation I call having several conversations with Bilstein trying to get them on board with this platform…and hearing what they had to say.
That must be the difference in our opinions. You've spoken to them several times, I've only spoken to them twice, about 6 months apart. In my discussions, they didn't give an inch in either conversation on what they were thinking other than that they had no plans at this time. Given the little that I learned from them, I'll still call it speculation.

bguild

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
A guy on FB has just bought the ST and PIU shocks and struts. He’s trying to locate someone to actually test compression and rebound now to find out exactly what, if any, the differences are.
I'm the guy. We are shipping them off soon. 2 ST units (front/rear) and 2 PIU units (front/rear). All are brand new from the respective 2023 model years.

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #34
I'm the guy. We are shipping them off soon. 2 ST units (front/rear) and 2 PIU units (front/rear). All are brand new from the respective 2023 model years.
That's an awesome idea. Can I ask who's doing the testing? Hopefully you'll post results to this forum? Some of us don't have facebook.

Also, were the part# the same as I listed above. When I was looking at PIU parts it seemed like there were some listings that were shared with base Explorers. It was almost as if there are some PIU parts that were made for less heavy duty applications.

Reactions
I’ve put over 1,000 miles (maybe closer to 2,000) on my rear combo of the PIU shocks and sway bar, including towing my boat a bunch. From a manual compression of both pairs, it definitely seemed as if the PIU units were much stiffer. After driving with them and feeling the firmer ride, it seems obvious. I’d be very surprised if the results of a test were negligible. Too bad there just isn’t a way to get the data right from Ford.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That would be nice but since there’s not, Brian bought brand new parts and is sending them for testing on a shock dyno. There won’t be any room for conjecture after that.

Reactions
I had asked Brad (sgt1411, off the top of my head) if he could have scored some of that info since he is part of the police advisory board, but never followed up. If I recall, he did confirm additional “stiffness” with the dampers, coming from a Ford Engineer.

EDIT: Here was a quote from him in a PM…

So I just spoke to one of the Police Team Engineers he did confirm your suspicions.

He said the PIU Valving, Springs, Sway bars are more aggressive in the PIU then the stock ST

He mentioned the ST TrackPack brakes are shared on both PIU and ST......he did say the TrackPack is not just hardware its also different brake software.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I’ve put over 1,000 miles (maybe closer to 2,000) on my rear combo of the PIU shocks and sway bar, including towing my boat a bunch. From a manual compression of both pairs, it definitely seemed as if the PIU units were much stiffer. After driving with them and feeling the firmer ride, it seems obvious. I’d be very surprised if the results of a test were negligible. Too bad there just isn’t a way to get the data right from Ford.
I've put only 225 miles on my rear PIU shocks and they definately feel stiffer with improved cornering. But we'll know if that's just in my mind when the facts come back.

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #39
I have 8 thousand miles on my PiU struts shocks. After break-in of about a thousand miles, I feel any harshness is gone. Loving the ride but honestly can't say for sure if the ride is much different than when the car was new. too many variables now too. I would certainly be interested in the results of empiric testing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
At two years and 16k miles I'm replacing the rear shocks and want the LB5Z-18125-J PIU shocks for increased control when towing.
Those of you that have replaced rear shocks did you also replaced the upper bolts and lower nut or reuse the existing ones?

Attachments

Last edited: